The Mandalorian Season 3

Zathras

Meh I enjoyed it. Seriously, coming in hot after watching BOBF.... this is already better.

Love the little guys working on IG88.

I still love Grogu, season 01 of Mando came out before my son could crawl, so I'm attached to the Mando & Grogu vibes. The little pod for Grogu to sit in in the ship, shit man it's too cute.  Grogu spinning around in the office chair when Mando is meeting the dude who's name I've forgotten. Love all that cute stuff. I'm gonna pretend I'm the Mandalorian when I'm bombing around in my Honda Civic with my kid in the back.

Yeah the episode went nowhere, but maybe if it was just 15 mins longer it would've been decent. Could have used another beat or cliffhanger or something 

Does anyone feel also that there is just something a bit off about alot of the aliens in these shows? I can't really pinpoint it. Id say alot of it is that they speak English without accents whereas most aliens in the movies are subtitled of if they speak English they have strong accents or at least unique voices. The aliens here seem to sound like a guy Id run into at the store. Maybe thats not fair and Im not even saying its a complaint but just something Ive noticed. 

I know what you mean - the element that sticks out to me is the sounds effects for aliens.
A lot of the time it feels like the same set of noises for Jawa’s, R2, and others like that if you see what I mean. We only hear established effects from the films for the most part? Maybe it’s just me though…

10 hours ago, Rogue 3 said:

Yeah - the whales… Weren’t they something to do with Ezra and Thrawn’s disappearance? Need to look back to Rebels to check, but if so, looks a teaser for the Ahsoka series maybe?

That's what i was thinking. I was surprised because there are some things that worked for animation that probably shouldn't see the light in live action series. Like none of the inquisitors used their lightsabers as helicopters.

5 hours ago, Odine said:

Meh I enjoyed it. Seriously, coming in hot after watching BOBF.... this is already better.

Love the little guys working on IG88.

I still love Grogu, season 01 of Mando came out before my son could crawl, so I'm attached to the Mando & Grogu vibes. The little pod for Grogu to sit in in the ship, shit man it's too cute.  Grogu spinning around in the office chair when Mando is meeting the dude who's name I've forgotten. Love all that cute stuff. I'm gonna pretend I'm the Mandalorian when I'm bombing around in my Honda Civic with my kid in the back.

Yeah the episode went nowhere, but maybe if it was just 15 mins longer it would've been decent. Could have used another beat or cliffhanger or something 

I don't know I thought the episode was fine.  Just a little short.  I remain optimistic.

3 hours ago, The Choc said:

Does anyone feel also that there is just something a bit off about alot of the aliens in these shows? I can't really pinpoint it. Id say alot of it is that they speak English without accents whereas most aliens in the movies are subtitled of if they speak English they have strong accents or at least unique voices. The aliens here seem to sound like a guy Id run into at the store. Maybe thats not fair and Im not even saying its a complaint but just something Ive noticed. 

Yeah I noticed that first with Obi Wan, but this also stands out.  Without alien accents, it pulls me out of the story and it reminds me its just some dude in a mask.  

I agree with the assessment that the episode was "fine". Thats the thing with this show for me though. There have been 17 episodes. Probably 3 or 4 maybe that I'd say were really good. A couple that I think were not good at all. Then a dozen or so that are just "fine". I like the show and will watch every episode and Im sure most of them on the day of release but I just don't find myself really looking forward to or amped to see the next one very often. 

Well, I am enjoying Mando.  I don't have any complaints, but one thing I can take issue with is the show has too many side quests.  It really comes off as too much like a video game.  But other than that, I find Mando a good old fashioned popcorn flick.  I don't take it as seriously as say Andor.  

I feel like the side quest nature just is the show. They aren't really side quests, thats what the show is. It almost feels a bit like an old Saturday morning cartoon. The Ninja Turtles sometimes didn't fight Shredder. Theyd sometimes have different enemies but Shredder was always going to be the main one and come back. This show is similar in that its set up Gideon as the main villain, at least through 2 seasons, but he isn't always there and Mando has adventures outside of that but we know Gideon will be back eventually. 

The episode is what we in the biz call “housekeeping.” You are restating the status quo, showing where all the major players are, paying lip service to changes, setting the basic goals, and any antagonists are very very low key.

Thing is, in a serialized format, which Mando wasn’t in S1 and became in S2, you don’t do this as your opening episode. You open on something big and exciting and new, which is very SW. Even Andor, which was very slow paced and low key, started with some action and intrigue and set some stakes. Then I’m episode 2 you slow down and do the housekeeping.

The decision to start this way is a bit baffling, and just highlights further how stupid it was to sneak the Mando story into BOBF.

Honestly, if Mando had just showed up to help Fett in BOBF, and all the Darksaber and Grogu stuff had been the first few episodes of S3, that would have made so much more sense.

In fact, now that I type it, I think they assumed people would rewatch BOBF BEFORE diving into Mando S3. Then the housekeeping up front would make sense.

I don’t know, Filoni and Favreau so seemed to get it, but these decisions make no sense. I suspect they are coming from above.

