Scott Pilgrim Takes off

Rogue 3

Loved the film - I know if didn’t rake it in at the box office, but I was there and everyone was loving it!

Very excited to have the cast back lending their voices for this 8 episode anime version that’s coming in November - here’s a link to a short clip:

I like how it’s adjusted for the animation - in terms of slightly different dialogue and Michael Cera doing a more animated voice style than what he did in the film.

Can’t wait!

LOVE the movie, am EH on the comic. I wanted this to be amazing but it's feeling kinda flat? Like the energy of the movie was what made it so awesome. The voices are... it's the movie cast, but at the same time, why does it seem like they are just cold reading lines?

Before seeing this clip I’d already kind of soured on what I’d seen of it so far. I still do not really really like the animation style — somebody said it looks like the most expensive Newgrounds project; I think they’re kind of right — plus I don’t like that they didn’t adapt one of the better dumber jokes (“Wallace! Amazon.ca! What’s the website for that?”; wait, it seems that there isn’t a Netflix Dot Ca, it just redirects you to Netflix Dot Com, okay, I guess I understand why they made this particular choice) in this part of the movie/comic but I already kinda pre-decided to give it a shot maybe once it comes out.

• 1 month later...

I did see this and (as expected!) did not like it. I do my best to try and go into any of these things, these make’em’ups — TV, movies, books, comics, whatever — with open eyes and an open heart. I want to enjoy things. I want to have a good time. I guess maybe the problem here is mostly me, sure. Maybe no amount of psyching myself up to like something that I’ve already half-convinced myself beforehand is just not going to be up to snuff is going to work. Yeah. Okay.

I’ve already lanced my boil re: this show, Netflix Scott Pilgrim, elsewhere on the Internet — I got a Discord account! I have officially joined the Internet circa the latter half of the ‘10s! — so I don’t really feel the need to go over again what I didn’t like about the show once more at length. But there is a little thing that I did like which is kind of a spoiler so...

There is a little acoustic lyric-less videogame music cover of ‘God Only Knows’ by the Beach Boys in the finale. I really liked it! The full version from the soundtrack is kinda less understated than the excerpts of it used on the show itself but, well, be your own judge.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.