Yoda

Hobbes

After the mention of people getting tired of Yoda came up in The Acolyte thread, I thought it warranted its own thread.

Yoda is not only my favorite Star Wars character (and always has been), but also one of my top fictional characters of all time.  I don't view him as this infallible, wizard trope.  I see him as a broken hero (not anti-hero).  Something I always wondered was obviously his ego was a large part of the downfall of the Jedi--but wouldn't his pride and ego be a path to the dark side?  Whether intended through the writing or not, I thought his ability to swallow his pride and go into hiding to train and NOT tap into the dark side to avenge his ego is fascinating. 

I can see his recent backlash--over exposure through Baby Yoda, his ego leading to the downfall of the Jedi, etc.  But just wondering what everyone's current take on him is and I will reply from there.

I am one of those who is tired of Yoda and I think the more they show him, the weaker his character becomes. I always viewed Yoda as a supporting character and his story works best during the Skywalker live action era (Ep1-6), and he was further fleshed out in TCW.  I did not mind Yoda coming back for TLJ, but it was unnessary.   I also think while theoretically possible, I don't want to see Yoda (except maybe a small cameo so you know he is around), in the Acolyte.  Bottom line, the character needs a rest and if they want to explore eras that are removed from the Skywalker saga, they need to lay off of the legacy characters.

I think Yoda is great. He should be in everything. They should put him in all the movies and TV shows. He should be in commercials. He should be on Broadway. The local news. If you open the weather app on your phone to check the forecast Yoda should be there too. George Lucas should raise money online and buy back the franchise from Disney and put Yoda into a cut of Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope (1977) and then he should send vigilante death squads around to everyone’s homes to destroy all the previously released imperfect versions of the film.

2 hours ago, Zathras said:

I am one of those who is tired of Yoda and I think the more they show him, the weaker his character becomes. I always viewed Yoda as a supporting character and his story works best during the Skywalker live action era (Ep1-6), and he was further fleshed out in TCW.  I did not mind Yoda coming back for TLJ, but it was unnessary.   I also think while theoretically possible, I don't want to see Yoda (except maybe a small cameo so you know he is around), in the Acolyte.  Bottom line, the character needs a rest and if they want to explore eras that are removed from the Skywalker saga, they need to lay off of the legacy characters.

Do you think if I saw TCW my opinion would change?  I have only seen him in the movies (I hated his appearence in TLJ)

18 minutes ago, Hobbes said:

Do you think if I saw TCW my opinion would change?  I have only seen him in the movies (I hated his appearence in TLJ)

I don't know.  If he is among your favorite characters, probably not.   TCW doesn't add a lot of value to the character of Yoda that the films don't already do, but featuring him in so many episodes, IMHO, served to dilute his character.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.