Episode 9 News

Dark Wader

Star Wars just has so many fans and expectations its nearly impossible to make everyone happy. Even when people like the movies it's not good enough. Lucas in this thread said both movies are good and fun but he isn't a fan. What the hell else do you want? That's literally all I expect from a movie.

TFA had the feels and the star wars magic. It made me feel like a kid again.

TLJ had its moments, like Rey grabbing the sabre with the force in the throne room, but there was plenty I didn't enjoy not least the tone of the film. Poorly executed smart mouth humor. And neither film really work well with the other.

Of the two I enjoy TFA the most because it has the feels, the scope and the scale right.

Its not too much of an ask to expect the story to coalesce. Yet any criticism or opinion I care to share, Choc, you're basically "nah thats dumb. Im right and you should think like me."

They very easily could have started the ST with the New Republic in power and told the story of how the new bad guys took control. In fact before any of this happened thats what I would have envisioned.

That's basically the PT.

Which is why I kind of second guessed myself when I was thinking about it too, but I think it could've been done differently enough

TLJ had its moments, like Rey grabbing the sabre with the force in the throne room, but there was plenty I didn't enjoy not least the tone of the film. Poorly executed smart mouth humor. And neither film really work well with the other.

Of the two I enjoy TFA the most because it has the feels, the scope and the scale right.

Its not too much of an ask to expect the story to coalesce. Yet any criticism or opinion I care to share, Choc, you're basically "nah thats dumb. Im right and you should think like me."

No, thats not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is you are entitled to whatever opinion you have. It sucks you don't like TLJ. I do think some of your criticisms are unfounded or unfair, not all of them though.

No, thats not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is you are entitled to whatever opinion you have. It sucks you don't like TLJ. I do think some of your criticisms are unfounded or unfair, not all of them though.

If different people keep telling you that you come across as saying something that isn’t your intent, maybe some reflection is called for?

If different people keep telling you that you come across as saying something that isn’t your intent, maybe some reflection is called for?

People are reading something into what Im saying that is not there. I don't feel the need to say "you are entitled to your opinion but..." every single time. Ofcourse everyone is entitled to their opinion so their is no reason for me to say it.

Maybe it's cause you relentlessly disagree and argue everyone's opinion down by propping up your own stance? I don't have an issue with you, but sometimes you are kinda impenetrable and don't seem willing to have an A B A B A B conversation.

People are reading something into what Im saying that is not there. I don't feel the need to say "you are entitled to your opinion but..." every single time. Ofcourse everyone is entitled to their opinion so their is no reason for me to say it.

You are entitled to your opinion, but if a bunch of people are "reading something into what you're saying that is not there", maybe you should consider WHY that's happening, and if there's anything you can do to fix it. Instead of, you know, blaming everyone else?

Maybe it's cause you relentlessly disagree and argue everyone's opinion down by propping up your own stance? I don't have an issue with you, but sometimes you are kinda impenetrable and don't seem willing to have an A B A B A B conversation.

They very easily could have started the ST with the New Republic in power and told the story of how the new bad guys took control. In fact before any of this happened thats what I would have envisioned.

That's basically the PT.

Which is why I kind of second guessed myself when I was thinking about it too, but I think it could've been done differently enough

To be fair, TFA DID start out with the New Republic in power and the First Order taking territory. It only lasted half the movie, until the First Order blew up the capital of the New Republic and ship yards. It didn't make the most sense to me for the New Republic to ignore the First Order, and leave it to only Leia and her Resistance to do something about the First Order, which was basically the Empire reorganized. I think it should have been more like how the EU novels handled the Imperial Remnant: the New Republic having an active hand in trying to stop them, but there were those in the New Republic that disagreed and just wanted to stop the fighting and make peace, and appease the First Order. Said appeasers taking power after the Hosnian system is destroyed and capitulating to the First Order would have made more sense than how RJ wrote the New Republic's surrender (or more accurately his lack of explanation thereof).

They mostly disregard the whole scenerio but I do think there is some real historical pespective for this. You have a war weary galaxy that just doesn't want to deal with another war, so they turn a blind eye to a threat until it is far to late. It's like Europe with the rise of fascism. They were so war weary from WWI that they essentially were trying to avoid conflict at all costs and it lead to catastrophe. I think it's a simiar situation here.

