Official Doctor Who New Series Discussion (spoilers)

The Shadow

That was a fantastc episode but it's funny how so many people are keying in to how quickly things are played out and resolved. There are plenty of scenes here that would play out over weeks of many older-era Doctor Who arcs.

Which is exactly why I can’t stand this latest incarnation. I embrace Doctor Who and all the changes (OK, I hated the Doc 8 movie, but everyone did). I have rows of Old School DVDs from Docs 1-7 and have all the series DVDs of 10 and 11. But this new Doc 11 team turns the kinetic style of RTD into an ADD Heaven. The nutty scientist that zaps everything in sight with his Sonic Screwdriver is NOT Doctor Who.

I could go on and on. But at this point I really don’t care that much. I stop by here every once in a while just to see what others are saying about the show and stay up to date just in case something REALLY interesting happens. Wake me when Susan actually does show up a regenerated Time Lady and stop hinting at Earth Shattering revelation. There hasn’t been one yet.

HAHA! I laugh, but yeah the simplest explanation is usually the truth.

Of course the out of story explanation could be as simple as when Harrison Ford voiced, uncredited, a trooper in Star Wars.

Hmm, now that I think about it was ^that ever confirmed? My brain is muddled this morning. Pretty sure it was in Return of the Jedi. Anyway...

I dunno what others say, I talk geek here just about exclusively... Facebook and Twitter get the occasional fling. Anyway... My theory is simple;

River's initial reaction to finding herself inside the Library AI was annoyance. I believe in "A Good Man Goes To War" there is a moment where River almost quotes herself from that awakening moment in the Library AI. River says something about The Doctor always meddling and not being able to leave things alone so he's made enemies just because of that. Well that is her reaction inside the Library AI, if only briefly. As such I believe it's an easy leap to show that as time passes and her conscious meanders about in there she becomes Khan. We all know that archetype. Hero gives Person A another chance, Person A lives on but then thru life's twists becomes bitter at the Hero. Besides this is River, she's emotionally unstable at best, been thru so much, programmed at points to hate the Doctor. On top of that there's the old saying "a woman scorned". It all flows. As for her abducting herself as a baby, it could be she doesn't even realize that. Who knows what's happened to the stability of her mind and recall of memory in there. One last little "gift" to the theory, River's introductory episode is called... The Silence in the Library. Isn't that sweet?! Such a nice, most likely unintentional gift right there. That can be played with. After all our beloved characters wouldn't remember seeing them if they were there. We could write an entire event around this. Bring back Tennant to interact with Smith. It all works. And not humbly at all, I must say I think it's genius.

My problem with it is that it completely destroys any character built up over the past few seasons and says: 'She got mad' as a reason for pretty much everything over the past few years

She wasn't afraid of dying and sacrifced herself for The Doctor. She isn't about to go 'Grrrr, I don't like this let's found the society that kidnaps me and starts up this entire series of events in the first place...'

Umm no. It doesn't destroy her character dev. It can be as simple as an issue with the library matrix corrupting and then her consciousness lashing out due to this corruption. And as I displayed she was not happy initially to find herself inside that computer. Also being in there can be kin to being in cryo btw. It can be a way to bring her back fully and or finally let her go... for good. Tie in the Silence as the reason it's corrupted and you have The Two Doctors fighting to save River and end the Silence's hunt for him. Plus River's diary is there. The Library has so much potential for a revisit.

Hating your proposal? No. I may disagree with it happening, but my comment was a generalizan. Too often a character is brought back a few too many times and his or her "specialness" becomes diminishing returns. (The extreme opposite is Ellison's Vic and Blood.)

I rewatched her two-part introduction and... ****! "Silence in the Library." I'm helping you write it.

• 1 month later...

Looking forward to the Christmas Special.

Not looking forward to Hollywood rebooting Doctor Who on the silver screen. Bleh. Thankfully the BBC and Moffat have sweepingly disregarded the immediacy of the film reports. Moffat's tweet was spectacular: "Announcing my personal moonshot, starting from scratch. No money, no plan, no help from NASA. But I know where the moon is - I've seen it."

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.