So, Florida...

is odd. It's beautiful! I love palms and beaches, though. I expected to see DeSantis and Mickey Mouse duking it out at the beach but so far, my life has been free of politics. One of my friends here is a Republican but he hates Trump so he's tolerable, politically.

I have two tiny (3'X15-20') sun drenched gardens and am waiting to see what happens when they're regularly watered before I rip out too much. My mom had some ferns and rain lilies planted out back and some bougainvilla in the front, I could live with those. I planted 10 black mondo grass with the ferns and so far it's surviving.

It's fucking hot here, even when it's not hot, it feels fucking hot. And it's not even the hot season yet. The AC runs all the time and when it clicks on, my brain registers a furnace kicking on and I have a tiny panic.

I got a job-part time on some hot AC station in Colorado, I start training tomorrow. Looking forward to some structure in my day-I spend all my free time at my pool. I'm in vacation mode and really haven't looked for work much yet. This job came from someone recommending me.

I've only been to the beach a handful of times but spent Thursday morning jet skiing-a belated birthday gift to a friend here. That was awesomeballs. I could do that daily. 4 dolphins came up around us so we shut off our engines and videoed them for a bit. It was really special. Had some lunch at John's Pass along with a few cocktails. That day didn't suck.

Most of my days are like they were in Seattle-spent at home, anxiety-ridden over the shit I *should* be doing. And it's hot outside.

I've been thinking about you and wondering how it was going. I wouldn't feel bad about vacation mode. I have a few friends in various stages of burnout and the time off is really needed to reset, although the anxiety you mention about what you should be doing is really common. It is hard to untrain our brains. Good luck with the new job, I hope it goes well.

I felt the same right after I quit the second job. There was a kind of background noise of worry worry worry about money and doing stuff. I still haven't even finished settling all of Tina's estate. There was a tax thing I had to do and I've been waiting ages to get a letter from the IRS. I could spend all day on hold but I have other things I want to do instead. 

I've been asked to garden around the pool! It's super shady so we are limited to what can grow. I found some hostas and someone gave me two turks cap plants.

I think the always hot feeling is why I could never live in Florida.  I get rage-y when it's hot. LOL How the heck did people live without air conditioning? 

I am glad you got a part time job. Giant hugs!

6 hours ago, monkeygirl said:

is odd. It's beautiful! I love palms and beaches, though. I expected to see DeSantis and Mickey Mouse duking it out at the beach but so far, my life has been free of politics. One of my friends here is a Republican but he hates Trump so he's tolerable, politically.

I have two tiny (3'X15-20') sun drenched gardens and am waiting to see what happens when they're regularly watered before I rip out too much. My mom had some ferns and rain lilies planted out back and some bougainvilla in the front, I could live with those. I planted 10 black mondo grass with the ferns and so far it's surviving.

It's fucking hot here, even when it's not hot, it feels fucking hot. And it's not even the hot season yet. The AC runs all the time and when it clicks on, my brain registers a furnace kicking on and I have a tiny panic.

I got a job-part time on some hot AC station in Colorado, I start training tomorrow. Looking forward to some structure in my day-I spend all my free time at my pool. I'm in vacation mode and really haven't looked for work much yet. This job came from someone recommending me.

I've only been to the beach a handful of times but spent Thursday morning jet skiing-a belated birthday gift to a friend here. That was awesomeballs. I could do that daily. 4 dolphins came up around us so we shut off our engines and videoed them for a bit. It was really special. Had some lunch at John's Pass along with a few cocktails. That day didn't suck.

Most of my days are like they were in Seattle-spent at home, anxiety-ridden over the shit I *should* be doing. And it's hot outside.

What station?  Before education, I was in radio.  I did evenings on a HOT AC station in Denver and voice tracked overnights and was the MD for a satellite network out of Avon/Vail (called Radio One but I left radio altogether when they were bought in 2002 out and moved the HQ to Iowa). 

I never got used to the heat and bugs when I lived in Florida.  I can handle the heat for a few months--but I love seasons. 

On 5/21/2023 at 12:22 PM, monkeygirl said:

It's fucking hot here, even when it's not hot, it feels fucking hot. And it's not even the hot season yet.

Funny you should mention this. Growing up in Florida, I heard a joke once: In Florida, there are two seasons: hot ... and fucking hot. :D

On 5/21/2023 at 7:22 PM, Hobbes said:

What station?  Before education, I was in radio.  I did evenings on a HOT AC station in Denver and voice tracked overnights and was the MD for a satellite network out of Avon/Vail (called Radio One but I left radio altogether when they were bought in 2002 out and moved the HQ to Iowa). 

