Pronunciations

Darth Calvin

I just started this to see how people pronounced different names in the EU. I know I always wonder what the proper pronunciations of these alien names are. A few to start:

Jacen Solo- I think "Jaken", as opposed to a possible "Jason"

Kashyyk- "Kashik" as opposed to "Kasheek"

Mitth'raw'nuruodo- "Myth-raw-nurodo"

Myrkr- "Murker"

I can't think of any others, but I was wondering what other people thought on the subject. Please add any others that may be ambiguous.

Jedi Cool:

At Celebration II, the NJO authors pronounced it "Jason".

How does one pronounce "C'boath"?

I remember the very first time I read the Thrawn Trilogy (back in my middle school days, man that sucks to think about), I pronounced it "Jay-kin". But I hated the way that sounded and decided to go with "Jay-sen", even though at the time I thought it was incorrect. Just coincidence that the latter turned out to indeed be correct.

I pronounce C'baoth "Suh-bay-oth"

How about Fey'lya?

Haha, yep I remember that. Do you still call them that? Because I know even if you want to its hard to change the way it sounds in your head after pronouncing it a certain way for so long. Like before TPM, I had pronounced Coruscant with a hard c at the end. It was hard to get out of that habit.

I had a friend pronounce C'boath as "Ceh-bo."

Vergere I always thought of it as "Vur-geer"

Alot of names I can't pronounce I just view as symbols instead of hearing the names in my head. Good thread.

Alot of the Noghri names threw me for a loop too.

If I remember correctly, Zahn pronounces C'baoth as "Kuh-vath."

And I always want to pronounce the second S in Ssi-Ruuk/Ruuvi, so I think, "Suh-see" for some reason. :p

I've pronounced Yuuzhan as "you-zahn"--that, or the "zah" wound sound like you're saying Zsa-Zsa Gabor's name.

Jason Solo:

Haha, yep I remember that. Do you still call them that? Because I know even if you want to its hard to change the way it sounds in your head after pronouncing it a certain way for so long. Like before TPM, I had pronounced Coruscant with a hard c at the end. It was hard to get out of that habit.

I say "Jay-na" but not "Jason." Lol.

• 5 months later...
Jango Fett:

Heh, yeah, Cor-us-kant. TPM fixed that for me.

I think most people pronounced it that way pre-TPM. I remember all the voice actors in TIE Fighter pronouncing it that way.

I was listening to the Dark Nest audiobook, and the reader pronounced Yuuzhan as "Yushan". I'd always pronounced it "Yuuzan"..

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what i think:

Ysalamiri = ee-sal-a-meer-ee

Xizor = Zee-zor (almost like Ceasar)

Kashyyyk = This is a funny one, because every official pronunciation from video games and whatnot have always pronounced it "kash-ik." But Lucas had to throw that all out the windo (again) in ROTS, when he had Mace pronounce it "ka-sheek." I reconcile this by saying that Mace pronounces it in a more exotic way, while most people pronounce it in a more lazy way. (It's kind of like the word "gyro": some people say "ji-ro" while others say "yee-ro." The latter is correct.)

The correct pronunciation of "Sekot" is revealed in Rogue Planet when Anakin souncs it out. He says, "see-coat?"

Vergere = ver-jer

Nom Anor = nom an-er

Now what about "Twi-lek?" I had always pronounced it "twee-lek," but Knights of the Old Republic has characters pronouncing it two different ways: "twee-lek" and "twie-lek." I guess it's like the Kashyyyk/gyro thing I mentioned above.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.