Nightly Basketball Federation - Season VIII

groove terminator

Ryan, I've actually always spelled certain words the English way (armour, flavour, etc) and was just talking about it with my wife the other day. She said she used to do the same thing until one of her high school teachers deducted points from a paper she wrote for "misspelling" those words. Welcome to the Land of the Free - where we apparently hold grudges a really long time! Damn English, why don't you all learn...um, English?!? :hmm:

Anywho, like Rock said, nice job. I was actually disappointed you didn't do better last week (sorry Ex), because I thought it would be pretty awesome if you made the playoffs your first year. Still, I think it's safe to say you outperformed just about everyone's expectations (maybe even your own!) and your NBF future looks bright! B-)

My Meaningless Playoff Picks!

Round 1:

Rock's Ballers over The Nightmares 5-4

Kemah Schemers over Gold Coast Rollers 6-3

Round 2:

Highlight Reel over Rock's Ballers 7-2

Kemah Schemers over Team Carr 6-3

Championship:

Highlight Reel over Kemah Schemers 5-3-1

That was a very nice write-up. I enjoyed reading all of it, and the posts that followed. My team has taken a vacation due to the bye week, and enjoying sipping on those frozen umbrella drinks. Hopefully they dont come back from it with a hangover. :(

Congrats Ryan on the fine debut season! I hoped you enjoyed it and continue making improvements to your team. I will welcome the challenge of facing any and all competitors. I just hope yall have a bad week when playing my team.

Congrats and good luck to all who made the playoffs. It should be very entertaining to see which teams make it to the Finals.

****. We had a real nice chance to set ourselves up for a Sunday comeback and some of the guys decide to start shooting with their damn eyes closed.

And by the way, Brook Lopez: **** YOU!!!

Ummm, you realise that 5 is BIGGER than 4 right?

Um, you do realize I can't see into the future, right? :rock:

When I said that, I had just fallen behind 2-7, three of my four guys that night had shot under 40% and scored about half of their average, and my seven-foot Keeper center had just given me a six point, ZERO rebound "performance". I didn't say that things were hopeless, but we made it a lot harder on ourselves on Saturday. I am very thankful (and fortunate) that the guys on Sunday actually came to play!

Couple of interesting matches this week.

Reel has 2 more games than Lohr to this point but he's hanging tough.

I'm getting my butt kicked by Brad at the moment, some tenuous categories as always but it will take a solid comeback effort if I'm going to make a game out of it.

Brad and I are going to have one heck of a finish this evening. He's clinging to this 5-4 lead. At times last night I had a 6-3 edge before his team righted the ship in terms of shooting percentages and thanks to a huge game from Blake Griffin in the rebounding column.

I need just one of those two categories. Jason Kidd's poor shooting may well doom me. But as it stands I've still got a shot in both categories so I can make the Finals and lose to Texascat lol.

Also- I'm now even more pissed off that the stupid rosters locked on Friday night before the Wizards and Pacers games even started so I couldn't switch Granger with McGee (I'd be ahead in % and 3 closer in boards!)

Brad it's always a pleasure matching up with you. We have some exciting games (and I know you hate me for it lol).

This will make the early edition of the papers tomorrow :)

Can It Be Three?

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/Gggncar/nba-trophy_full.jpg

Team Carr booked their third consecutive trip to the NBF Championship Series this week with a tense victory over the rival Gold Coast Rollers, coached by Brad Watts. The Aussie is still searching for his first Nightly Keeper League championship in eight total tries. After upsetting the Kemah Schemer's in round one, a team which had legitimate championship aspirations, the Rollers thought they had a chance to take out the defending champions who appeared to be reeling late in the season.

The Rollers had the edge most of the week and appeared to have Team Carr on the brink of exiting the playoffs early for the first time in the league's short history.

“We were definitely worried there for a while,” Carr said. “But when it comes down to it, we always knew we would have a chance if we just stayed the course and played our game.”

“The Rollers are a hell of a team, always have been,” Carr continued. “It seems like just about everyone on that team is a legitimate keeper candidate. I think they proved their regular season record was a bit flukey with the way they beat the Schemers last week.”

Just one field goal percentage point, two turnovers, and 14 rebounds separated the two teams Carr's 6-3 victory over the Rollers.

Team Carr played to their strengths all week which translated to winning FG% and the three defensive categories (rebounding, steals, blocks).

“Guys like Serge and Lebron were huge in those categories,” Carr said. “for Lebron to have the week shooting that he did, at the time that he did was just unbelievable.”

Many will remember that Lebron James was unable to participate in the stretch run for Team Carr last year, which nearly cost them the championship. Kevin Durant of the Irish Micks put together an all-time performance in the Championship Series last year, as Lebron could only watch from the bench.

“That was tough man, real tough,” remembered James. “I'm just happy to be in a better position this year you know. I just gotta help my team as much as I can and we gonna be the best we can be.”

Many basketball analysts lean on the cliché that “big time players make big time plays,” and that was definitely true of James this week. He averaged 30-9-9 in four games this week while shooting a blistering 61.3% on 75 shots. About the only thing he wasn't doing consistently this particular week was blocking shots and making threes – which are usually icing on the proverbial cake.

Another “big time player” on Team Carr is sophomore guard Tyreke Evans of the Sacramento Kings. The status of last year's Finals MVP was in doubt leading up to the match-up with the Rollers.

