Baldurs Gate III

Odine

No hyperbole. 20 hours in, quite possibly the best game I've ever played. Ever. 

It's better than Skyrim. Better than GTAV. Better than Mass Effect. But it brings the best elements of all those games with the chess like tactical combat of XCOM. It fucking rules. It's got the cinematic story telling of mass effect, the lore and replay ability of Skyrim, and the writing chops and humour of GTA or RDR2. It's got the world building of Witcher 3 and cyberpunk. 

It's so good when I'm not playing it I almost think my real life is a waste of time when I could be playing BG3. 

It's like an old bioware RPG like Kotor or Dragon Age but on modern AAA budget, twenty times the size, where EVERY character (and there are thousands of them) including goblins, bears and dogs have their own unique voiced cinematic dialogue cut scenes, no matter how small the interaction. It's actually incredible. 

Believe the hype. Every glowing review you've read is true.

Masterpiece. I hope you are all playing it, and if you're not you should. It's a landmark in gaming history. 

Five stars. 

I mean, you can smash for sure, and the companions are all up for it, but it's not like the game starts and your boning. There are a bunch of reviews with people saying "I'm no prude....BUT" which to me is confirmation that the reviewer is in fact a prude. The sex is no more front and center than Game of Thrones, and so far in my 25 hours or so it's far less explicit than GoT. Even though you can choose what your penis or vulva looks like. To bush or not to bush.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Rogue 3 said:

It was released on PS5 yesterday, but they are only doing download only sadly. If people got the deluxe version, they could start playing from last Saturday.

Even if you had a disk youd still need to download a massive chunk of the content. It's 120GB minimum storage 

On 9/7/2023 at 12:40 PM, Odine said:

Even if you had a disk youd still need to download a massive chunk of the content. It's 120GB minimum storage 

Yeah, I’ve read a bit more online and it does seem that the game is too big for disk. 
More I read, more I think it’s right up my street!  I’m slowly swaying towards ordering it… 

Addicted… such a good game! Judging by the prompts about leaving certain areas, think I am probs not too far from moving to act 2. Big piece left is the goblin area to uncover, but all surrounding goals pretty much cleaned up! 
Looks amazing, sounds amazing, great characters that you want in your party - you tend to bench some for the whole game in some RPG’s but not this one! 
Massive replay value for sure!

Yeah there is about 5-10 more hours of Act 1 game time once you find the goblin camp. Depending on how you tackle things. 

Also, the ogre guarding the door to the interior of the main camp has some of my favourite dialogue. Reminds me of a toddler 

• 3 weeks later...

Act 3 is not quite as polished as the previous 2, but larian have been steadily releasing patches to bugfix things and add missing content. 

I did Dark Urge first playthrough so my 3rd act was quite different to most. Need to have some time away before I re start a good guy playthrough 

• 5 weeks later...

Mini update - good way through act 3 (probs loads left, but I have been here for a while at least!), really loving this game, best I have played on PS5 for certain and definitely one of my all time favourites - so vast and variable! Amazing!

Just taken out the hag Ethel for the second time and searching out for my missing companion that Orin has nabbed. But so many side quest distractions, main plot could probs be done much quicker if I wanted, but it’s just so enjoyable exploring!

Playing though on the middle difficulty and currently level 11, but going for “Jack of all trades” achievement, so have multi-classed each level up - next play through it will be good to focus!

Not seen any real bugs in act 3, so think the patches have done the job. Just had 1 boot out when I was levelling up one time.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a teacher that was a beta tester for this for like 3 years and she can't stop talking about it. 

I love KOTOR, ME, and RDR2, but I have heard this game compared to Divinity Original Sin--which I bought and hate.  I hate turn based combat and puzzles and shit where you have to talk to the guy to get the thing in the locker with a hidden key to continue the story.

That's a shame cause this is hands down maybe the best game I've played. I can't think of any that's been a better experience. It got me to stop playing Skyrim and that's saying something 

It's like what I imagined the future of isometric RPGs could be back when I was a kid in the 90s only BG3 surpasses my imaginations of future gaming by a long shot. But it recaptures the wonderment felt when you dived into an epic RPG of yesteryear. It has nostelgia but it feels cutting edge the whole time. (Aside from a few inventory management annoyances) 

There are a few puzzles but nothing super duper hard. If you get stuck you can always just find a guide online. Combat is super fun even though it's turn based. You just have to switch you brain into a tactical kind of way of thinking. Enjoy the limitless ways to approach the combat. I would say definitely play it if you can afford it, if only to not miss out on a landmark title. And everything else about it is absolutely cinematic. 

I played divinity original sin  and DOS2 and while I thought the second was very well made, it didn't land with me and I quit half way. I had no such issues with BG3. This game is not as punishing. Fights can be challenging but they're never really annoying. The environmental hazards are there but toned down. In essence it's DOS2 gameplay but tweaked with the DnD5 ruleset (which is the most casual friendly and ruleset yet) and it has a broad appeal. There is a reason it's doing so well. It's nowhere near as frustrating as Elden Ring for example. 

It's just so engaging. I'm gonna go play some now...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.