Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

Anyway, my one problem with multi doc stories is they never adress the fact that outside of the first doctor, they'd all have a memory of meeting themselves and know it was coming. I think the 5 Doctors adressed that somewhat with some sort of timey-wimey explanation.. but still...

I think the explanation was that the event pulled each version out of phase with time. Allowing these meetings to happen and not be recalled as having happened until after the event was over. Thus when they met it was all, "Hey! Who are you? You're me? Wait. What?!" and not "Oh this is that time we all met for tea. Oh yes, baddie. It's the president, lets get him!"

Time Scoop bitches, it can do anything!!

If they brought back McGann I would cry. I love the Eighth Doctor. Probably just because nobody knows who he is, but also because his audio adventures are great! Next week is Amy, Rory and Doctor - Earth based. Looks great.

ALSO - A certain Mr Gaiman may have revealed he is going to write another episode for the next season....

Doc 8 can be whatever ge McGann actually is since we have no idea how long he lived before regenerating. 9-12 are obviously still in fighting shape.

Aside from the First Doctor, I'm guessing he's the longest lived:

Despite the fact the Eighth Doctor appeared on television only once, he is the most prolific of all the Doctors (to date) in terms of number of individual stories published in novel, novella, short story and audio form.[5]

Well that's because he was the last official Doctor before the franchise took a 16 year break from TV. Is there a chart somewhere of in canon how old each regeneration is?

Given that he was almost 300 years old at the start of the show with the first Doctor, I'd say that was his longest lived form.

Yeah, the First not only said he was old but looked "ancient". Unless we want to assume Timelords pop into existence like their regenerations do (sorta a neat idea). If not, instead we could assume they are at first born, as babies (can't recall if it's said otherwise)... As such the First Doc could truly symbolize just how a Timelord ages prior a regeneration... 300 years of age = a late 70+ year old looking human.

Afterthought: Although I think last season said the 11th was 200 years older than the 11th's first appearance so... hmm. Ugh. Timey Wimey is so frustrating!

The TV Movie took place in 1999 (even though it aired in 1996), and it was implied that the 9th Doctor was born right before the events of 'Rose' (he hadn't even had a chance to see what he looked like until he got into Rose's house), which was in 2005. So, the Eighth doctor was around for about 6-7 years. The 7th Doctor, therefor, would have been around for 12 years, making him the second longest incarnation of the Doctor in-universe.

While that is all well and good, Obsidian. It means about jack squat in relation to a man... excuse me... an alien that travels in time. See Earth's timeline for the 8th Doctor might technically be from 1999 to 2005, but it's not like the Doctor existed in linear time. He could have, and obviously did by looking at the Doctor Who "EU", dash around existence for ages and ages.

But a side note on the 7th Doctor, am I the only one that noticed how insane he was and in many ways sorta was like the "prophesied" 13th Doctor aka the Valeyard (if I remember all my lore right). Would be sorta cool if that concept somehow came back around again, btw.

The TV Movie took place in 1999 (even though it aired in 1996), and it was implied that the 9th Doctor was born right before the events of 'Rose' (he hadn't even had a chance to see what he looked like until he got into Rose's house), which was in 2005. So, the Eighth doctor was around for about 6-7 years. The 7th Doctor, therefor, would have been around for 12 years, making him the second longest incarnation of the Doctor in-universe.

Yeah, what Torch said. just because he was on Earth around those times doesn't account for his age.

I was just referring to the 16 year real world gap in which the ONLY Dr. Who was audio stories and books, and tons were cranked out with McGann.

Back to Torch's point though, there are gaps within single Doctors themselves. The 11th doctor jumped a couple hundred years before this current season. It was implied the 10th also travelled alone for quite awhile after what happened to Donna.

Truth be told they haven't been consistant. The 7th Doctor said he was 950 something, but the 9th said he was 900. The 4th Doctor claimed to be 759. The 2nd said he was 450 in his first episode, which is a couple hundred years older than what the first Doctor was mentioned being, which is problematic considering they had human companions with them at all times, so we couldn't say that despite what was seen onscreen that the first Doctor had 200 years of adventures in between his episodes.... unless he dropped Susan off somewhere, went out for a century, then came and picked her up where he left her.... which is possible considering that they've implied this is exactly what the 11th Doctor has been doing with Amy and Rory.

It would seem to me though, that given how old the first Doctor was, and that was his first form, that this version went long enough that his body was that of an old man by the time we saw him. But, again, he is assumed to be 200-300 years old at that point... and the 10th and 11th Doctor already ran longer than that and hadn't aged at all. THEN AGAIN, maybe they age slower because they both regenerated so young. Maybe the aging process speeds up as they get older.

But if that were the case, why not always regenerate young? The first two regenerations started in middle age. It's been said more than once there can be some free will involved in regenerating. Romana tried on various looks, the 11th Doctor mentioned a timelord that was sometimes a woman, Mels/Melody/River gave herself some cosmetic alterations, and the Master specifically "went young" after seeing the Doctor do it.

They've also implied the Dr. lies about his age as most old people do. So really, I don't think there's a way to answer my own question because there isn't enough data, and what there is isn't consistant.

The only things we know for sure is that Time Lords age pretty slowly and never change their clothes and like to lie.

But a side note on the 7th Doctor, am I the only one that noticed how insane he was and in many ways sorta was like the "prophesied" 13th Doctor aka the Valeyard (if I remember all my lore right). Would be sorta cool if that concept somehow came back around again, btw.

It was a sort of evil Doctor that manifested *between* his 12th and 13th incarnations whatever that means. And his plan was pretty ludicrous as well, stealing his previous regenerations. I do wonder if they will ever address it in the new series as it is coming around sooner than later.

12.5 huh?

You know what... this can be done radly. Is it canon that Flesh-Doctor is dead? Because he looks like a great 12.5 to me! He's Flesh, but still a Timelord, they beat our heads in with that. Plus he could be slowly having his viewpoint twisted knowing he's the copy... nothing like the green monster to destroy a man or Timelord or Flesh uhh thing.

Plus, stealing previous regenerations?! Obviously that intends to mean life cycles, but what if we went literal! Oh yes! Multi-Doctor Special! It's all coming together now!

Power of Three was alright. Lots of very cool little moments, but then even more unfab ridiculous Whoness than normal. The big world spanning stories always seem to suffer like that. Quick fix ends, no real peril. Tennant's world spanning episodes being some of the most chock full of silly that went past awesome into ugh, but this plot is right up there.

Not an episode I'd ever watch again, for sure.

For me, as a very long time fan of the show, some of the most exciting times are when the older, familiar elements are left behind and the show begins a new era. Clearly this happens when a Doctor regenerates or when there is a change behind the camera. But it also happens when companions leave the show. I loved the Ponds but am now very excited about Clara and her likely ties to Oswin. Can't wait for Christmas.

Not any more so than say... Robin.

Maybe the characters aren't even related at all. Freema was in a 10th Doctor episode as a different character pretty visibly; stretches of dialogue, scenes revolving around her. Then later Freema got cast as a new character to be the new companion. Karen had a tiny part as a Sybil in a 10th Doctor episode too.

Stuff like that also happens tons in Star Trek, original and next gen era.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.