“The bye was massively important for us this year,” Carr said. “Without the bye, Tyreke doesn't get to play, and to be honest I'm positive we don't beat the Rollers last week without him – maybe not even with him.”

Evans was eased back into the rotation after missing extended time with plantar fasciatis but managed to have a huge impact in this series despite a slightly abbreviated number of minutes. After being inserted into Team Carr's starting lineup in mid-week Evans averaged 18 points, 7 assists and 6 boards. Most importantly however, the sometimes erratic Evans managed 54% on 52 shots this week for Team Carr.

“I was real glad to get back on the court after bein injured for so long,” Evans said. “I was able to get my rhythm back during some practice over the bye week and was able to be effective this week.”

One flaw that Team Carr will have to contend with going forward is the poor play of starting point guard Jason Kidd. Kidd shot a startling 19% this week in three games- something that nearly could have doomed Carr.

“Its an interesting position because he does so many other things well,” Carr rationalized. “He rebounds extremely well for a guard, hits triples, and his assist numbers are fine – but he goes out there and throws up an 0-for-6 performance in the final day of a series, that's worrisome.”

Carr acknowledged the fact that he considered benching Kidd for the final game of the week and is currently toying with the idea of replacing Kidd in the lineup with Jrue Holiday, or pursuing other options at the PG position.

On the other side of the playoff bracket the Nightmares simply looked happy to have escaped round one with a victory as they sleepwalked through their match-up with Highlight Reel.

“Absolutely I would say that I'm disappointed,” said Nightmare team owner Eric Rash. “We've put together three really good teams in three years of the NBF, but we're yet to put together a great one, one that we can really make a run at the championship with. Yes, its very frustrating.”

The Nightmares suffered a blow when the versatile Rudy Gay went out with injury and they never seemed to recover their mojo.

A curious roster move had the media buzzing upon the conclusion of the Nightmares/Reel series. Deron Williams and Chris Paul combined to play just one of seven possible games for the Nightmares this week.

“I'm not going to comment on that right now,” seethed Rash. “I'm going to talk about the players on the court and thats it.”

After a blockbuster trade over the summer that landed Chris Paul on the Nightmares had many considering them the team to beat, it was curious for him to play such a minimal role in the stretch run.

Reel was led by presumptive MVP Derrick Rose of the Chicago Bulls who had a wonderful shooting week and dished out assists seemingly at will.

Remembering what a hassle it was last season to deal with Kevin Durant in the Finals, Garrison Carr was not pleased about being matched up with yet another brilliant young player in the Championship match.

“Its a headache for me, trust me,” Carr joked. “He's got the ability to top every category for any team on any given night. Fortunately we have a guy like that too but still, it would be a lot easier if I didn't have to worry about Rose.”

Highlight Reel and Team Carr will match up in the third NBF Finals beginning on Tuesday. Carr went just 7-11 against Reel this season, falling in matches of 3-6 and 4-5. Reel holds the season long category edge 5-4, however Team Carr may be playing better lately. When both team's category scores from their semi-final match-ups are compared Team Carr actually came out on top 5-4.

“I don't think it means much,” Carr said. “The most accurate thing would be to look at the season long standings, but even then- the playoffs are so random you just never know. I think its actually rare that the best team wins the championship... so maybe that favors us.”

It should be an exciting Finals between Team Carr and the Highlight Reel. Regardless of the outcome, a worthy champion will be crowned.

...it doesn't seem like anyone else cares about the NBF season...)

This apparently being based on the fact that the three other remaining teams hadn't posted for a handful of days, rather than on the fact that the Season III thread is now 28 pages long. :unimpressed:

A curious roster move had the media buzzing upon the conclusion of the Nightmares/Reel series. Deron Williams and Chris Paul combined to play just one of seven possible games for the Nightmares this week.

“I'm not going to comment on that right now,” seethed Rash. “I'm going to talk about the players on the court and thats it.”

The reason I was seething was that I hate having my time wasted by reporters that can't even be bothered to do a little research before they ask questions. If your guy had done so, he'd know that Williams has been on IR for over three weeks now. He did return to the NBA three games ago, but he's not healthy (limited to just 22 minutes in one of those three games) and they are still considering shutting him down for the season. It doesn't take Scooby Doo and the kids in the Mystery Machine to figure out why the playoffs are not a time when I am willing to cut a productive player to make room for a guy who's underperforming due to injury and is effectively day-to-day for the rest of the year.

Not much to understand with Chris Paul, either. He's been struggling horribly with his shot lately. He was a liability to our FG%, which was one of the categories we had targeted as being pivotal. Scoring was another winnable cat, and he wasn't much help there. His only true strength lately has been assists - which was a category that we realized early on we were most likely going to lose regardless. Despite editorials to the contrary, this was largely a close game. In fact, we were winning going into Friday. Then all of a sudden we were plagued by the same kind of inconsistency and underachievement that made us drop in the standings all year long. I had thought - hoped - that we were past that. Rudy Gay and Deron Williams were our most productive, most consistent players when they got hurt. However, we still had plenty of talent and it showed over the last two weeks of the regular season and in the playoffs. Up until Friday, that is.

So, now we're on the outside looking in. Left wondering who will be more unbearable: Lucas if he threepeats or Texascat if he actually gets a reason to act cocky. Hmm, I wonder when the first fantasy football magazine comes out...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.