Getting on the 4K UHD physical media train

Zathras

I have had a 4K TV for a couple of years now, but only recently upgraded to a Sony 4K Player.  Therefore, my 4K UHD disc collection is pretty small. I was just wondering if anyone here is into 4K UHD physical media, and if so, what are your favorite movies so far?   Also, I am wondering if anyone here could recommend some excellent 4K discs. 

In my collection, I have the following on 4K disc:

1. Alien Covenant: Definitely an upgrade over bluray, even if a mediocre movie. 

2. The Batman:  Definitely can tell the difference from bluray in some scenes, but since this is mostly in the dark it is hard to tell you are watching 4K at times. 

3. The Ten Commandments: Phenomenal restoration!  I'm not religious, and the Bible is no more real to me than the Iliad, but it is a pillar book of Western Civilization, with some cool stories.  This one is probably my favorite biblical story, which has influenced Western literature and movies ad nauseam. 

4. Zack Snyder's Justice League:  Despite being 4:3 and muted colors, a whole lot better than the theatrical version.  Just set aside like 4 hours, or break it up in parts!

*The last three I have not watched yet:

5. Spiderman Homecoming

6. Spiderman Far From Home

7. Spiderman No Way Home

Some movies I am looking at buying (and if you have any input on these let me know!) are:

1. Spartacus

2. Mortal Engines

3. The Maltese Falcon

4. Casablanca

5. Citizen Kane

7.  Double Indemnity

8. Dragonslayer

9. Top Gun Maverick

10. Lawrence of Arabia (if I can ever find it at a reasonable price, that is!)

11. Bladerunner 2049

12 Touch of Evil

13. Star Wars OT

I have neither the TV or Player yet, but plan on changing that in the near future.

But I have started to prep! Handy that most releases have the regular BluRay in them.

In particular I like the individual releases for ST & SW films - didn’t like the look of the box sets. Photo below and looks nice and neat on the shelf! Have also got the first 2 Reeve Superman films & Tenet which I loved.

Not sure what’s next - those are my must haves on all media! Like to upgrade my James Bond set at somepoint as only on DVD at present, but only Craig’s are on 4K.

Maybe will look at the Marvel ones as the spines do have the Phase numbers on which is nice!

Then I will pick my faves & push on from there, starting with “The Good, The Bad and the Ugly” for sure!

IMG_9121.jpeg

But I have started to prep! Handy that most releases have the regular BluRay in them.

I wish I had waited on a few blurays I bought until the 4k version came out for that reason.   Except for maybe Star Trek and Star Wars, I don't want to re-purchase movies like I did when I converted from DVD to bluray.  Truth be told, I think in most cases, bluray is good enough, but going forward I will buy 4k for movies that I don't have yet.  

Even though i don't regret the purchase i bought t a high end Blu ray player years ago. An Oppo. I've never seen my Blu rays look better. Now it sits in a closet. As always though the display itself is everything. My next TV purchase will be an OLED.

Can't argue with you there!  I too want to get an OLED one of these days, but my current TV (Samsung 65" regular LED) is working just fine, so hard to justify the OLED purchase right now.  I know a lot of folks are going to streaming, but to me, there is just something satisfying about owning physical media.  No one can take it away.  I can touch it, and own it.  Maybe it is just the generation I am part of that got indoctrinated with VHS and DVDs.  Also, I think in some of cases, bluray physical media still can look better and sound better than streaming 4k. 

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.