Episode 9 News

Dark Wader

A few reasons I feel something like that is not needed.

1-in ESB Luke doesn't 100% believe Vader. When Vader first tells him he yells "no, thats impossible." Now later he does call him father, but its obvious that Luke isn't sure what to think. It makes sense he would seek the truth. In TLJ Rey completely accepts the truth, in fact she comes to the conclusion herself. What happens with her is like if Vader had said "Obi Wan never told you what happened to your father..." and Luke replied "you are my father." Rey knows the truth, says it herself. She has zero need to seek any kind of confirmation.

2-Why would Luke even know who Reys parents are? In the OT Yoda knew Anakin and was part of the plan to hide Luke. He flat out knows the truth. How would Luke know aout Reys parents. He doesn't seem to know in TLJ and I don't think dying makes someone all knowing.

3-In the OT we are presented with a different backstory. In ANH Ben tells Luke a totally different story about who his father is, then Vader tells him something different. There are 2 stories out there, we need to know which is true. In the ST there is no alternate backstory. Rey is never presented as anything other than someone with non important parents. There is no reason for anyone to think different.

You want the confirmation for you, not for the characters. It's bad writing to give info to the audience just to give it to them when it's not pertinent to the characters. It's like whoever said that she should be a Kenobi. I'd ask why. What affect would that have on Rey if Luke dropped that on her. "Rey, your grampa was Obi Wan Kenobi." "Who?". It would have no affect on her and not affect her character at all.

I think we can be fairly sure that Rey knows the truth when you consider that 1-she says it herself before Kylo says it and 2-her accepting it and moving on from it is a maor point of the movie.

As for Luke knowing, does becoming a ghost make a Jedi all knowing? I wouldn't think so.

I don't understand why he would? Have we see any evidence in previous movies that becoming a ghost makes a Jedi gain knowledge or become all knowing? I think the burden would be on you to illustrate in some way that a ghost gains knowledge that the mortal individual doesn't have. Maybe I'm missing something but I see no reason to think that Luke would somehow as a ghost know information he didn't know as a living person.

And listen Im not saying that if there is a quick scene where Luke elaborates on her parentage that I'd be furious and dislike it. I'm just saying that based on what we have through 2 movies it's not something that must be there. What we have now can stand on it's own as far as her parentage.

I have to say, I generally agree with Choc here. But I also struggle a bit with Rey suddenly knowing who her parents are. How? A repressed childhood memory I guess. You don't need Force vision for that. Psychotherapy should be able to work just fine, right?

But if we're talking about things the story suggests look at the moment before Rey and Kylo go into Snoke's throne room.

Rey: You'll turn. I'll help you. I saw it.

Kylo: I saw something too. Because of what I saw, when the moment comes I know you will be the one to turn. You'll stand with me. Rey, I saw who your parents are.

I don't want Rey's parents to be anyone - I'm not looking to validate any pet theories, but why is that there? Just to tease the audience before the big reveal?

So because they were nobodies, she will turn? I don't see the logic.

Or you can say Kylo is messing with her here. Pushing a button he knows he can push with her. I guess.

Despite the description, her parents aren’t just nobodies, but they’re villains. And she has that in her blood. Not as bad as Anakin, but they still sold their daughter.

Yeah I suppose you're right - that's what he means.

Here's my prediction for Episode 9: there is no perfect way for JJ to surprise and delight fans with an astounding ending to this trilogy that will answer enough questions and still leave enough of the wonder.

I don't think Kylo is referring to her parents being jerks as to why he thinks she will turn. It's because he believes that hearing her parents abandoned and sold her will make her angry. Kinda like "what the hell! how could they do this to me! I hate my parents! Why would this happen to ME? This isn't fair! I hate everything". He thinks it will make her angry that anger will swell inside her and it will cause her to turn to the darkside.

The key theme of TLJ is "forget the past." Or in Kylo's case, burn it down. Or in Rian Johnson's case, "get over your shit fanboy."

Kylo's pitch to Rey is that they both have allowed themselves to be defined by what they're parents put on the, and they have to let that go.

The key theme of TLJ is "forget the past." Or in Kylo's case, burn it down. Or in Rian Johnson's case, "get over your **** fanboy."

Kylo's pitch to Rey is that they both have allowed themselves to be defined by what they're parents put on the, and they have to let that go.

I don't know if I agree that that is the key theme, afterall it is the villain who espouses that line of thinking. I think it's somewhat that but not to forget it, just don't be held back or beholden to it.

The key theme of TLJ is "forget the past." Or in Kylo's case, burn it down. Or in Rian Johnson's case, "get over your **** fanboy."

I don't know if I agree that that is the key theme, afterall it is the villain who espouses that line of thinking. I think it's somewhat that but not to forget it, just don't be held back or beholden to it.

Eh, pretty it's on point. Kylo speaks it, but literally every main chacter's arc is about their past defining their actions and breaking free.

Did you read the entire article?

“For me, I always think that if you’re cutting off the past, you’re fooling yourself and you’re just burying it somewhere where it’s always going to come back. And the only way forward is where Rey actually lands, which is to build on the past.

“Not necessarily to wallow in it, the way that Luke is doing… with Yoda’s lesson to him, with the Jedi books. Not to just wallow in its destruction… But to take what’s best from in it and build on it, and appreciate it, and move forward, which is what Rey’s path in the movie to some extent.”

Yes.

All the main characters are defined by their past, and they have to reconcile it in some way. Like I said. Burn it down. Move o n from it. Reconcile it. Accept it. Wallow in-- all variations of the same theme.

Yes.

All the main characters are defined by their past, and they have to reconcile it in some way. Like I said. Burn it down. Move o n from it. Reconcile it. Accept it. Wallow in-- all variations of the same theme.

The theme is people dealing with the past, but the lesson is not to burn the past down.

Except for the part where they literally burn the past.

I think that we can all agree that the movie acknowledges that things happened prior to the movie and those things may or may not have been good and may or may not require future action.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.