MCU Phase 5 - Secret Invasion

Rogue 3

Saw the first episode last night - good cast, they clearly look like they are having lots of fun!

Biggest criticism I’m reading about online is that the opening titles were (apparently) AI generated - massively unpopular not allowing artists to do their work.

But that aside, loved the scenes with Olivia Coleman (she has national treasure status here in the UK!) and Fury.
Problem I have is coming into this on the back of Picard and having a double whammy of Shapeshifter plots. Trust no one, are characters really dead and the resolution of these types of things can be a bit “hit the reset button”. Not my favourite type of plot as you might be able to tell. But I thought we got off to a decent start.

Yeah that opening animation was crap, really unclear why they did that, given that it's freaking Disney and Marvel who employ countless artists. It felt like a weird flex against the writer's strike with our big AI talking points.

THAT said, thought it was a great start. Jackson is acting the crap out of it-- I love how he's played the character at different ages now and has really found a way to have different nuances between the 90s era Fury, the Phase1-3 version, and now. He's def not phoning it in.

Also-- didn't see that death coming! Surprised more people aren't talking about it.

To be honest, the dead character hasn't really done much in any of their previous appearances, so while it wasn't expected, I didn't feel much either. Doesn't help that I'm not a fan of the actor. I'm more interested to know when Ross was taken over, because the last time we saw him, in Wakanda Forever, wasn't he still technically a fugitive? If he was, he/Skrull-Ross had to have gotten back onto the CIA/SHIELD/the US government's good side between WF and now in order to have been working with Hill, who clearly didn't know he was a Skrull.

Also is Ross at all related to Thunderbolt and Betty Ross? I'm guessing not but it's not common for a world like this to re-use last names, even a common one like Ross.

I was shocked by the death! I know they haven't done much lately, but they're always just like a comfort character showing up randomly. Just nice knowing that there's someone out there fighting the good fight completely behind the scenes. 

Yeah, really enjoying it! 3rd episode was just as good. 
My only fear with this is how it ends - so many in places of power and up for the objective of their leader. Fearing some sort of easy resolution as we are already half way through!

But thoroughly enjoying it. Great cast, well written dialogue, and lots of fun.

Yeah ok, episode 5 was another belter! Loving this series - a shame it finishes next week!  
Really enjoying Olivia Coleman’s “Sonya Falsworth” character - is this a brand new addition to the Marvel world or does she have a history in the comics?

Hope this is a sign of good things ahead for the MCU after a few lacklustre outings.

Disney's evil POS CEO has said Marvel and Star Wars are both in danger of over-spending and watering down quality by having too many entries... which... you know, was kinda his decree? I'm all for less Marvel overall if it means the quality can get back to where it was, which this show is proving it can. That said, the shows have all been pretty decent, it's the films that have been lackluster.

Yep, agree with you there Tank - the TV shows have been very enjoyable and moved things along with Avengers 2.0, for want of a better description!

As to the final episode, it’s been getting some negative comments online and I understand that. All resolved very quickly which was my fear in the opening post, and referring to She-Hulk’s final episode (online, not in Secret Invasion itself), of big CGI battle vs character driven resolution.

But hey, I had fun watching it and overall really enjoyed this series.

I was disappointed by the final episode but really liked the show overall. I’m surprised to learn it’s the worst reviewed marvel show so far. But to be honest, my standards for what I enjoy have decreased the older I get. I don’t have the time and energy to be pissed off or cynical about my entertainment all the time anymore

I get the criticisms, but I liked the episode and loved the show, overall.

it definitely wasn’t Secret Invasion from the comic, for both good and bad, but as a showcase for Fury, it was fantastic. I still would have enjoyed it if the Skrull Invasion was a lingering plot point for a whole phase, similar to the comic build up to the event, but clearly that wasn’t part of the plan here.

My favorite bit of the finale may actually be the ending with the president.  His reaction to the skrulls sure seems like buildup to the government and people having similar reaction to mutants once they start showing up.

On 7/27/2023 at 2:02 PM, Darth Krawlie said:

Yeah, I get that, but it’s still crazy to brand ALL of worlders as enemies of the state. Does that mean Thor can’t come back?

It’s comical how much of an overreaction it is, but making the public biased against mutants, given the popularity of the avengers in-universe really requires something over the top to make any sense.

It was somewhat clumsily done since the buildup made it seem like this president was a reasonable guy (or at least it seems that way to me), but they really never said too much about him really, did they? 

Even with all the messed up stuff that has happened in their world, I’d imagine that knowing shapeshifting aliens are among you would super mess with people and could make regular people start to distrust new groups of powered people showing up more.  Of course, this could also just be yet another one of the storylines opened up post-Endgame that just won’t really go anywhere useful, too.

It may be setting up the next Captain America movie which is coming off Falcon & Winter Soldier giving Cap a less than noble government as a backdrop.

I am with the crowd hating on the director of this show hinting Rhodes was replaced after Civil War— which makes zero sense.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.