Personally I wouldn't have minded a bit more explanation here but I don't think it's 100% needed. This stuff should 95% be left to the opening crawls and to some very quick background stuff. Like how the Emperor disbanded the Senate in Star Wars, just a quick word. TLJ does address it quickly when Rey tells Luke that the First Order will control all major systems soon, which obviously means its not a done a deal yet but only a matter of time.

Going into TLJ I was somewhat spoiled but far from totally spoiled and I thought we may get a bit more on the whole political situation of the Galaxy revolving around Holdo. What I believed going in was that the Resistance escape wasnt going well, Holdo shows up with whats left of the Republic fleet to save them. Once the Resistance is on board we would get a quick rundown from Holdo on the situation, like maybe a map of the galaxy showing 1/3 of it colored in green for the Republic, 1/3 in red for the First Order, 1/3 in yellow for areas that are still being fought over. Then later find out that Holdo is turning the Resistance over to the First Order as part of a peace agreement that lets the First Order keep what they currently control and gives them the areas being fought over while leaving the areas currently under Republic control alone. Basically the systems that were currently free give up the rest of the Galaxy for their own safety. Holdo turns them over, has a chance of heart and against orders saves the Resistance dying in the process.

Based on the limited spoilers I had read that's kinda what I envisioned her role to be. Which would have worked I think and maybe assuaged some of the issues people have with this kinda stuff.

Lastly I don't mean to bash anyones opinion or say what anyone wants to see is wrong. All Im saynig is this 1-I like all the movies and 2-despite what issues you may have this is why it really doesn't bother me much and I like the movies anyway.

It's all good. I was just saying that for me, I would have liked to see that handled a little differently. I get the WW1 war weariness and appeasement comparison, and in fact I had that in mind, too. But where I was coming from was that in the PT, we got some of that already. So I was approaching it from a Post WW2-like outlook where its known appeasement usually just emboldens dictators.

But I do agree a lot of that could have been handled in the opening crawl. After all, that is how they established what the Resistance was in TFA, in the first place. And no, it's not really needed, either. Just one of those "nice to haves."

One of my personal opinions though is that if you put alot of those "nice to haves" in there it would just bog down the movie, probably more than we realize. I remember after TFA an interview where JJ said he often wanted to take a moment to explain things and it was Kasdan to tell him not to in the name of keeping the movie going.

The opening crawl does mention that The First Order is trying to seize military control of the galaxy. Rey later confirms that the First Order is on the verge of controlling all the major systems. I think putting the term "military" is done with purpose. The First Order is attempting to flat out conquer the galaxy, rather than take control in the manner that the Empire did of exploiting existing institutions.

The opening crawl does mention that The First Order is trying to seize military control of the galaxy. Rey later confirms that the First Order is on the verge of controlling all the major systems. I think putting the term "military" is done with purpose. The First Order is attempting to flat out conquer the galaxy, rather than take control in the manner that the Empire did of exploiting existing institutions.

True, but that's not what I mean. I am talking about the New Republic being actively involved in stopping the First order, rather than the Resistance going it alone. It didn't make sense to me that the Resistance is run by Leia, and the New Republic is only passively supporting it.

I think it's simply a function of wanting the good guys to be at a severe disadvantage. Although the idea of a true all out war between 2 even parties is interesting, and could have been shown more in the PT during the Clone Wars but was mostly skipped over. Maybe the Benioff and Weiss series will be more like that.

I'll ride the middle again. I do think the ST could have made things more clear in a lot of ways with just a few lines here and there. But at the same time, the EU novels got way to esoteric and exacting for my likes and killed the mythic feels.

I'll ride the middle again. I do think the ST could have made things more clear in a lot of ways with just a few lines here and there. But at the same time, the EU novels got way to esoteric and exacting for my likes and killed the mythic feels.

That's my point. In my perfect world the movies would have at least some more of that stuff. I just can't and won't dwell on it and I enjoy what we got immensely and I understand their thinking behind going in that direction.

The new books get into the Republic ending their military, and are considered canon. It's information that isn't necessary, but is considered true. And it makes sense, because they wanted to be the same as the Old Republic, and the Rebellion really was less a military and more a militia/terrorist organization. Not exactly the setup for a legit government.

The books are going to end up having a lot of the "nice to know" stuff in them, as they make up the backstory and decide what's definitely not going to be on screen (movie or TV).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.