James Bond - Spectre

Stevil

Anyone seen this yet?

Went last night with my good lady. I really enjoyed it. Spectre is probably the best Bond I've seen. Probably the most complete. It just had all the ingredients to be a Bond Movie and it did them well. It wasn't a homage fest like Skyfall but there were enough subtle nods to past Bond movies without putting a big sign up saying "reminisce here"

It more just subtly put you in mind of things and places and locales without directly referencing it.

Also it does a good job of referencing the previous 3 Daniel Craig movies and tying them all together.

Must see for all good Bond fans :)

• 2 weeks later...

I dug it. Not nearly as good as Skyfall, but still a solid Bond movie.

My only complaint is that it felt like the writers were too intent on finally making a Craig film with the full "Bond formula." All of the old Moore or Brosnan era pieces are there, but completely without the post-modern Craig real-world grounding. It's a little offputting, but not to the point where it makes it bad or anything.

I preferred it. It made it stand out from any other action film. The old Bond swagger and tongue-in-cheek humour was back.

My main complaint is the villain reveal (as he was tied down) was a bit of a let down. I expected more momentum behind the name. Instead it was kind of blurted out mid-sentence. Everything else paid fan service pretty well so I thought they would hype that moment up.

I don't mind it being a little more formulaic to Bond, but it just feels out of place here and sets the franchise back.

Skyfall felt like such a crescendo to the thesis of this iteration of Bond. It both literally and figuratively blew up his origins and motivation and kind of set the character up as a far more modernly relevant one as opposed to an aged stereotype. Spectre, while still a cool Bond movie, kind of forgets all of that progress and lets Bond devolve back to that stereotype. The movie itself was solid, but that damage to the franchise is what was kind of off putting to me.

I get why opinions are divided on Skyfall, the choices Mendes and the writers made are honestly kind of divisive.

But honestly in my opinion, the more I let it age, the more I'm willing to put it up there in my all time top ten list. My go to answer for "Best Film of All Time" for years has been Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, and Skyfall shares so much in common with it. Balls to the wall but slightly realistic action, an evolving and character building arc for the hero, a lot of humor thrown in, a really compelling performance from an older actor, it keeps going.

I've seen more of Craig's (4/4) and Brosnan's (3/4) Bond films than I have of Moore's (2 or 3 as a kid at the drive-in) and Connery's (1), so I sure can't throw stones.

I'm interested in the next one. With Mendes and Craig both saying they are out it will be curious to see what comes next for the only franchise that's always been into rebooting.

Several news sources have reported Craig is under contract for one more. So yeah, him doing one more Bond film under strenuous, grumpy protest could be a fascinating trainwreck if they don't find a way to make it worth his time.

The latest from Daniel is that he's made no decision on whether he will do any more.

From what I've read he had a lot more to do with the production this time round including the script. Maybe that's what will keep his hand in.

Personally I'd like him to stay on and do at least one more. But he hates the physical side of the movie. He has to get himself in shape which is hard because he's not getting any younger and the sheer physicality of the Craig Era Bond takes its toll on him.

To him it's a bit of an ordeal. But I think he likes the finished product so it's a bit of a love hate relationship.

I wonder why Bond actors get burned out so ****ing fast? The Fast and Furious movies can't be any more grueling shoots and Vin's done 5 full ones and is game for more. But 4 Bond movies in every actor pusses out. I honestly don't get it.

Didn't Vin leave the franchise, find the grass wasn't so green and go back?

I've seen more of Craig's (4/4) and Brosnan's (3/4) Bond films than I have of Moore's (2 or 3 as a kid at the drive-in) and Connery's (1), so I sure can't throw stones.

I'm interested in the next one. With Mendes and Craig both saying they are out it will be curious to see what comes next for the only franchise that's always been into rebooting.

Several news sources have reported Craig is under contract for one more. So yeah, him doing one more Bond film under strenuous, grumpy protest could be a fascinating trainwreck if they don't find a way to make it worth his time.

HA! I've seen every single one. The Moore ones can be cringe worthy (they feel real dated compared to say older ones or the newer modern reboot-ee ones). Sean Connery's very last Bond was one I felt he was finally done with that franchise and you could sense it. Like the heart wasn't there.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.