Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

I believe he is The Doctor in body but after what he did, the rest of him is ashamed of him & believes that he isn't worthy of the name Doctor because whatever he did was totally against the ethos of what The Doctor stands for

So he has had 12 regenerations but only 11 Doctors, if you get what I mean

Some excellent ideas there. Maybe rather than an aged 9th Doctor, he is an aged version of the 8th that has been fighting the time war for so long.

I guess the only reason I thought of him being a future Doctor was that Clara did not recognise him as this was her first encounter and that is possible as we are talking about the Doctors grave so that makes it possible. But you are right that there is the issue of the 11th acknowledging what he has done.

The idea of a Doctor Zero is interesting! Like that thought that he either ages further to resemble Hartnell, or regenerates into him. Can't wait to find out! :-)

my only issue with him being Doctor Zero would be that the way 11 was speaking it was like that he had already chosen the name 'Doctor' and formed that promise and when it got to John Hurt's Doctor, he broke that promise so the rest of the regenerations feel that he is not worthy of being called 'Doctor', so by that logic he would have to happen after Hartnell & couldn't be The Valeyard (despite how awesome that would be) as he comes between 12 & 13 doesn't he?

I like the idea of him being the 8th Doctor, as he was the only Doctor who's face we didn't see during the episode (though we did see him walk past but not a headshot) thats why I am going with the theory of him being between McGann & Eccelston but the rest of the regen's think he is an abomination (or something like that)

November 23rd is way too far away!

The Valeyard would be awesome, but I'm sure it's too esoteric and random of a reference only hardcore fans would get... even though he WAS named in the episodes.

I LIKE the idea of him being Doctor Zero, but I agree he's more likely between 8 and 9. Now that we know that regenerations are "given" to timelords, and that their bodies can be discarded (the master did it a lot), and they can have memories purged it's probably along the lines of the 8th Doctor not being the solider he needed tobe-- too much of "The Doctor" kept him from fighting. So he regenerated into something so different-- possibly this was even forced upon him by Rassilon or something. Like it wasn't his choice, but once he was that person he was different. Maybe the Timelord council even affected the regeneration to make him somebody else. Basically, they needed the Doctor's knowledge, but not his core personality.

Once the job was done, he regenerated again and one way or another, it was deemed to not count. It wasn't him, or the memories were erased, or it simple didn't count against his regeneration count.

The question is, did the current Doctor have the memories of what this Doctor did before he entered his time stream.

Either way, I don't think the 50th episode will have crap to do with the Time War. I think that waking this version of the Doctor somehow allows him to take form as his own being which leads him to being the villain in the anniversary special.

Okay. Everybody is right, I think. Moffat always lays this stuff on top of itself so John Hurt is simultaneously the Valeyard, an after 8th and before 9th Doctor who fought in the Time War, the final Doctor who will die at Trenzilor, the original incarnation of the Gallifreyan individual who will become The Doctor, whatever is left of the Doctor's life after the Great Intelligence has destroyed him multiple times over, the old age future of the 11th Doctor, the embodied state of the Doctor's true name, and all other potentially contradictory and overlapping explanations for John Hurt's presence. He is all things --- a Doctor superposition.

It could also be the most obvious (and, thus, the LEAST OBVIOUS) thing ever and John Hurt will be playing the next Doctor either just for the next episode or for a season or two and he will die and introduce the 13th and possibly Last Doctor.

hahaha classic!

do you guys think this is a game changer as Moffat claims?

the Doctor Zero stuff would be crazy with loads of potential! I'm most excited if he is really The Valeyard!

Still disappointed we never saw The Silence in the finale after all the hoopla of season 5 & 6! Would of been nice if they were used instead of the Whisperman

Well The Silence have been...dealt with. They think that he is dead and so believe that they have nothing else to do in order to prevent....whatever it is that happens.

My question is were they trying to prevent somebody discovering The Doctor's greatest secret (ie John Hurt) or were they trying to prevent the massacre that we saw the aftermath of (the graves on Trenzalore) and the 10 billion lives lost?

Was the GI referring to what John Hurt has already done when he claims that he is evil? Will we see why some people think that Doctor means 'soldier' or 'warrior'?

I loved that last episode, this run of the series was feeling a bit lacking in something (although the three episodes before the finale were all very good).

Another thing, does Clara now have all of her memories from Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS? And therefore does she remember reading the book of the Time War and his name?

Arrrgh November 23rd will be so good (well....the 24th for me as I'm at the RL World Cup Semi finals on the 23rd)

Do the last two episodes ("Nightmare in Silver," "The Name of the Doctor") feel like a clips show from a couple old-school arcs? Of all the episodes these two, to me, felt the most rushed and truncated. I didn't have time to invest in the soldier characters and later especially the Whisper Men.

I can't quite place John Hurt's Doctor. An aged Rose-universe Doctor? Time War-era? The Valeyard? The Watcher?

• 2 weeks later...

The BBC have announced today that Matt Smith will step down at the end if this year, so it will be a Christmas regeneration episode!!

Thought he had signed up for next year! Blimey! Let the speculation on who will be the 12th Doctor begin!

Dr. Who is gaining enough momentum that it's not the typecasting dangerzone Eccelson was afraid it would be. Scifi does have a habit of doing that, ask any Star Trek star that wasn't a captain.

But Eccelson has done okay, he's the villain in the new Thor movie. Tennant doesn't seem hugely interested in Hollywood, which is too bad cause he stole Fright Night and could work it. Kate Gillian just landed the female lead in Guardians of the Galaxy and Smith is starring opposite Christina Hendricks in Ryan Gosling's first directorial outing.

My point being, the show's popularity has grown enough that Hollywood is full of fans wanting to work with those people and they money they offer compared to the BBC is crazy.

I'm bummed, I feel like Matt just hit his groove, and they just did a sort of soft-reboot with Clara, new Tardis, new direction. Seems like it's too soon for a regeneration. Oh well.

I'd love an old Doctor again, like Bill Nighy. Or maybe John Hurt is going to stick around? Doubtful that they'd have an old dude star in this day and age, they'll likely keep him young looking.

Agreed. If Matt Smith wanted a break, they could always have gone backwards and done a few series with McGann's 8th Doctor (with some Time War action or hints at it maybe).

Then later on, Matt Smith could come back for more new stories if it suited.

They won't do that though. Sadly McGann is just not being included. You had to really go "Slow-mo" to see the 8th Doctors cameo in the last episode. Shame.

Yeah I don't know why they give him the cold shoulder. They've canonized his image on the show and he's the one former Doctor who'd jump at the chance to play the part again and is physically able to. The dude is practically a cosplayer. He deserved a flashback part at least by now. Somebody at BBC must not like him.

Definitely. I think it would work - it can be topped and tailed by the 11th explaining to Clara about what she saw in the book of the Time War that she came across and then flashback to the 8th's travels.

I suppose Clara could even feature to a degree as she has been splintered throughout all his regenerations.

Somebody at BBC must not like him.

I suspect it may be something more with FOX. Lingering bitterness over that unsuccessful partnership?

I've only read headlines yet and no article particulars, but is Moffatt sticking around? I would've liked to see Smith's Doctor a little longer, especially working with different show-runners. We've had some good runs with Adams and Nation, that I'm sure, given the time to at least work out some of the arcs, that Gaiman would be just fine.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.