Things to see near Heathrow Airport London

Zathras

Hi all! I posted in the Flying thread and and this inspired me to create this one.I am travelling and will be on a 19 hour layover in Heathrow Airport London March 9-10, at Aerotel near Terminal 3.  I am looking to do something for a few hours while there, and was wondering if anyone has helpful suggestions on what to see.  Destiny was kind enough to suggest taking the Elizabeth line Tube to central London.  I was wondering for those who are in the know about London (this is my first time there), especially our UK Nightly members, if there is a good place to go for some brief site seeing and a good place for dinner.  Hell, maybe even meet up with a nighly member there, if feasible!  Please give me some recommendations!

There is nothing really around Heathrow of any interest, but Id take a tube into Piccadilly Circus and boom your in the center of London, a short walk to Trafalgar square, national gallery all that stuff. Plenty of places to grab some food around there. 19 hours is enough time to see a few sights but not a heck of  a lot 

Also depending on your relationship with alcohol I'd go to a pub. There are some pretty old ones in Soho/Trafalgar Square area and it's socially acceptable to drink from about 10.30am onwards in the UK. 

I used to frequent The French House, The Toucan, the John Snow, and the Red Lion. All around Soho/Piccadilly/carnaby st. You might see some famous faces around there sometimes as it's near alot of film production and post production houses and still close to any tube station that can link you back to Heathrow. 

I've not used the new Elizabeth line but I hear it's quick. Before that it takes about 40-45 mins on the Piccadilly to get to and from Heathrow to the center of London 

Oh and don't worry about getting an Oyster card or anything for the tube. Seriously just tap your credit card when you get on and get off. Not worth the hassle for such a short trip. I had to get from Heathrow to London City airport and it was very quick and easy.

If you're going to Picadilly, though, might be better off taking the Picadilly line from Heathrow. I'm not sure if it will take longer but it's more direct and you won't have to manage a transfer.

Don't make the mistake I did and try to walk from Paddington to Picadilly. I thought it would be a nice stroll and it took me literally all freaking day.

Those options all sound nice.  I had a layover like that 7 or so years ago but it was all in the middle of the night, so I just splurged and got a really nice hotel room near the airport.  I’m glad you should have time to go see something on your layover!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.