Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Spoiler Policy , Rules of The Forum, and FAQ

17 replies to this topic

Jedi Cool

Jedi Cool

They call me MRS. Six!

• 19,381 posts

* The rules of Nightly.Net apply in this forum.
* Spam will be deleted without mercy, insults will be edited, and inappropriate threads will be deleted, edited or moved where needed.
* Debate the post, not the poster. Flamers need not apply.

Spoiler Policy

Threads may not have spoilers in the title, whether they are about books, comic books, video games or films.

Threads that contain spoilers must have a Spoiler Warning in the title. A thread with Spoiler Warning in the title must be assumed to contain spoilers. Venture in at your risk.

New Star Wars Films: Please post confirmed news only in thread's designated specifically for that purpose.  Be warned that Confirmed News threads are not spoiler-free and no posts are required to hide information.

FAQ:

What is the EU?

EU stands for Expanded Universe. It consists of novels, comics & videogames inspired by the Star Wars films. These stories often provide a background for established characters, create new characters or tell stories that take place in other eras of the SW universe.

Is the EU canon?

This is an oft-debated issue among fans. When the original films were released, they were accompanied by novelizations, a few related novels and comic book licensed through Marvel Comics. After the release of Return of the Jedi, published SW material gradually subsided until it disappeared altogether. Years passed in which it was believed that George Lucas would never complete the promised additional films.

In 1991, Dark Horse Comics picked up the license for Star Wars comics and began publishing new material. Del Ray books produced novels picking up the adventures in the post-Jedi period with stories approved by Lucas Licensing. Since it appeared that there would be no more films, many fans adopted the further adventures of Luke, Han & Leia as described in these books as an appropriate continuation of the story. Numerous authors worked together over the years to interpret the information provided in the films, comics and books that had come before them, resulting in a nearly 40-year addition to the story of the Star Wars universe.

When the prequel trilogy was released, it was obvious that George Lucas had discarded some of the material from the original novelizations and had disregarded nearly everything published after ROTJ's release. Expanded Universe authors worked to fit the changes into the books & comics. Arguments between fans over what was and was not considered canon became common.

With the new set of films being planned, Lucasfilm/Disney has announced that it does not consider the bulk of this material canon and will likely not consider it when producing the upcoming movies.

There are still those who are very passionate about this wealth of material and would like a place to discuss it. This forum intends to be a welcoming place for fans of SW. We do not expect that you will accept every product with Star Wars slapped on it. However, our tolerance for EU Sucks threads is pretty thin.

I've never read any Star Wars books. Where should I start?

Most agree that Timothy Zahn's Thrawn trilogy, which re-launched the saga in 1991 is the best place. It consists of Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising and The Last Command. Please check the timeline stickied on the forum's main page for hints at where to look for the time period that most interests you.

Can I discuss other Star Wars-related material here, such as comic books, cartoons and video games?

Absolutely. You may discuss nearly every aspect of Star Wars in this forum.

Can I start a role-playing thread here?

Yes. However, the threads must be within reason. This is not a role-playing forum.

What is BBY and ABY

BBY = Before the Battle of Yavin, ABY = After the Battle of Yavin

The Battle of Yavin is the destruction of the first Death Star at the end of A New Hope. Events in the Star WarsIt is the method used to date events in the Star Wars universe.

Sometimes I find a book or comic book for sale on a different release date than what is listed in the forum. Why aren't they accurate?:

The book release dates are based on Amazon.com's pre-order release date. The comics are from Darkhorse.com's release schedule. Both are subject to change...particularly the comics. :(

What are the current Star Wars comics being printed?:

Currently, there are several being written with an occasional one-shot or miniseries. Check the Comics Release Thread for details.

Darth Vader: Set in the OT era.  Vader searches for Luke Skywalker.

Star Wars:    Our heroes, set in the OT era.

Kanan: The padawan adventures of Rebels' Kanan.

Chewbacca: Solo-less exploits of the Wookiee

Princess Leia: Our favorite heroine.

Duncwalker

Duncwalker

• Members
  • 6,529 posts
Sounds pretty good. So is the spoiler policy the same for both hardbacks and paperbacks?

Jacen123

Jacen123

Woggle-Bug

• 36,695 posts

Jedi Cool:
Darth Vader is Luke's father

What? Come on now. That's ridiculous. :P

Come on, you knew someone would eventually say it. :)

Seriously, though, they sound like the good old rules, and, as such(and by their own merits), are amazing.

Lost in Coruscant

Lost in Coruscant

Overlord

• Members
  • 12,399 posts
What about the poor boozers who refuse to buy hardbacks and only buy paperbacks?
  • captainbleh +1 this

Thomas Alan

Thomas Alan

Master Debator

• Banned Users
  • 25,965 posts
Since it appears to apply to me:

What's a boozer?

Lost in Coruscant

Lost in Coruscant

Overlord

• Members
  • 12,399 posts
Well, some people think it's a person who drinks...a lot. Me, I just call everyone who doesn't buy hardbacks a boozer.

Thomas Alan

Thomas Alan

Master Debator

• Banned Users
  • 25,965 posts
I'll add that to my LiC lexicon.

Jedi Cool

Jedi Cool

They call me MRS. Six!

• 19,381 posts
Boozer. Ha!

That's funny. Honestly, I think that six months after a book comes out should be enough, whether it's hardback or paperback.

But let's vote on it.

All those in favor of extending the spoiler time for harcover books until the paperback copy is available, say "Aye"!

Destiny Skywalker

Destiny Skywalker

Actually, I am a rocket scientist

• 20,584 posts
I say "boo".

(That means no. )

Lost in Coruscant

Lost in Coruscant

Overlord

• Members
  • 12,399 posts
Aye. It's not a big deal to put up spoiler warnings.

Jacen123

Jacen123

Woggle-Bug

• 36,695 posts
Aye knew something didn't seem right about those Spoiler rules up there

Duncwalker

Duncwalker

• Members
  • 6,529 posts
Seeing as I raised the point I feel honour-bound to say 'Aye', and I do feel guilty for those who either choose not to (out of principle, I applaud them as I would do the same but for my lack of willpower :P ) or cannot afford the hardbacks.

Jedi Cool

Jedi Cool

They call me MRS. Six!

• 19,381 posts
Very well, we will allow for paperback versions of hardcovers. But I'd like your opinions on how long after the paperback version comes out that it should be spoiler material.

Duncwalker

Duncwalker

• Members
  • 6,529 posts
Half the time I think, so 3 months after the paperback version comes out.

Jedi Cool

Jedi Cool

They call me MRS. Six!

• 19,381 posts
Still in effect.

Lord Darth Vader

Lord Darth Vader

• Members
  • 30 posts

Jedi Cool:

Roleplaying games within reason are allowed. This is not a roleplaying forum.

Thank you. I was beginning to wonder when you Terrans would finally start taking me seriously.

JonTucker

JonTucker

Halo -4- Life

• Members
  • 9,216 posts
You know, given the new show/hide tags, I think the paperback rule would be a good thing.

Jedi Cool

Jedi Cool

They call me MRS. Six!

• 19,381 posts
Updated the spoiler policy. Revised the FAQ

Reply to this topic