The Last of Us (HBO)

Odine

It was cool to see Bill's backstory. They changed it up from in the game where

Frank had betrayed Bill,

but I've always wondered about Bill's backstory, when I'd played the game. He was certainly a guy that didn't trust anyone and treated them as contracts.

No shocker that when the best game ever is adapted with a top notch show runner working with the game creator, and given the best casting possible and $10mil an episode, you end up with a pure gold show.

Loving it. Thus far all the changes from the game have made sense for the change in medium. 

1 hour ago, Tank said:

No shocker that when the best game ever is adapted with a top notch show runner working with the game creator, and given the best casting possible and $10mil an episode, you end up with a pure gold show.

Loving it. Thus far all the changes from the game have made sense for the change in medium. 

My only problem with the 3rd episode, is that they

ended Frank and Bill's story with a happy ending. Frank needed to betray Bill, leave that letter and have Bill deal with an event that resulted with that betrayal.

Neil can't help himself!

I think the story change with Frank and Bill was excellent. And I can't think of a better depiction of love between two men in television, ever. Normally gay relationships are highly fetishized, or overly sexual, or overly woke (for lack of a better description) portrayals. This was just really touching and powerful 

Also, I suppose they get a happy ending within the context of a zombie horror film, but it's about as happy an ending as the old couple who get into bed and drown together instead of getting on the life boats in Titanic. It's sad, kinda tragic, and romantic...but happy? 

It also gives the note left to Joel deeper significance, like the moment in the hero's journey, that leads to him lowering his walls that lead to the development of paternal feelings for Ellie.

I'm okay with that. It gives me time to do other things, besides junking out on television.  Even when I was plowing through Cowboy Bebop on Netflix, I ended up taking a break for a couple of weeks, before watching the final 2 episodes. 

Shit, I waited 2 years to finally get a PS5. It's not like waiting a week for a show is going to kill me, especially when there's more media content to consume, then there's ever been.

I would say I watch fewer shows now though, despite the wealth of content, and might watch 2 or 3 episodes a night of a show that has a season drop, not the whole season. I prefer to get them done over a couple weeks (sometimes days) so I can move on and do other things.

• 2 weeks later...

I will admit, this is the first time I thought the game content was better than the episode. I didn't love making the guy a preacher as a short hand to evil (said as a total atheist), and they were too overt with the pedo stuff. I also felt like the isolation the game gives you playing as Ellie in a frigid lonely winter really builds on her, and the feeling of desperation. I get they have to condense for time, and they couldn't do two episodes in a row with Pedro sidelined, but I feel like Joel just popped up with no troubles and his and Ellie's connection for him to get to "baby girl" just wasn't felt enough. He was trying to pawn her off on Tommy just a couple weeks ago (again, I know in their time it was months, but we needed a bit more I think).

Overall, quibbles though, I'm being picky- it was still a great episode of TV, and they retained my favorite line from Ellie "Tell them that Ellie is the name of the little girl that broke your fucking finger."

It's been ages since I played the game so I can't really rembember it to compare. Time has been condensed a lot, but as someone who can't remember the game enough to compare it to, the "baby girl" didn't come out of knowhere for me. I think Ellie nursing Joel to health sold that enough... The only bother I had was Joel sprung back to health a little quickly. I get that he had to act like he was fine when beating the shit out of those two guys, but he did seem just a little bit too capable after what he had been through. But that's a minor nitpick for me.

Bella Ramsey's performance has left me very impressed though. Damn she's good.

Welp it's done.

Like most of the internet I feel like the whole season felt rushed. Could have used another couple of episodes to let Ellie and Joel's relationship breathe, and have more significant moments of growth/development. 

Other than that, another great episode. Loved the whole season over all, with the above caveat.

Hopefully this season has proven to studios that video game adaptations can be smash hits if the source material is adhered to.

I haven't felt too rushed until this finale episode. It delivered perfectly on the game content-- I was SURE they'd show a bit more with the doctor and Marlene given how much it comes into play in the next story. But it was so fast it almost felt anti-climactic. I could have used another episode between Jackson and Joel getting hurt. They cut a lot of the game's action out, which makes sense narratively, but they could have done an episode just dealing with clickers somewhere along the way.

I could have also used more with Ellie's mom.

And as much as I love the episode with Bill, it seems like an odd outlier now. I was expecting them to do at least one other divergent tale. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.