Nightly Basketball Federation - Season VIII

groove terminator

Garrison, you're being a bit of a bitch. What exactly am I supposedly whining about? You're the one complaining that "no one cares". For the record, I was without internet for much of the week, so I think you'll see that I wasn't posting anywhere else much, either. Not that I have ever talked much in-game trash, anyway. Six of the owners were already out of the playoffs, so they had no reason to post. It's normal for Texascat to only be around sporadically. So, maybe you should wait more than five or six days before passing judgment. Or better yet, not presume at all to tell other people what they care about. You have no idea.

Now now fellas. I check nightly 2 or 3 times a day. I didnt want to post anything on the basketball thread. Hell I was losing after 3 of the 5 days. The matchup was very close for several days. Over the weekend, my team found its jump shot and started playing like 8 foot tall guys and blocked a few shots too. Those 2 categories ( FG percentage and blocked shots) were close until the final days.

Congrats on the fine season. But now I have a bigger fish to fry.......Lucas or is it Nemo??? Its all the same to me.

Good Luck! and may the luckiest owner win!

Texascat has a whopping +6 games played advantage this week! That's huge! That would be incredibly difficult to overcome against a 'bad' team, much less the #1 overall seed. Only way I'm going to be able to overcome that is if some of his DTDs (which make his team look like a MASH unit right now) turn into "Outs." Man, I almost wish I hadn't checked lol.

Edit: Interesting note about that- in the NBF playoffs, teams are 10-1 all time when they hold an advantage in games played. The only loss came by the Nightmares when they were upended by the Rollers.

OK It was a good first night to the week. 7-0-2 I will gladly take it, but knowing that a 5-4 or 4-5 after tonight can easily happen. Im bummed Dwayne Wade is DTD (doubtful) tonight. I think everyone on my team is DTD right now. I have never seen soo much red writing next to my players names. YUKKK

I didn't rebound as well as I would have liked last night, and thats really the only category that concerned me after one day. This is a long match-up so there's a lot of time for the water to find its level, if you will. I fully acknowledge being the underdog in this match though, your team has been consistently fantastic all year. Like I said before, it'll take some "out" next to your players names and a down week. Of course, that doesn't mean I'm not going to try like hell! :D

Ugh. I was traveling tonight and wasn't able to reset my lineup.

(I know I know, believe it or not, I actually did want to start Lebron in place of Nicolas Batum... you'll just have to take my word for it lol)

My team is going to have to make a move, Texascat jumped all over me at the start and we haven't been able to recover yet.

LOL Lucas. I hate when I forget to set my lineup too. That sucks man.

So far I have had 1 more game played than you. Its been close all week long. Several categories are close with a few points going either way. I am needing huge total amounts from my team in the next few days.

If it helps you out any, MVP Derrick Rose had 11 PTS on 4-10 shooting. WTF is up with that???????

So far I have had 1 more game played than you. Its been close all week long. Several categories are close with a few points going either way. I am needing huge total amounts from my team in the next few days.

Yeah, it looks a little bit uglier than it is at the moment. I just need my team to perform and close the gap a little bit and it'll give us a shot in the last few days.

If it helps you out any, MVP Derrick Rose had 11 PTS on 4-10 shooting. WTF is up with that???????

Yes. More of the same please.

Yes you did well in those categories. But you are going against the top team for the season. Both teams are doing well. 4 categories are up for grabs. If I can hold on to 2 of them, I will like the results.

PS: Anytime you wanna sit Lebron again, you are allowed.

A NEW CHAMPION

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/files/2010/05/Larry-OBrien-Championship-Trophy.jpg

HOUSTON -- As the seconds ticked down on the 2011 NBF Finals, Highlight Reel owner David Lachney looked up at the scoreboard to take a second to soak it all in.

Forcing back a tear or two, the whole situation was surreal. Lachney was always confident that he would rise to the top, but with his first keeper league championship rapidly approaching he later said that he was surprised at the emotion welling up inside him.

“Elite rookie no more... I'm a champion,” he said after the game. “I just hope this feeling never wears off. We worked so hard all year long. Really its been a two year process, and the payoff is just so sweet.”

