Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

Actually, I really don’t blame Smith as much as Moffat. I am, VERY skeptical of Smith’s acting abilities as most of his portrayal of 11 has been nothing but one dimensional. And yes, that is comparing him with the previous 10. But I do blame the format (45 minutes of fast talking and minimal character development), a doctor that’s written as one who has completely forgot his own memories (constantly questioning on how things are done on Earth), and one who just basically runs around and uses his tricorder (oh wait, I mean Sonic Screwdriver) to solve every problem.

Smith has always claimed that Troughton is his inspiration for his manic portrayal. But what’s forgotten (either Smith, Moffat, the directors, and who else knows) is that ALL the previous Doctors either played the fool at the expense of the adversary or got deadly serious when the reveal was needed. Smith’s portrayal is that only of the town idiot.

Why do I question his acting ability? One scene sums it all up. In “The Crimson Horror” when the Doc is finally unfrozen he leaps out of the chamber and he is his normal manic smiling hands flailing all about idiot. ANY other Doctor would have continued to be serious for the concern of the situation at hand and the whereabouts of his companion. This was a scene that should have allowed Smith to act out some real chops. Instead, it was business as usual for the fool. It’s been this way for his entire run and it’s the reason I have not bought a single DVD of the Doc 11 era when I bought all the other DVD releases of the new series up until Smith’s.

^THIS! Spitting on the Tardis seconds after the regeneration and then the food scene in "The Eleventh Hour" made me nauseous. So again, not sure if it's Moffat, directors, (lack of acting) ability on Smith's part, or any combination. All who have been here for some time know I am know fan of this particular incarnation.

• 1 month later...

They were filming this at the same time as the 50th Anniversary Special. I am REALLY hoping that they utilized Bradley and just haven’t told us. Plus, Bradley really needs to redeem himself after killing all those Starks at the wedding :D

• 3 weeks later...

^Time Wonkiness/Crossovers are always fun.

With that said, it's not the first time an actor reappears as another character in Who. Martha, Amy and even the 6th Doctor all appeared in the series before being cast in their famous roles.

As for Capaldi being cast I feel the special reveal might not have been a good idea, it feels anti-climatic. I dig his look he brings however. He looks like David Copperfield and as we all know The Doctor is a bit of a magician anyway.

He's a great actor, very pleased with him being picked. Playing Malcolm Tucker in "The Thick of It" was a fantastic performance.

He sounds like a real fan of the series, even having written a letter to a national paper at the age of 15!

Talking of age, was surprised to hear that only Hartnell was older when taking on the role (only slightly - both 55). Complete change from Matt Smith's youngest!

Really looking forward to seeing his Doctor!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.