Obligatory 2024 Election thread

Ms. Spam

UGH. It's old men again in the Iowa Caucuses. I can't understand how the GOP can turn a blind eye to one criminal it votes for while beating the drum about Hunter Biden. Well I can understand but god, can't we have better choices? I am so uninterested in voting in 2024.

Yup.  Trump is going to get the nomination.  It will be Trump VS Biden again.  Not much of a choice.  I guess I will hold my nose and do like last time and vote Biden, but he is definitely not a good choice.  Just a lesser of 2 evils. 

if Trump gets re-elected I feel like he will for sure be assassinated-- and the comedy of it is, it will be an inside job that will just make him a martyr and lend credence to his "liberal deep state" nonsense. Even if his legal situation ends up making him ineligible to run, it will; be like his rhetoric on voter fraud, will have years of him convincing idiots that the system targeted him.

2 hours ago, Darth Krawlie said:

Been saying it for a decade but wouldn’t it be great if he’d have a fucking heart attack already

THE DEEP STATE POISONED TRUMP AND MADE IT LOOK LIKE A HEART ATTACK!

The guy is like Keith Richards or my dad. No matter how garbage his body is, no matter how much blow he does, he just keeps going past any sort of reasonable expectancy.

I would be at least willing to listen to Nikki Haley. Trump and DeSantis are hard nos for me. Santorum and Paul need to give it up already. 

There are a lot of younger Democrats I'd be willing to listen to: Harris, Buttigieg, Klobuchar. I'd like to see who else is waiting in the wings. I mostly keep up with local politics so I'm not sure what other state governors, senators, representatives are like. But I'm absolutely Anybody But Trump. I do wish Biden had kept his promise to only run for 1 term. I think he thought he was setting Harris up and decided she wasn't electable. I do feel bad that his administration inherited a shit sandwich, but I think it's time to pass the torch.

12 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

I would be at least willing to listen to Nikki Haley. Trump and DeSantis are hard nos for me. Santorum and Paul need to give it up already. 

There are a lot of younger Democrats I'd be willing to listen to: Harris, Buttigieg, Klobuchar. I'd like to see who else is waiting in the wings. I mostly keep up with local politics so I'm not sure what other state governors, senators, representatives are like. But I'm absolutely Anybody But Trump. I do wish Biden had kept his promise to only run for 1 term. I think he thought he was setting Harris up and decided she wasn't electable. I do feel bad that his administration inherited a shit sandwich, but I think it's time to pass the torch.

I am a solid progressive democrat, but I believe there needs to be balance to prevent the extreme far left (annoys me almost as much as the extreme far right) from gaining too much power.  I would be just fine with a moderate Republican in office--actually I would be fine with ANY Republican in office that sticks to what Republicans say they stand for (small government, personal freedom, pro-small business) but it seems the current party is the exact opposite.  Of the current runners, I would be okay with any candidate that is smart, reasonable, would respect the office of president, and most importantly, not batshit insane.  Haley or Christie would fit that bill. 

Between Disantis and Trump, I would go Trump.  Trump has demonstrated some willingness to work with democrats on legislation.   DiSantis, on the other hand, his only real policy is anything that he thinks will own the libs (which I think is the #1 reason for support from is core base).  Trump can be hilarious and is kind of interesting---remember that time he wanted to nuke that hurricane.  DiSantis might be the least charismatic candidate of either party I remember.

However, I believe Trump is a clear danger to core institutions of our country and I don't think DiSantis would try to overthrow the government to stay in power...so maybe DiSantis...I guess...

Ideally, I my ideal pick is some combination of a Jeffries/Buttigieg/ Klobuchar ticket--any of the three in any of the two spots. 

1 hour ago, Tank said:

I still want us to be invaded and taken over by Sweden or Iceland.

I prefer bands of African warlords with 30-year-old trucks with a guy on a big ass machine gun riding in the bed. 

From an outside perspective, Biden seems like Satan in a Sunday hat. Albeit Satan with neurodegenerative disease. And an absolute warhawk. Not to be trusted with the keys. 

Trump seems like a political opportunist with zero scruples and zero actual values so he'll do whatever it takes to win. But potentially might be less of a warhawk as it seems he wants more of an isolationist policy, which if I'm honest, seems like it's better for the rest of the world if the US kept its beak out of everyone else's business.

Neither of them can string a coherent sentence together.

Better the devil you know? 

Sadly we know both of them. Biden is in an obvious mental decline. It's almost like Reagan all over again. But Trump is functionally illiterate on top of being an egomaniac. Biden is a mess but at least he has a long history of civics and service and at least some point knew constitutional law. 

Honestly, I hope when they have a debate a meteorite just hits the building and we're forced to start over.

The frustrating part is by going with Biden the democrats are playing not to lose instead of going with Newsome and playing for the win...and I am an active Biden supporter that thinks he is doing an overall good job. 

On 1/18/2024 at 1:10 PM, Hobbes said:

The frustrating part is by going with Biden the democrats are playing not to lose instead of going with Newsome and playing for the win...and I am an active Biden supporter that thinks he is doing an overall good job. 

Newsome is awful. He's been phoning it in here since Covid year one.

I don't mind a 2nd Biden term because I don't believe that he's actually doing much behind the scenes. I'm mostly ok with his cabinet and the people he's surrounded himself with, and I believe that if Biden were to like fall into a coma or something, they would carry on without him and things would continue on their current course. Now granted, I also believe our current course could be a hell of a lot better, but given how we've seen how it can also be a hell of a lot worse, I'm sticking with another 4 years of this bullshit than that bullshit. 

2 hours ago, Cerina said:

I don't mind a 2nd Biden term because I don't believe that he's actually doing much behind the scenes. I'm mostly ok with his cabinet and the people he's surrounded himself with, and I believe that if Biden were to like fall into a coma or something, they would carry on without him and things would continue on their current course. Now granted, I also believe our current course could be a hell of a lot better, but given how we've seen how it can also be a hell of a lot worse, I'm sticking with another 4 years of this bullshit than that bullshit. 

This is where I'm at as well. Biden appears to have a competent cabinet, and despite the media tearing Harris a new one just months into inheriting that shitshow, she'd likely be fine running the show. Things are a lot more stable under this administration, which is needed right now, given what a hot mess everything else seems to be. I don't think they have all that much control over the economy and inflation as we'd like to think, and we're still feeling the fallout from COVID and the Trump Administration there.

3 hours ago, Darth Krawlie said:

Nah, I don’t think he has a chance at that. I think Trump is determined to pick a woman this time

I think he will go with Vivek--which has been Vivek's plan all along. 

17 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

This is where I'm at as well. Biden appears to have a competent cabinet, and despite the media tearing Harris a new one just months into inheriting that shitshow, she'd likely be fine running the show. Things are a lot more stable under this administration, which is needed right now, given what a hot mess everything else seems to be. I don't think they have all that much control over the economy and inflation as we'd like to think, and we're still feeling the fallout from COVID and the Trump Administration there.

Yeah. I won't go as far as to say that Biden or Harris are in public service for the right reasons, but I do get the sense that they're not in it for power or ego alone. And that lends to them being open to the advice and counsel of others. That's the low bar I require of my elected officials. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.