Many observers and fellow owners in the NBF mistook Lachney's early confidence for brash cockiness and over-confidence, a trait which could only be matched in the NBF by the owner he defeated in this year's championship match, Garrison Carr. Now, fellow owners will be hard pressed to give anything less than respect to Lachney and the Highlight Reel.

“I wouldn't say this has been about respect,” Lachney said. “I know the owners have always respected my ownership skills and my team – even if they didn't fully appreciate my methods.”

As the seconds expired and Highlight Reel were officially Champions, Lachney was the first one on the court as he sprinted down and threw himself into the arms of Derrick Rose saying “We did it! We finally did it!”

In this case, the “we” was particularly meaningful for both Rose and Lachney. Rose was the first player ever drafted by Lachney after he took over ownership of the Milwaukee Beers and turned them into a powerhouse. The year before Lachney took over, the Beers finished 23 games under .500, and in just the next two years, they've been a combined 99 games over .500 – that's a turnaround.

Lachney took a risk on Rose in the first round of the 2009 Draft. Just entering his sophomore season, Rose suffered through a turbulent year, showing flashes of brilliance here and there but never becoming the very top tier player he had the potential to be. The flashes were enough for Lachney however as he knew he had a franchise player growing up before his eyes.

Rose became a dominant player in year three of his career and at the same time became a fantasy force for Lachney. On the season he averaged an eye-popping (for a point guard) 25 points per game on 45% as well as 86% from the foul line. His contributions didn't stop at the percentage categories however; he added over 4 rebounds and nearly 8 assists per game with those totals while also throwing in almost two 3PM per game.

Rose finished the season 8th on the Player Rater, behind teammate Pau Gasol (4th). Fellow original Milwaukee Beers member Dwyane Wade finished just behind on the PR at 10th. There's no doubt that the maturation of Rose into a top-10 player is what took the Reel from a championship contender, to a champion.

In the post-game celebration the MVP was surprisingly given to a player other than Rose. Instead it was third year man for the Reel franchise, Pau Gasol who took home the top honor.

“It took a lot of deliberating, but with no one really jumping out at us this match, the votes were split pretty evenly, but Pau pulled ahead in the end,” said a spokesperson for the NBF.

In the inaugural Championship, Danny Granger captured the MVP for the winning Team Carr and in year two, Kevin Durant put on a masterful showing, keeping the Micks in it to the very last to get the rarely awarded MVP on a losing team. This year, Gasol showed excellent poise in the NBF Finals. Leading the team in minutes played, Gasol contributed highly in FG% where he shot 54% and from the line, and a respectable 77% from the line on the team's second highest number of foul shots. Gasol had a stellar week rebounding the ball, and also contributed nicely in the assist category.

NBF Commisioner Brad Watts was on the court to present the award to Gasol.

“It's an honor, to award a player and leader of your caliber the highest award in our sport,” he said before trailing off. “And if you want to play for the Rollers, please let us know.”

Gasol took it all in stride however and remained a professional throughout.

“It's a great honor and I couldn't have done it without my teammates... it was just a good all around game,” Gasol stumbled through in generic athlete cliche-speak.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_v3cDTrLRIjE/S8v_ZB06QpI/AAAAAAAABWo/xcRZVNoo8pw/s400/Pau+Gasol+kisses+the+Larry+O_Brien+trophy.jpg

Winning the 2011 NBF Finals put a terrific cap on a great year for the Highlight Reel, who led almost from start of the season to the very end. Happy as Lachney was, he still seemed hungry for more.

“We'll be back, definitely,” he said. “Those other teams aren't going to just take it easy this off season, they're going to be back and better than ever... which means we have to to.”

WOW! Another really nice well-written article. I like the interviews that were going on too. Gasol or Rose deserved the MVP, they were each very productive for my team.

Thanks for the congrats Rock. And congratulations to all the teams who made the playoffs and had successful seasons.

PS: We still need 1 more owner for the baseball season. Lucas, have you signed up yet bud?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.