NBA 2013 - 2014 Season

Ms. Spam

4) As a result of taking on these salaries, Utah must renounce the rights to Paul Milsap.

Well, that's assuming something else doesn't happen in the next 5 days. They were in "serious talks" with him earlier in the week and this trade won't be official until the 10th, so Millsap could still possibly stay with the Jazz.

In order to make the deal with Golden State, they had to renounce the rights to Millsap.

WHEN the trade becomes official, that would be correct. As of now, it's not official. In fact, none of these deals are. Per the CBA, trades done between July 1st-9th of this season can't officially be made, so the 10th is the soonest that the Utah-Golden State could happen. So, that means that, as NBC.com pointed out...

Utah’s best – and perhaps only – feasible plan for re-signing Millsap is to reach a deal before July 10, when presumably, the Warriors will want this trade executed. By waiving Jerel McNeal, whose contract is fully unguaranteed, the Jazz could offer Millsap five years for up to $ 41,200,843 and still have enough cap room to absorb Jefferson, Biedrins and Rush. Then Utah could simply execute its signing of Millsap before the trade.

If that's how you want to look at it, sure. They can re-sign him if they can get him under the cap, but they can't use the Bird Exception to do it.

Yeah congrats to the winners of the Dwightmare Sweepstakes, LA, GS, and Dallas.

Now the interesting thing will be is if LA does a S&T with Houston- or if they just take the cap space and run to 2014. If they can somehow get Nash to Houston they'll be in play for a serious run for Lebron when the time comes (which is pretty much known that's what they want to do).

Sure they can, if they do it before the trade happens. That's the point. OK, let me find someone else to explain what I mean...

HoopsRumors

According to TNT's David Aldridge (via Twitter), the Jazz will need to renounce their Bird rights to Paul Millsap in order to clear the necessary cap room to absorb all the incoming salary. That means that the Jazz could no longer offer Millsap more than the $2.65MM room exception to re-sign in Utah.

They have time (5 days) before the trade is made, though. Which means they have time to get a deal done with Millsap first, as the above NBC.com quote was getting at: " By waiving Jerel McNeal, whose contract is fully unguaranteed, the Jazz could offer Millsap five years for up to $ 41,200,843 and still have enough cap room to absorb Jefferson, Biedrins and Rush."

I hope the Lakers don't take any contracts back in a sign&trade. Because right now they've got $9M on the books for the 2014-2015 season (Nash) and $0.00 every year after. Lebron is going to be a free agent at some point. Let that speculation begin!

I doubt that'll happen, though (the no players part). Over the last couple of days, the names of Lin and Asik have come up quite a bit as being part of any package they put together. Still, they'd have plenty of space and a couple of complimentary pieces in place.

It's really up to the Lakers and how they want to manage their money. If they want to take on deals for this year then they can try to get something for Dwight in the S&T scenario- or they can smile gleefully when they consider how little money they have on the books going forward.

The Rockets are going to be trying to dump Asik at some point though, I guess he's made it clear he doesn't want to back up Howard or play along side him.

That's the other thing, too. Josh Smith could end up in Houston (please,please,please) in a S&T with Atlanta for Asik.

If money is no issue for the Rockets they are really better off (even if the Lakers decided they wanted a S&T) just trading Asik separately. They've got money to sign Howard outright, why give up Asik "for nothing."

Woj from Yahoo! reporting that the Pelicans are aggressively pursuing an Asik trade with Ryan Anderson involved. Whoever Houston ends up with it will be interesting. They're going to be a very good team.

Oh and the Pacers reached an agreement with Chris Copeland. 2 years, 6.1M. Love it! He and Watson are going to be major upgrades to the bench.

Apparently he has backed off and is 50/50 between HOU and LAL again.

I just want it to be over. Pick a place, you ****ing drama queen. If he does sign in Houston, they will try to move Asik for Smith. If not, they were planning last week to sign Smith instead of the sign-and-trade.

And no, I'm not going to instantly forgive him if he signs locally. This is ridiculous.

I really don't blame him in this instance. I think he's a whiny, petulant, child. But by all accounts, he hasn't actually changed his mind. He didn't tell Houston or LA anything. "Sources close to Dwight" did. Now you can debate whether that was calculated or not, but he didn't announce anything or tell the teams involved (other than telling Dallas, GS, and Atlanta that they were out of it). The only flip-flopping has been done by the media reporting one way or another. This is a gigantic decision with a lot at stake, that warrants a lot of though. And frankly, if it weren't for twitter and the present-day internet we would be none the wiser.

I hate Dwight Howard, but I think he'll catch more flak on this than he deserves.

The contradiction abound. Most of Houston loved him for picking the Rockets a few hours ago, now we'll be "better off anyway." Or as the grammatically challenged say, anyways. And all these smartass Lakers fans who were saying "yes thank you, we're going to be better off without him" just a few hours ago will be listing off the ways this will make the Lakers a better team any minute now.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.