Celebration 23 News/announcements

Tank

Well stuff has started to come pouring out...

-THREE movies announced. A PRE-Pt prequel. A post OT/TV sequel. And a POST ST entry.

-The prequel is James Mangold doing a movie about the birth of the Jedi. No one knows anything about it, but clearly they must be hap[y with what he did for Indy to let him do a Star War.

-The post ST movie is the one Damin Lindelof just bailed from, directed by Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy. The big announcement today was that Daisy Ridley will be back as Rey, rebuilding the Jedi order. They didn't say, but my guess is that this is not the focus in the movie, but possibly in the background the way the Alliance was in the OT.

-The OT sequel movie is going to be written and directed by Dave Filoni and be a sequel to all the Disney+ shows combined. There's been rumors for awhile about a Mando/Fett/Ahsoka team up miniseries-- which I have said for sure is going to have Luke. I'm guessing the money needed for this venture made it make more sense as a movie? Star Wars has lost it's foothold on movie screens, so this may be their big push to get it back.

I'm kind of excited for this cause Filoni can do Star Wars better than most, but he has two big flaws that easily tank a movie. One, he goes too deep with the Force mysticism. I'm a less is more when it comes to the force, guy. I hated midichlorians, I hated the introduction of time travel. I hated the alt dimension Father/Son entities, still not sure how I feel about the Bendu and Nightsisters. TWO, he gets sentimental about his creations and won't kill people off when needed-- so he ends up doing a LOT of ret-conning.

Case in point--

- They also dropped the trailer for Filoni's Ahsoka series. It looks badass to be honest, but it will always drive me crazy that these new characters are added in that are given major weight yet weren't part of the OT and should have been. There's always a coy explanation, but this is the problem with constant prequels and in-betweenquels.

-This season of Mando is going to set up the Ahsoka series, starting with next week's episode.

-Ahsoka is out this August.

-Andor S2 in August 2024.

-Acolyte coming sometime in 2024.

-Skeleton crew has no release date yet, but a tease trailer was shown to the panel audience. 

16 minutes ago, Darth Krawlie said:

The Mangold one is far and away the one I’m most excited about

100%. The fact that he said the major inspirations are the 10 Commandments and Ben-Hur is perfect. I remember years ago when RJ was announced as developing as trilogy there was a topic about you'd do in that situation. I remember saying that I'd look at Star Wars as a religion with the Skywalker Saga as sort of the New Testament. Id try to make the Old Testament. So him saying he sees it Biblical epic and  it just seems to be exactly what I want to see.

Out of the 3 the Filoni one is the one Im least excited for, by far. 

Do we REALLY need a Jedi origin story? Really?  I've long wanted an Old Republic era (or inspired) movie, but going to the origin of the Jedi is going too far back, and I fear it will only serve to demystify what is left that is unknown about the force and the Jedi.  If it had been an origin about the Sith, with the Jedi already established, then I might be more interested.  

I can't say I am excited for any of those movies above, TBH, but I suppose the Filoni one is the one I would like to see the most out of those, and that is only because I am still digging Mando.  It is kind of odd to have several TV series that are already (or upcoming) behind a pay wall converge, then make a movie you have to go out and see.   I am less than enthusiastic.  Plus, Mando is good TV material, but I am not sure it is good movie material.

I have zero interest in a Rey movie, to the point that I definitely will not see it.  Having a Mangold movie about the origin of the jedi, then having a movie with Rey re-founding the Jedi seems redundant.  

Is the one Mangold going to do potentially replacing the trilogy Johnson was going to do way back when? I seem to recall something about him writing about the beginnings of the Jedi, so if that’s what Mangold is doing then guessing the RJ trilogy isn’t happening (which was kinda obvious at this point) 

I’m excited about Rey coming back for the post sequel movie but gotta wonder what it was that caused Damon to bail, considering his recent comments. 

The showcase outlined the timeline that Lucasfilm is working with to make this stuff.

4B11CD16-E3A7-41C8-8485-01B135286DB8.jpeg

Getting a little too fancy IMO. What’s the difference between Reign of the Empire and Age of Rebellion? I guess they figure Reign is post ROTS to Rogue One and then Rebellion is the OT? It should just be the Imperial Era.

I've always enjoyed dark side mysticism so I'm curiously excited for the acolyte. 

I generally love existential and magical/mythological stuff so I like going deep on the force so long as they don't go to "scientific" on it and keep it mystical. I hated midichlorians for that reason. But deep dives into esoteric force cults and magic are totally my jam.

Don't care much for an origins of the jedi story unless it's told from a mythical perspective, steeped in improbability and not overly illustrated for lack of a better word.

-Lars Mikkelsen who voiced Thrawn in Rebels, will play him in live action on Ahsoka.

-Rogue Squadron isn't dead., it just couldn't happen the way they planned-- which in Hollywood-speak means it was a time/money/schedule issue. They may recycle the material into a show, they may rework it into a more manageable feature, and it may or may not involve Jenkins.

- Taika Wattiti's movie is still in the works as well, just not on the schedule as he hasn't turned in anything yet and is likely still writing.

Something i find frustrating is this: They said TROS was the climax of the Skywalker Saga. Yet now we have a movie being made about Rey Skywalker which takes place basically a generation after TROS. What makes this not Episode X? 

2 hours ago, The Choc said:

Something i find frustrating is this: They said TROS was the climax of the Skywalker Saga. Yet now we have a movie being made about Rey Skywalker which takes place basically a generation after TROS. What makes this not Episode X? 

They haven't said as much-- but this movie has been in development for a year. I really get the impression that it's not ABOUT her per se, just that she's around. Kinda like how The Alliance is there and around for the OT, Rey's Jedi are around in this movie-- but it's not her story. She'll be like Yoda in the OT I'm guessing, a mentor to whomever the story is about.

So Rey is doing what Luke was supposed to do after the OT? I guess they had to go that route since they ruined Luke's story in the ST. :(

Most excited for Ahsoka, been waiting since it was revealed to be pretty much Rebels season 5! Not sure about the origin of the Jedi one, as said a movie or series set in the heydey of the Old Republic would be better IMO.

-- Trailer for season 2 of Visions is out. I loved the first one, and this one looks pretty cool too.

-- They also said Tales of Jedi would get a second season at some point

For animated stuff I really couldn't get into Bad Batch, but these two series were pretty cool.

3 hours ago, Tank said:

-- Trailer for season 2 of Visions is out. I loved the first one, and this one looks pretty cool too.

-- They also said Tales of Jedi would get a second season at some point

For animated stuff I really couldn't get into Bad Batch, but these two series were pretty cool.

The Dookue centered Tales of the Jedi were great. The Ahsoka ones were pretty good too.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.