The Marvels (AKA Captain Marvel 2)

CoLA

She’ll get a quick exposition dump, same way Wanda did in MoM. Watching Wandavision wasn’t required, though it certainly adds to the experience of you do.

Sidebar— the girl they cast as Ms Marvel is great and may steal this movie.

Yeah, I loved Kamala in the show and enjoyed the show a lot too.  The character is great anyway, but the actress is just so perfect for the role and captivating.

She is awesome in the trailer here, too.  It looks like they are having Carol be a bit more fun here, also. The movie looks like it could be fun.

• 6 months later...

If this movie is to be any good, Kamala will be the one to save it. I keep seeing the new trailers and it just looks awful. I'm bummed because I actually really like the first one, Danvers is one of my favorite characters, I love the moment she shows up in Endgame and takes out Thanos' ship.

But... Marvels just LOOKS awful. It looks like it was shot on the volume stage. It has that same lack of deep focus and people trying to look like they are running or making big movements, when really, they can only move 3-4 feet at a time that Thor and the Obi-Wan series had. Remember those thugs trying to kidnap Princess Leia in the woods and they were basically running in place? Same thing here. Also, I feel like it has been shot for vertical framing. Like they just want people to watch it on their phones.

I also know from a couple people involved they were doing major dialog rewrites all the way through post, which is a bad sign.

I'll still go and see it, and hope to be wrong.

• 3 months later...

I just watched it and agree in general-- it was much better than expected, and Kamala definitely stole the show. At the end of the day though it still suffers from the general lack of interesting movement and plot the MCU has had for years now. 

I liked it a lot!  I kind of feel like the first Captain Marvel took itself a little too seriously, this one didn't and had more of a Guardians kind of vibe to it.

But I do agree that the look is a problem.  I though way of shooting stuff in the Volume was cool at first during the first season of The Mandalorian, but I'm so over it.  It makes TV and film feel so cheap, and it's so easy to spot when they're over relying on it.

This was really cool in spite of that though.  I loved that basically every major character in this, heroes and villians, were all women.  It didn't beat the audience over the head with it like in the last movie either.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.