I never got used to the heat and bugs when I lived in Florida.  I can handle the heat for a few months--but I love seasons. 

Every time I go outside, I feel like I'm walking into a greenhouse.

Turns out, I'm on stations in all 6 US time zones. I'll get a short list soon. It's a fascinating system. I recorded about 300 liners for these stations this past week. Then when I'm on live, they mix them in.

Hot AC=Adult top 40. I have to bone up on Ava Max and her ilk.

On 5/21/2023 at 7:20 PM, Ms. Spam said:

I felt the same right after I quit the second job. There was a kind of background noise of worry worry worry about money and doing stuff. I still haven't even finished settling all of Tina's estate. There was a tax thing I had to do and I've been waiting ages to get a letter from the IRS. I could spend all day on hold but I have other things I want to do instead. 

I've been asked to garden around the pool! It's super shady so we are limited to what can grow. I found some hostas and someone gave me two turks cap plants.

I think the always hot feeling is why I could never live in Florida.  I get rage-y when it's hot. LOL How the heck did people live without air conditioning? 

I haven't settled my mom's estate yet, either. Probate=finality and I just can't yet.

Congrats on your promotion to pool gardener! PICS OFTEN PLEASE. The month of May kills me when I don't have places to garden.

The always hot feeling is just gross. I spend way too much time indoors for such a beautiful place. But it is nice to know that when I have to go out-it's likely going to be a gorgeous day. Now, instead of going outside to cool off, I stand under an AC vent. I remember going on some ride at Disney World when I was a kid-in Epcot, it was like living with the dinosaurs for 10 minutes. It feels that primitive and swampy most of the time here. My neighbors don't even use the pool unless it's a low-humidity day.

2 hours ago, monkeygirl said:

Every time I go outside, I feel like I'm walking into a greenhouse.

Turns out, I'm on stations in all 6 US time zones. I'll get a short list soon. It's a fascinating system. I recorded about 300 liners for these stations this past week. Then when I'm on live, they mix them in.

Hot AC=Adult top 40. I have to bone up on Ava Max and her ilk.

I remember doing those---I think we called them stabs?  Maybe I am remembering those wrong.

I graduated in 2001 and I was doing evenings on the KC rock alternative station and I loved it.  I wanted to go into the programming side (I was SM/PD of my college station) and wound up in Vail as a MD at Radio One (my first day on the job was 9/11).  It was satellite network and stations would buy our feed and play their advertising (mid markets usually had their own morning drive).  We had about 30 markets.  The largest was Ft. Lauderdale and the coolest was Maui.  We had two regional spots per hour (I quickly burned out) and the stations would send us regional stuff to plug.  I still remember one small town in Oklahoma sending us information on a book swap at the local library and I had to somehow talk about that for 25 seconds twice an hour for over a week. 

I received demo tapes daily from DJs  even when we weren't even hiring.  Most were 10x better than me and were willing to work for nothing.  When Radio One and moved to Iowa, I decided I needed to find something else.  I moved to Florida and found a job teaching--one of the reasons I got this job was they were looking for a TV Production/ Media teacher and the principal liked I had real world experience (the other being if you had a degree in science or math you didn't need teaching experience of ANY kind to teach).  I made more as a first year teacher in FL than as a MD of a satellite network.  I think if I stuck with it, I would have been a respectable station manager, but not an on-air talent--but at the time, unless you are in a major market, you had to be on-air to be a PD. 

I still miss it, but I haven't really listened to any radio stations since 2005--I was an early adopter of Sirius and podcasts. 

On 5/21/2023 at 6:20 PM, Ms. Spam said:

I lived in Phoenix for 3 years, while attending a tech school. It hit 118 degrees and I had to wait for a bus to take me across town, to get a part for my car. I had a 72 oz Big Gulp, that I tried to nurse while waiting at the bus stops. My mouth was dry and my belly was full of soda. I honestly can't believe that anyone would want to live here, during the time before AC. Sure, the Navaho's got sent to this living hell to live, which in itself was an asshole move by those in charge of the US government. I'm surprised that they didn't surpass the Trail of Tears, with their march into that furnace of a state.

The one thing about Arizona though, is that you barely sweat, because it just evaporates right off of you.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.