The Mandalorian Season 3

Zathras

On 3/17/2023 at 7:01 AM, Zathras said:

Well if you remember from TCW, Mandalore had at the time of the PT was a peace-loving pacifist society.  This was after thousands of years of Mandalore being a warlike, honor-bound society.  I think the Watch is just the remnants of the warlike era.  Maybe that is why Bo-Katan sees them as zealots?

But Bo Katan was part of these “zealots” and fought against her own sister to bring an end to the pacifist society her sister was running. (Remember, in TCW this group was blowing up civilian buildings on Mandalore, killing innocent people.) Katan didn’t leave the group because she had a change of heart or came to the conclusion that their terrorist actions were wrong. She only left the group because Maul took over and “he wasn’t Mandalorian.” That’s why when I see her now sulking about the downfall of her planet (that she likes to remind Din over and over that she once ruled), I can’t help but think you got what you wanted. The warrior culture and its entry into the war that ultimately brought the planet to ruin. 

All of that is true, but my problem is The Watch are presented as awfully culty, and a legacy character tells us clearly they are zealots, establishes they are in fact zealots via subtext and visuals. And now they are possibly reversing that. 

13 hours ago, Tank said:

All of that is true, but my problem is The Watch are presented as awfully culty, and a legacy character tells us clearly they are zealots, establishes they are in fact zealots via subtext and visuals. And now they are possibly reversing that. 

I always felt watching the show that Mando would lead these guys away from their zealotry at some point. 

Nice guest appearance in this weeks episode from an actor in a different role! Think I could have had many guesses and not predicted that! :lol:

Good proper Mando episode - maybe some might argue a filler, but I think it was important with Mando & Bo-Katan spending the whole episode with the clan and saving the day. Very enjoyable!

I did not know that was him until the credits! Soon as I saw the name I realized it was him.

So, one thing I thought was weird. The bird thing took the kid and Bo followed it back to the nest. Why did it wait an entire day to barf him up? Conveniently moments after they arrived. :P

For me at least, Carl Weathers has been the first director to genuinely capture the ‘feel’ of Star Wars in the Disney era. I mean if someone told me Lucas had secretly directed the episode I wouldn’t have been that surprised. It felt like one of the old Saturday morning serial shows like the OT and the flashback scenes wouldn’t feel that out of place in the prequels either. 

The episode he did in the second season was one of my favourites for similar reasons as well. He just seems to have a good feel for Star Wars. So yeah, really enjoyed this episode. 

Ok, so I was a bit critical on the first episode (side quests and all that), but I take it back!

Very nice episode today, tying in to those events and more good progression on the Mando clan story. Another cameo - this time a character from the Rebels show! A further cheeky set up for the Ahsoka show (after the hyperspace whales in ep 1), no doubt about it.  Very understated and nicely done.

And good epilogue to the episode in teasing out what’s to come. Lovely stuff!

Def felt a little more on track.

I will say, I am far more interested in Bo's arc than Mando's Part of me thinks Grogu should have left with Luke, and Mando off into the sunset and this show could have been handed off to Bo. Maybe I'm a bit more invested having liked her in animated form,. I think Katie Sackoff really gives her a presence. 

If this season really is about the restoration of Mandalore, we shouldn't have had to dick around for 4 episodes to get to it.

Thats kinda my issue with the show. Whats its about? Is it about the Mandalorians? Is it about how the FIrst Order rose during the New Republic? Is it about fun adventures with Mando and Grogu? I suppose its all of the. BUt thats why I just dont like this style if story telling. Where its like like lets have major events that should pertain to this show taking place in BOBF. It just doesn't quite work for me. For me its like, just tell a story. Don't fill in gaps of another story. 

I think all the New Republic and Empire stuff isn’t as much as about filling in the gaps for the First Order but setting up Thrawn as the eventual big bad across this and Ashoka. First Order will probably a part in it though. But yeah, the storytelling on this is really disjointed, wish they’d just done one singular ensemble show from the get go. 

4 hours ago, Tank said:

Exactly. They've lost THE WAY.

I like this show. I always watch it right away. I dont like it as much as alot of fans seem to, which is fine. But my main issue is I feel there is a gear they can go to which they seem to stay away from on purpose. Now maybe its due to budget. Maybe they are about to go balls to the wall Mandalorians vs Imperials which could be great. I just dont have faith they are going there. 

Zeb looked so good in live action! Like how this series has been setting up Ahsoka a bit with these little teasers. It's nice to get confirmation that we will be getting the full team of the remaining Rebels back for her show.

Holy crap i thought that was just A Lasat. I didn't know it was Zeb.

This is actually in me but i keep losing track of the timelines. Andor and Kenobi are post prequel shows. The Mandalorian and BOBF are post ROTJ. When I watch old Clone Wars episodes I forget how young Ahsoka was even compared to Rebels. I don't follow rumors about SW anymore so I'm not aware of Ahsoka is suppose to occur concurrent with Mando or further ahead in time.

I haven’t started watching this season yet. But it sounds like, from you guys here and elsewhere, it’s more cartoon continuation? I’m just… so not interested in that. I’ll watch it, but it’s gonna be hard for me to care. My wife likes it, but any time I have to start explaining lore in order for it (or any show, not just Star Wars), she tunes out. When it’s lore even I don’t know, why the hell should we bother watching at all?

I haven’t watched any of the cartoons, and I’m sure I’m missing some context here and there, but it doesn’t seem to be an issue. I’m enjoying it. 

In a way it’s like the references to the clone wars in A New Hope. There’s a backstory being referenced. But you don’t have to know it to follow the story in the show. 

I’m enjoying this season as well. It would be much better if they had left the Grogu story as it was like a number of us have said. Just doesn’t feel like he fits in with this plot.

But am enjoying the progression of the Mandalorian group. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.