Leatherface

Hobbes

I was watching Last of Us last night and I was getting ready to go to bed when I noticed on the "You May Also Like" Leatherface and I was all...

Get Unlimited Access to Esquire + the Magazine

...and I pushed play and holy shit--it was good and I watched the whole thing!

Anywho, I had a few questions...

When all of the patients were breaking out of the psychiatric ward, Ike and Clarice started having sex in the hallway.  Clarice decided to switch it up and go down on him.  Was this something you wrote in the script, a directorial decision, or actor improv?

When Ike and Clarice were having sex in the trailer, why didn't Jackson and Lizzy take their guns and escape?

Jackson's fall had a lot of similarities with Anakin.  Primarily, Jackson cutting off Lizzy's head with his mom there mirroring Anakin killing Mace with Palps egging it on.  It seems like the prequals really had a big impact on you as a writer.  I don't have a question, but you can't tell me that rather than hiding in the moose or whatever you actually wanted it to be a tauntaun.

That is it for now. 

The sex scenes, including the necrophilia, were all added by the directors. The trailer scene specifically was hacked to pieces and doesn’t make a lot of sense now.

I can neither confirm or deny any PT inspirations other than after writing a masked villain from a franchise and getting a metric ton of idiot fan hate mail, I may have taken the PT hate down a notch.

11 minutes ago, Tank said:

The sex scenes, including the necrophilia, were all added by the directors. The trailer scene specifically was hacked to pieces and doesn’t make a lot of sense now.

I can neither confirm or deny any PT inspirations other than after writing a masked villain from a franchise and getting a metric ton of idiot fan hate mail, I may have taken the PT hate down a notch.

Not trying to blow smoke up your ass--but I legit loved this film.  I read your thread (thanks Nicole) and the three things that kind of took me out of it seem to have been you frustrations: all the jump scenes, the woods chasing scene (how did they find them so fast--did you write them hiding in the animal corpse or was that part of the director--I want to believe that was you), and the sex scenes.  All of these things seemed to be so forced.  Like when they were having sex in the trailer--I was all "now is your chance---kill them or something". 

Props to you--but you made me really interested in the families history.  I read your interview that you wanted to work on an original idea and not franchises, but I think if you go back a few generations you might be far enough removed from the main character to make it feel like an original work--there aren't many old west horror films that I know of. 

For a second this team was going to do a third one (this one was technically their second, they did the Meh Chainsaw 3D a couple years before) and my pitch was to do a young Grandpa Sawyer in the 30s, working at the slaughterhouse. But since Lion's Gate held it up for so long, the license expired and ended up going to a new studio (which made the one that came out on Netflix last year).

The cow carcass... hahahahaha. The concept was my idea, based on this thing I witnessed as a kid. I had a country-living cousin I was visiting, and we were out in the fields playing, and saw the neighbor kids playing this game where they were daring each other to touch this dead horse. It was all bloated and gross as hell, and no one could get within a few yards without getting scared and running back. But then this one kid tripped and fell on it. It literally exploded and he went fully INTO it. Like he complete vanished from sight. I had the idea for them to hide in a carcass from that... and maybe Luke sleeping in a Taun Taun. Then one night around 11 PM I get a call from France with the directors asking me if I can rewrite with the POV from being INSIDE the carcass. 

And thank you for the kind words :)

1 hour ago, Tank said:

For a second this team was going to do a third one (this one was technically their second, they did the Meh Chainsaw 3D a couple years before) and my pitch was to do a young Grandpa Sawyer in the 30s, working at the slaughterhouse. But since Lion's Gate held it up for so long, the license expired and ended up going to a new studio (which made the one that came out on Netflix last year).

The cow carcass... hahahahaha. The concept was my idea, based on this thing I witnessed as a kid. I had a country-living cousin I was visiting, and we were out in the fields playing, and saw the neighbor kids playing this game where they were daring each other to touch this dead horse. It was all bloated and gross as hell, and no one could get within a few yards without getting scared and running back. But then this one kid tripped and fell on it. It literally exploded and he went fully INTO it. Like he complete vanished from sight. I had the idea for them to hide in a carcass from that... and maybe Luke sleeping in a Taun Taun. Then one night around 11 PM I get a call from France with the directors asking me if I can rewrite with the POV from being INSIDE the carcass. 

And thank you for the kind words :)

That is an awesome story.  That scene actually s the most memorable in the film  for me. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.