Diablo IV

Odine

So back in 1997 or whenever my best friend and I discovered this dungeon crawling game called Diablo. It was grim and goth as hell, and we LAN played the shit out of it. It was literally a life changing game. Then came Diablo 2 which we both played, but not as much which was hailed as a masterpiece. 

A few warcraft's and a world of warcraft later Diablo 3 came out and was a massive dissapointment. They traded gritty grim dark goth realism and horror ultraviolence for the neon cartoonist World of Warcraft aesthetic and minimal story. I hated it, save for the satisfying gameplay and top tier sound FX.

Now, here comes Diablo IV, and it looks like a promising return to tradition. It's dark as fuck. The art style is more naturalistic than cartoonist, proportions are more realistic, the music is amazing and the mood feels absolutely perfect. And it's coming in June.

BUT 

Activision is still the publisher and I am afraid of their greedy corporate interests fucking up the release of this game. This game, if blizzard gets it right has the potential to restore A LOT of goodwill with their player base everywhere if they nail it. Everything I have seen looks very promising and I cant help but get excited. I'd be so happy to play this every night after putting my son to bed for a few hours, slaying demons and scaring the crap out of myself like it's 1997 again. I really really really want this to be a smash hit. God knows the fans of old school Blizzard could use a hit game without abusive paywalls and microtransactions. They are still going to be present, but the developers promise they'll be cosmetic items only, nothing power related.

Anyway, I don't want to work myself up but I already have. I'm amped and I want this to be awesome. But I'm nervous too. Cause the potential here could be another benchmark in ARPGs.

I liked Diablo 3, though I played it on the PS3 of all things. I did get the PS4 version, but never did get around to playing it. I'm hoping that the the PC version of IV will have the option of using a controller. I have a PC in the living room (surround sound FTW!) and like to kick back on the couch to play some games on it. Diablo IV would be the perfect fit for that.

Have you tried out the updated Diablo II? The graphics look pretty awesome!

• 3 months later...

So far I'm having a blast. The last two nights there have been server and login issues which is a bummer. But once I'm in the game itself is amazing. 

The monetisation is a bit grim, but I won't be engaging in any micro transaction shenanigans 

I never got to do the Server Slam weekend. I had downloaded it and was going to give it a try on that Sunday, only to find out that the event was over. 

I'd pick up the game, but I'm currently backlogged with Dead Space, Resident Evil 4 and Tears of the Kingdom. 

The first season doesn't start for a while (like months maybe)anyways so you're not missing out on any of the live service elements yet. My experience with it so far is it does seem a return to glory for Diablo. Albeit with horrible monetization 

On 6/8/2023 at 10:48 PM, Odine said:

The monetisation is a bit grim, but I won't be engaging in any micro transaction shenanigans 

Ah man - hate it when those things come into it. Should be enough that you’ve bought the game or maybe bought a “bonus content” edition, but not then keep charging for stuff.

9 hours ago, Gamevet said:

I'd pick up the game, but I'm currently backlogged with Dead Space, Resident Evil 4 and Tears of the Kingdom. 

Really enjoying Tears of the Kingdom! So vast and the side quests are interesting, not repetitive which is nice.

Not overly familiar with the Diablo series, but had played through half of 3 (Reaper of Souls edition), before getting distracted 10 years back according to my trophy log on the PS! Will have to revisit that!

Glad you are enjoying it Odine!

16 hours ago, Rogue 3 said:

Ah man - hate it when those things come into it. Should be enough that you’ve bought the game or maybe bought a “bonus content” edition, but not then keep charging for stuff.

Really enjoying Tears of the Kingdom! So vast and the side quests are interesting, not repetitive which is nice.

Not overly familiar with the Diablo series, but had played through half of 3 (Reaper of Souls edition), before getting distracted 10 years back according to my trophy log on the PS! Will have to revisit that!

Glad you are enjoying it Odine!

I played through the campaign of Diablo III, on a PS3, of all devices. I did finally get the PS4 version, but never got around to playing it again. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.