10 Cloverfield Lane

Iceheart

Guest El Chalupacabra

So what exactly makes this a spin-off/sequel of Cloverfield? The first one was about a sea monster, and this one is about an alien invasion. Are these events supposed to be related somehow? I never read any of the online promotional stuff, so maybe this is common knowledge. I'm just missing how this film takes place in the same universe as the other one. Outside of the word "Cloverfield" in the title, I don't see a connection between the two.

It's dumb. The aliens sent the Cloverfield monster to eat NYC as the first wave of the invasion, I guess.

The real answer is they shoe-horned this unrelated script into the Cloverfield-verse.

For the first time in my life, I get to name drop about a Hollywood project. I had a beer with the director Dan Trachtenberg at SXSW in Austin back in the day. This was when he was still doing a movie and video game review podcast and doing a few commercials on the side. He's a super nice guy.

I liked 10 Cloverfield Lane a lot. I respect the craft in smaller suspenseful stuff like this even if it's not exactly my favorite genre. There was obviously a lot of carryover from Dan's Portal short film, which is probably what got Abrams to give him a call. I did kind of feel like it came off the rails a little bit in the last act, but I do like what the script was going for. If anything I hope this is his foot in the door to bring that kind of smaller and more personal touch to a peripheral Marvel project in the years to come, I think he'd be a really good fit.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.