The Three Body Problem

Hobbes

I binge read this trilogy two years ago and was totally obsessed for a year.  I even bought the author approved fan fiction novel. 

I was super skeptical when I  found out Netflix was picking it up, but hearing the GoT guys were doing it (they did well with ASoIaF when they had the source material and weren't rushing to do a SW series) made me feel better.

I saw the reviews were excellent and the series is pretty much the first book (and my least favorite of the trilogy) so I decided to try it last night.  I was up till three.

Since it is less than a week old--non-spoiler thoughts:

My biggest gripe of books is there aren't any characters who are in all three books even when the characters story lines were happening in similar timelines.  I like that these characters are starting their story now.  Similarly, almost all of the characters in the book lack depth (I want to say it is because it is lost in translation--but I hear similar criticisms from readers whom read it in Mandarin) but the script and actors give these characters so much more depth.  There were book characters I didn't really like, but I love in the series. 

I really don't have any criticisms (four episodes in) , but I agree with what some of the critics are saying--that after the first few episodes it becomes difficult to follow.  I didn't have this problem, but I agree that if you never read the books, a lot of plot lines are difficult to follow.

50 minutes ago, Darth Krawlie said:

Two episodes in and it’s interesting. I tried reading the book but I think I’m too dumb for it. I’m getting dumber the older I get.

I struggled due to all of the characters kinda being the same and, to make it more challenging, most of the characters in the book have Chinese names.  It got easier as it went on. 

Try to stay with it.  I read the episode descriptions so I have a general idea of where this season ends so I don't think they will get very far in the main plot past the first book...but the series does not go in the direction you think it does.  There is a quick one minute scene that I think was in episode 2 that has the smallest scene of foreshadowing.  This is by far, the most creative and insane alien invasion story and absolutely does not go like you think it will and includes the coolest weapon I have ever heard of (and it isn't just more death stars).

Fascinating series - just finished watching and I was hooked! So unlike anything else and not what I was expecting!

I have the 1st book from your recommendation in the other thread on here, so will look forward to reading that at some point.

Definitely left me wanting more!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.