Moving, mortgages, and renovations

Cerina

They are red oak hardwood floors in the kitchen. Those are staying and getting refinished. They're a little darker stain than I'd like, but full refinishing with removing stain is out of the budget.

We will do something else in the parlor, probably LVP, maybe tile. Not gray, it's gotten too trendy and I fear in 15 years it will horribly date the house. But considering going really dark. It's going to depend on the countertops, though.

20231119_120515.jpg

We went a little more traditional in the kitchen, mostly because I hate the white kitchen trend. I'm not much of a rustic person but I've always loved wood themed kitchens. So for the bathroom, I think I want to go a little wild and be trendy. Our master bath screams 1995 (white tile everywhere, bathtub taking up way too much space). That's next on the renovation list. The kids bath we are going to try to do ourselves (mostly just change out the vanity and pull out the vinyl floor and tile it, I'm not in love with the shower/tub insert but it's a secondary bath and its a least a little nicer than most of the builder tubs I see).

So, the first style is sauna/spa inspired. Wood-like shower tile with black floors. The second is the blue/gray theme. The second feels like a safer choice, but like I said, I love wood theme without going rustic. Is it too much?

Screenshot_20231119_205010_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231119_204530_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231119_204540_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231119_201008_Chrome.jpg

So I have been renting a house at a resort (manufactured home) for 5 years.  The other day I got notice that they won't be renewing the lease this March because they want to sell the house.  They said if I want to stay, I have to buy the house.  However, while I would own the house, I would not own the land underneath it and would still have to pay rent.  The thing is, I am totally not prepared to move this March.  I am leaning towards buying, but I still have to discuss numbers, but I don't think it will be more than $75K.  Theoretically, I could buy it outright and pay cash, which would mean I would only have to pay the rent which would be less than I am paying now for the land and house.  Anyone ever find themselves in a similar situation?

2 hours ago, Zathras said:

So I have been renting a house at a resort (manufactured home) for 5 years.  The other day I got notice that they won't be renewing the lease this March because they want to sell the house.  They said if I want to stay, I have to buy the house.  However, while I would own the house, I would not own the land underneath it and would still have to pay rent.  The thing is, I am totally not prepared to move this March.  I am leaning towards buying, but I still have to discuss numbers, but I don't think it will be more than $75K.  Theoretically, I could buy it outright and pay cash, which would mean I would only have to pay the rent which would be less than I am paying now for the land and house.  Anyone ever find themselves in a similar situation?

No, but it doesn't sound like too terrible of a deal. How much is the land rent? Is there property tax on top of that or no?

What are the barriers to moving out in March? Place to live, I'm assuming. But is there anything else? Physical issues?

I still have to get numbers but when I moved in 5 years ago, they wanted to sell the house for $75K (it was brand new when we moved in).  Being a manufactured home, it hopefully won't be that much, but if it were $75K i could pay it off outright.  As I understand it, yes there would be property tax from the county.

As for barriers to moving, it is mostly because it would be hard to find a house that is as equally affordable.  Also, I am in grad school and will be travelling to Prague the first week of March, so I don't want to jump through my butt trying to move all through Feb.  Plus, I like the house.  It is small, but quaint and has everything I need.  

I have been thinking on this. I think you should do it. You'll probably have to think about where you'll be in a few years but I know life throws changes and even though you may think you'll be in the same place for years you may have to up and move, like Cerina. 

I honestly hate moving. It's something I've grown out of in recent years. HA!

Flooring choices!

We're going to do LVP in the pool table room and the mudroom. We have kids and a dog and the bar will be there too. So anticipating lots of mud, spills, and scratches.

I think we've already kicked out the gray one on the left. We put this on the step down into the room because I do want it to look good against the hardwood floors above.

I think the one on the right looks really good with the wood cabinet sample, but it also reminds me of Sulphur stains from the nasty ass water in Florida.  The one in the middle is really close to the current carpet, so it wouldn't be that big of a change, might lighten up the room a bit? But it's kind of boring.

20231124_160358.jpg

The splotchy-ness makes me think it will hide dirt good. HA! But I'll always be mopping because of that. I am partial to the middle one because it actually will be better for dirt and give you some lightness where it's easier to keep clean and you couldn't do that with carpet. 

I am finally getting permission to close out my sisters special needs fund I set up for her and have a little money left after I paid her bills to think about remodeling myself! I've been shopping for years so I am pretty sure I know what I want and then I get presented with eleventy billion choices and go UGH I don't know.

I hate so many choices. Honestly what helped with this one was I showed my friend who was over for Thanksgiving some haphazard choices and she pointed out that our hardwood floors have a lot of character and said do you really want competing wood? So that eliminated any wood look LVP and we went to tile, which there was a lot less of. Haha

12 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

Offering to help with a project lol

Does he have a lot of kitchen stuff already? Is there a small gadget that might make cooking easier? Nice new pan?

Yeah I almost bought an air fryer for him but he already has one.  As for offering to help with projects, he and I help each other quite frequently so I wanted to get him a gift.

Did it come with a Ring doorbell or something that can help with porch pirates?

Also an electric garage door opener is awesome if it doesn't have that.

There is always something you want to do to even a new house. Some come blocked for ceiling fans but no fans installed so a ceiling fan would be awesome.

I got my brother a gift card to Lowe's he went and bought new hardware to change out the locks on his doors and some plants to put out back.

Got the bathroom sample tile last night, and my husband didn't like it. He thought the grooves looked like grout. So it looks like we are going with the second choice, which is a blue large format tile we found. I was debating between a blue vanity and a gray vanity, but I was thinking gray floors. But then I need to figure out a linen cabinet too. I have a medium brown freestanding cabinet that I think I'm going to use short term and then I'll figure that out later, because a blue linen cabinet might be a bit much.

I like this brand of vanity. We have a larger one in our master bath and it's good quality and has soft close features, while still being reasonably priced (under $1k).

20231124_151857.jpg

Screenshot_20231201_212344_Chrome.jpg

On 11/21/2023 at 2:22 PM, Zathras said:

Just a follow up.  They want $73K plus taxes.  I think I am going to go for it. The question is if I will finance or pay cash, which I can.  I am leaning towards paying cash, as long as some minor things are fixed, because interest rates are crazy right now.  I'm going to see about an appointment this week.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.