new PC

Yeah, that PC probably is more than you need, but you can certainly game on it if you needed to.  It would be super fast for just day to day stuff, with the M.2 drive, and I5 Processor, alone.    If all you are doing is grading papers, word processing, and web browsing, you could go with something  less expensive like this one and still be decently future proof:

https://www.ibuypower.com/store/rdy-element-mr-001

*ASROCK motherboards are made by ASUS, which is a good brand.  

12 hours ago, Gamevet said:

You shouldn't be buying a PC with a 4 core processor in this day and age. No less that 6 cores with Multi-threading.

Walmart carries this Ryzen 5 5500 rig for $800.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/CyberPowerPC-Gamer-Master-Gaming-Desktop-AMD-Ryzen-5-5500-16GB-AMD-Radeon-RX-6700-10GB-1TB-SSD-Black-GMA6800WST/1593349367?athbdg=L1103&from=/search

Not a bad set up for $800.00.  The only negative I see is it has DDR4 instead of DDR5 RAM, but most people won't see the difference, and maxing out at 128GB RAM is cool.  Looks like the video card is way better than the one I posted.  

9 hours ago, Darth Krawlie said:

What do you guys think of refurbished PCs?

one

two

three

Of those three, the third option with the GTX 1050ti is probably the best option.  

But even then, some modern titles that system won't be able to play as it won't meet minimum system requirements. Most modern games require a 1060 or 1070 as the minimum. That said, there is a guy in YouTube called lowspec gamer who has videos on how to make modern games run on potato rigs. Which is basically what those 3 systems are unfortunately... But they are cheap!

For those prices your better off with a PS5 or XBOX 

I just treated myself to some new RAM and a CPU.

Upgrading from a R7 3800x to a 5700X3D and getting 32 GB of 3600MHZ ddr4 ram. 

Will be my final upgrade before AM6 systems launch in however many years 

If there is no urgency I would consider slowly over a period of months buying bits and bobs to build your own rig. 

There are loads of guides to assemble a build online and it's not as hard as it would seem. (Ryzen CPUs slot into motherboards with ease and no sickening crunch like Intel CPU's do.

If you stay with the AM4 generation it will be considerably cheaper than diving into AM5. Ryzen have released some new CPUs with a 3D cache (like the one I've just bought) which offer massive performance benefits for relatively lower cost and will last until AM6 generation starts. You could get a 5600X3D (I think they're only available at best buy or some other US retailer) for 200 bucks and those cpus kick ass for gaming, especially for the price. 

OR you could go into AM5 which is the new generation, DDR5 ram and the like, and it is roughly double the price for parts (for RAM at least) but is considerably more powerful tech. You could go for lower spec AM5 parts and then make smaller upgrades in the future if you wanted to increase performance. This is probably what most people online would suggest. 

Either go low end AM5 or higher end AM4 3d cache CPU.

Then other bits you can pick up off eBay as and when they come available. And less of a financial sting if you do it slowly over a period of time than all at once on something convenient but jacked in price 

Just remember to buy the correct parts for your generation (AM4 or AM5), and make sure the dimensions of your parts will fit your mobo and your case. Make sure your PSU will have enough wattage and overhead to run your CPU and GPU and ram comfortably. But don't go overboard. If your only gaming you don't NEED 32 GB ram, 16 is enough, but it won't always be this way so maybe 32 is better for future proofing.

I'd sell you my old CPU, RAM and cooler for the cheap, but since Brexit sending all that to the US would be as expensive as buying some better kit anyway!! 

45 minutes ago, Odine said:

Of those three, the third option with the GTX 1050ti is probably the best option.  

But even then, some modern titles that system won't be able to play as it won't meet minimum system requirements. Most modern games require a 1060 or 1070 as the minimum. That said, there is a guy in YouTube called lowspec gamer who has videos on how to make modern games run on potato rigs. Which is basically what those 3 systems are unfortunately... But they are cheap!

No! The 1050Ti is much weaker than the 1660Ti. 

1 minute ago, Gamevet said:

The 5600X3D was only available at MicroCenter. It was a pretty small run and is likely, no longer available.

Oh okay that's what it was. So maybe 5700x3d. It's a kick ass CPU, I've just ordered myself 

7 minutes ago, Gamevet said:

No! The 1050Ti is much weaker than the 1660Ti. 

I thought it was regular 1660? Not Ti, my bad. I didn't Vet my GPU stats.

But either way, those machines are all 2 generations ago. And if it's just for gaming, for the money, I'd say a new console is preferable.

21 hours ago, Darth Krawlie said:

What do you guys think of refurbished PCs?

one

two

three

Personally, I shy away from referbs.  I'm not to keen on HP and for the Optiplex, Dell generally has weak power supplies, making upgrading your video card a challenge.  I would say just save your money up and get a rig you really want instead of compromising.  

19 hours ago, Odine said:

I'm not at all object to this (my wife would prefer a Switch, but I know it's old and there's bound to be a new Nintendo device sooner or later), but don't you have to pay a monthly fee for online games? 

39 minutes ago, Darth Krawlie said:

I'm not at all object to this (my wife would prefer a Switch, but I know it's old and there's bound to be a new Nintendo device sooner or later), but don't you have to pay a monthly fee for online games? 

Yeah, you do. I try to explain to people that the consoles are great, but you pay much higher prices for games and services on the console. They're selling the razor at a loss and making it back through sales of peripherals, games and services.

I've been using Game Pass on PC for over 2 years. It started out at $5 a month for over a year and eventually went up to $10. I got a Series-X a little over a week ago. I could download and install games that I'd purchased on the 360 and PC, but I could not play any of the Game Pass games I could play on my PC, until I gave MS an additional $7 a month. And it's pretty rare (outside of MMOs) that there's any kind of fee to play a game online, with PC. 

4 hours ago, Darth Krawlie said:

You could look at getting a Steam Deck.

They have an OLED edition which is meant to be amazing.

It's basically a handheld like switch but it runs PC games and it's about £300-£400 for regular Steam Deck and about £500-£600 for the OLED. 

So you won't need to subscribe to anything and can play anywhere you want. Bed gaming sounds nice, but you can connect it to the TV with USB-C to HDMI cable. Just want a long enough cable to sit comfortably.

My mate has one and he loves it. 

https://uk.pcmag.com/migrated-84555-gaming/149731/valve-steam-deck-oled

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.