WrestleMania 39

Metropolis

With night 1 of WrestleMania tomorrow it's time to get hyped. If we weren't already. Tomorrow had become tricky for me because I have to deal with Miami-UConn starting during the second hour of the show. Logistics of that aside, I've been thinking about the WOW factor. As it is most of the card is good enough to give us some great matches. I don't think HHH wants just a great wrestling show. He wants a spectacle just like Vince would. So what does he have up his sleeves? Maybe the Rock doesn't wrestle Roman, but does he show up? 

I was thinking about doing a pick em. I have to find an official list of matches. I know that that Wyatt-Lashley match is still up in the air 

Night 1:

John Cena vs. Austin Theory(US Title Match)

Braun Strowman/Ricochet vs Alpha Academy vs Street Profits vs Viking Raiders

Rey Mysterio vs Dominik Mysterio

Seth Rollins vs Logan Paul

Becky Lynch/ Lita/ Trish Stratus vs. Damage CTRL

Charlotte Flair vs Rhea Ripley(SmackDown Women's Title match)

Sami Zayn/KO vs The Usos(Undisputed Tag Title match)

Night 2:

Liv/Raquel vs Ronda/Shayna vs Shotzi/Nattie vs  Chelsea/Sonya

Brock Lesnar vs Omos

Edge vs Finn Balor(Hell In A Cell)

Drew vs Sheamus vs Gunther(IC Title Match)

Asuka vs Bianca Belair (Taw Women's Title Match)

Cody Rhodes vs Roman Reigns (Undisputed Universal Title Match)

If Lashley gets a match tonight I'll update it.

I haven't really watched wrestling in a few years--I do see random clips here and there.  I have heard it is pretty good now.  Looking at the WM card, there are a few names I don't recognize, which is fine and actually a good thing.  A few thoughts by someone that loves pro wrestling but is out of the loop:

Why aren't these guys on the card ( I know not everyone can be on the card, but they seem to be pretty big names to be left off)

AJ Styles (is he injured?)

Bray Wyatt (I know he was released and brought back--but weird not to see him here)

Randy Orton (injured?)

And Lesnar versus Omos???  Last I saw Omos reminded me of Giant Gonzalez.  Has he really improved that much?  This seems like a match below Lesnar.  I see that Lashley may not have a match, but I think Lesnar vs. Lashley is a match everyone (okay at least I do) wants to see.  Why isn't this happening?

I like Cody Rhodes new look, but in my mind he is still a mid-carder at best. 

Styles, Bray, and Orton are all hurt. Bray might be sick and not hurt actually, no clarity there.

Omos sucks, but this is the match that, reportedly, Lesnar chose. He turned down matches with Lashley (he had a feud with him and they wrestled at Elimination Chamber) and Bray, and Austin was pitched a match but I don't remember why that was rejected. The internet wanted Brock vs GUNTER, but the latter would do better with some more build before that happens. The tease at the Rumble was good enough. But yeah, Brock wanted Omos for some reason.

I'm not a huge Cody fan myself but he's massively improved since leaving WWE a few years ago. His time in the indies, Japan, and AEW really elevated his game. He's very worthy of this spot.

1 hour ago, Darth Krawlie said:

Styles, Bray, and Orton are all hurt. Bray might be sick and not hurt actually, no clarity there.

Omos sucks, but this is the match that, reportedly, Lesnar chose. He turned down matches with Lashley (he had a feud with him and they wrestled at Elimination Chamber) and Bray, and Austin was pitched a match but I don't remember why that was rejected. The internet wanted Brock vs GUNTER, but the latter would do better with some more build before that happens. The tease at the Rumble was good enough. But yeah, Brock wanted Omos for some reason.

I'm not a huge Cody fan myself but he's massively improved since leaving WWE a few years ago. His time in the indies, Japan, and AEW really elevated his game. He's very worthy of this spot.

Watching RR now to get caught up.  No clue who Gunter is.   Wow--Miz was out fast--how he has fallen.

Is Dolph Ziggler still around?

Ziggler's around but he's not significant lately.

GUNTHER was known as WALTER in the indies and NXT UK. He's one of the top talents in the world right now. Go back and watch his match with Sheamus at Clash of the Castle--probably the match of the year last year, at least in WWE. I'm expecting his current run with the Intercontinental Title to break the Honky Tonk Man's record.

5 minutes ago, Darth Krawlie said:

Ziggler's around but he's not significant lately.

GUNTHER was known as WALTER in the indies and NXT UK. He's one of the top talents in the world right now. Go back and watch his match with Sheamus at Clash of the Castle--probably the match of the year last year, at least in WWE. I'm expecting his current run with the Intercontinental Title to break the Honky Tonk Man's record.

Yeah--already impressed with him.  Just saw his showdown with Lesnar and he looks legit.  I like his look.

And Corbin...what a drop off...

12 hours ago, Darth Krawlie said:

Also, if you're watching the Rumble, you should watch Elimination Chamber as well

Will do.  Watched all of RR.  Still don't buy Cody...still feels very midcard to me.  I literally never heard of Gunther before but I was pulling for him the entire time.  Also, I always likes Bray when he had the whole swamp vibe going--I thought the fiend sucked.  But I felt wwe wasn't quite sure what Bray's character was the whole time.  I feel that way with his return.  Am I wrong? 

I went to the grocery store during the Gargano match. So what I can take from the Stand and Deliver results is the Bron is done in NXT. I wouldn't debut him Monday or Friday. Come up with a storyline before you do it. Pretty Deadly is done as well. I think they're gimmick can work well on the main roster. But do not debut them until you split up the tag titles HHH! Is Roxanne done? IDK. Wes Lee has impressed me as a singles wrestler. I think he is right there with Melo. Though i believe that Melo is a few steps ahead of Lee in terms of star talent.

Watching Elimination Chamber--pretty impressed with the show.  Specifically Montez Ford and Damien Priest--never heard of them before this.  I like the Dominick and Finn Balor Brood like group.

So I haven't seen Omos since he was with AJ Styles and maybe because you see him all the time, but he is WAY better than I remember.  Still kinda sucks though. 

1 hour ago, Metropolis said:

Something has to be said for story. Mysterio match so far best of the night.

I disagree, I thought the whole thing was pretty cheesy (handcuffs...really) and Dominick still looks green wrestling wise.  I remember when Rey took off his mask in WCW and all I thought was the babyface runs strong in that family. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.