Certainly because ive only just watched BOBF the housekeeping of this episode felt more like a natural follow on. I almost forgot the past events were from a different show. Objectively looking at it that was a terrible idea (Mando in Boba et al).

I'm glad I happened to watch BOBF so recently because I imagine I would be as disappointed or confused as anyone else by the housekeeping episode opener.

We started to watch the new season the other night and in the recap my wife was all, "I don't remember any of this".  I decided to re watch episode 6 and 7 of BoBF.  We only watched episode 6--but I swear it felt like most of that episode was him putting together his new spaceship with that lady on Tatooine. 

Now that we’ve had two episodes of Mando S3 and next to nothing had happened, there is literally no reason they couldn’t have done the BOBF episodes with Mando here. 

They should have stopped with S2. That ending with Luke was great and Magic and they aren’t going to get that back.

This was definitely a meh episode.  Despite that, cool confirmation that the droid is R5-D4.  Mando was rescued twice in this episode by Bo Katan.  I think he owes her the dark saber at this point.   There's an honor code for everything else, why not that?  Is it me or is it weird Bo Katan just sits in the throne room all day doing nothing?

1 hour ago, Zathras said:

This was definitely a meh episode.  Despite that, cool confirmation that the droid is R5-D4.  Mando was rescued twice in this episode by Bo Katan.  I think he owes her the dark saber at this point.   There's an honor code for everything else, why not that?  Is it me or is it weird Bo Katan just sits in the throne room all day doing nothing?

I saw a hilarious Tik Tok of this cosplay girl making fun of this. She makes for a good Bo and the clip starts with her laying in bed talking on the phone with her mom-- then you hear the sound of Mando's ship, and she jumps up, then runs around saying "Shit shit shit shit--" as she gets on her boots and rushes to the throne to pose in time for him to enter.

I quite liked episode 2! Big improvement. There was an explanation of the side quest in ep 1 - even if it was still a little extravagant to go for a blown up droid, over another! But just sowing the seeds of IG11 coming back no doubt.

And good to see Bo-Katan seeming like she might have more of a purpose now - agree that those scenes on the throne were bizarrely funny!

As per other posts, I’m in total agreement that the bits from Boba’s series should have been held to here. But it is what it is. Looking forward to ep 3!

This was much more fun. Like was just said that thing that took Mando prisoner was pretty cool. Although Ill admit that I kinda liked the idea of Bo Katan being right about all the Mandalorian folk lore stuff being nonsense and was a little disappointed when they saw that monster under water. 

I enjoyed todays Mando - squeezed that in before work started.
Great to see life in the new republic, and the Doctor is an interesting character. Be good to see where they take this.  
Each time we go to Coruscant I find myself thinking “now which timeframe are we in on this show?” Ha ha! Very different to the recent Andor!

Mando elements also good - nice battle (although it felt like it was there to keep people happy that there was some action in the episode), and Bo-Katan developing well also.  I am liking her character and am pleased with her taking a prominent role.
That Paz Visla fella is defo one to watch out for - he’s got some issues for sure!

I don’t love the fact that The Watch are zealots and our two hero Mandos are all in… but you know, voice over is a way to keep them hired for cheap long term.

This episode was better, still no sign of a larger story. I also feel like this one was written after Favreau had been show episodes of Andor.

I feel like the moral ambiguities of the Empire and WW2 comparisons were better suited to Andor, this episode felt very cheap/cartoonish as a result. But the opening/ending of the episode were nice and the idea for the episode were fun, but the two actors just weren’t able to sell it. 

In a way I liked this episode. I think the failures of the Galaxy in the wake of the Empire is a worthy story to tell. However if they want to tell that story they should probably actually tell it rather than slip it into the middle of Mando. Its just weird. Kinda like having 2 Mando episodes in the middle of Boba Fett.

Also as someone pointed out earlier the action often just feels so forced in this show. ,A bunch of TIES attack and its like "who are they"?" "oh I pissed off a bunch of warlords". Like in the first episode the pirate attack just seemed tacked on rather than stemming from the actual plot. Now Im guessing those pirates show up again and that maybe we find out exactly who sent the TIES but in the moment it just feels like "who are these guys" "oh just bad guys". If they had set it up as some kind of mystery and Mando and Bo were like "we have to find out who attacked us" that could work. But they dont, its just like some rando bad guys attacked and they just got away and gave it no thought. ,

On 3/16/2023 at 4:47 AM, Tank said:

I don’t love the fact that The Watch are zealots and our two hero Mandos are all in… but you know, voice over is a way to keep them hired for cheap long term.

This episode was better, still no sign of a larger story. I also feel like this one was written after Favreau had been show episodes of Andor.

I get the impression that they aren't really zealots. That it was just Bo Katans impression of them cause they don't remove their helmets, but that Bo had strayed from the way of Mandalore anyway so her understanding was skewed OR that Mandalorians are inherently zealous so to be a Mandalorian is to be a zealot anyway. 

Well if you remember from TCW, Mandalore had at the time of the PT was a peace-loving pacifist society.  This was after thousands of years of Mandalore being a warlike, honor-bound society.  I think the Watch is just the remnants of the warlike era.  Maybe that is why Bo-Katan sees them as zealots?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.