So what did you get for Christmas?

Hobbes

1 hour ago, RUAJedi2 said:

A mortar and pestle made of Mount Airy, NC granite.

Oh that is nice. Any pretty patterns in the granite? Colors or no?

4 minutes ago, Darth Krawlie said:

One of those dna tester things is probably my favorite 

23andme or Ancestry? I'm that annoying person that popped up on people's branches and got cousin Roger in trouble. 

My husband and I bought our own gifts this year. He got himself a PS5, and I got myself a bike that dropped to half price on Cyber Monday. My husband thinks my bike is ridiculous, but I'm too damn old for a mountain bike and I've never liked road bikes. Let's face it, my old lady butt is looking for comfort.

We also got our son a bike that might be easier to ride. It's closer to a big wheel than a bike, but he really needs the extra stability and he's outgrowing bikes that have training wheels. Our daughter got a remote control car that goes up to 30 mph, so hopefully we have good insurance for property damage.

20221225_151910.jpg

20221225_151728.jpg

If I am bicycling it's going to be for fun so I think that bike you got yourself is HAWT!

My nephews know me as the crazy cat lady so each year they pick out something for me for my gift. This year I got a Giant stressball cat. It's huge. I will try and get a pic uploaded later. 

On 12/25/2022 at 10:14 AM, Destiny Skywalker said:

Cousin Roger got some rando 18 yo knocked up while he was married. More like a Wisconsin situation. Hence me.

I think I have a My Heritage account too, but its because I uploaded one of my kits to someone who got bought out by them.

I knew you were adopted but I didn't think it was within the family.  How does that work with cousin roger?

On 12/25/2022 at 2:18 PM, Chalcedony said:

Got a card with a $50 bill in it from my landlord, and a couple of gift cards from my boss. Other than that, I didn't get anything, not even cards. I didn't send out any cards, though, either. Not really in much of a festive mood this Christmas.

I get it--if it wasn't for the kids I wouldn't hear from anyone. 

On 12/25/2022 at 4:30 PM, Destiny Skywalker said:

My husband and I bought our own gifts this year. He got himself a PS5, and I got myself a bike that dropped to half price on Cyber Monday. My husband thinks my bike is ridiculous, but I'm too damn old for a mountain bike and I've never liked road bikes. Let's face it, my old lady butt is looking for comfort.

As a birthday present to myself a year ago, I bought a comfort moutain ebike--Aventon Aventure.  It hauls.  I love it. 

My MIL asked what I wanted and I asked for a wetvac (how lame is that) or a walmart gift card to put towards it because it is expensive.   I spend a lot of time time sweeping and mopping and this thing would make my life so much easier.  She didn't like that idea so I got this portable pickleball court (I don't play picketball and since I live on a mountain I have no where to put it--so I am donating it to the school), a alarm clock phone charger which I don't need, and a waffle machine (I already have two).  All of this cost more than the wet vac I wanted.  I don't want to sound ungracious, but if she doesn't like what you want she buys whatever she thinks you should want.

Anyhow--I am excited about my new insulated vest I got from my wife. 

We have a kind of running joke around here where I'm always bragging about "winning" at puzzles. My sister and oldest kiddo are consistently insistent that "one does NOT 'win' at puzzles because puzzles are non-competitive". Anyway, I always win at puzzles. So my sister found this game that actually includes 4 jigsaw puzzles and various ways to make them competitive. That's awesome. 

My husband had his good friend who runs a Sephora put together a gift basket for me of various beauty care products - mostly face masks, lotions, body scrubs, and the like. So I got that, and I'm very much looking forward to using some of it. 

I got cash from my mom, but we (my sister, BIL, brother, husband, and I) had to play a game for it because my mom wanted some way to amuse herself. There was about $750 hidden in 25 different cups. We took turns picking cups and pocketing the cash. I got $90 and Trevor got $162. I think we're going to buy a new bedroom TV with it. My sister and brother-in-law somehow got like $320 between the 2 of them, so they hit up a Barnes & Noble 50% off board games sale yesterday and significantly added to their already enormous board game collection. That's awesome because we're often invited for game night. 

5 hours ago, Cerina said:

We have a kind of running joke around here where I'm always bragging about "winning" at puzzles. My sister and oldest kiddo are consistently insistent that "one does NOT 'win' at puzzles because puzzles are non-competitive". Anyway, I always win at puzzles. So my sister found this game that actually includes 4 jigsaw puzzles and various ways to make them competitive. That's awesome. 

My husband had his good friend who runs a Sephora put together a gift basket for me of various beauty care products - mostly face masks, lotions, body scrubs, and the like. So I got that, and I'm very much looking forward to using some of it. 

I got cash from my mom, but we (my sister, BIL, brother, husband, and I) had to play a game for it because my mom wanted some way to amuse herself. There was about $750 hidden in 25 different cups. We took turns picking cups and pocketing the cash. I got $90 and Trevor got $162. I think we're going to buy a new bedroom TV with it. My sister and brother-in-law somehow got like $320 between the 2 of them, so they hit up a Barnes & Noble 50% off board games sale yesterday and significantly added to their already enormous board game collection. That's awesome because we're often invited for game night. 

I love this!   Has anyone ever won like an overwhelming amount of the pot? 

Do you guys make a lot of returns? I feel like an ass but I feel like people aren't very good at buying me gifts, and I have an Amazon Wishlist. My MIL got me snow boots off of my wishlist, but I had 2 pairs because I forgot to take one off, and she got me the pair I really didn't want as much. Then my stepmother-in-law got me a wool poncho and matching bucket hat. I mean I guess it's nice but am I ever going to wear it? It just feels like a waste to have things I will never wear in my closet. So I'm really considering taking it back to Macy's since she left the tags on it.

My dad is actually kind of hilarious how bad he is at giving gifts. He picks things off of my Wishlist but then sometimes I have to say no dad. Like this year he was like oh I am going to get you the running belt you want and the Princess Peach costume. Dad, the costume is for Halloween next year, do not buy me a freaking Halloween costume for Christmas even if it is on my list. 

7 hours ago, Hobbes said:

I knew you were adopted but I didn't think it was within the family.  How does that work with cousin roger?

My MIL asked what I wanted and I asked for a wetvac (how lame is that) or a walmart gift card to put towards it because it is expensive.   I spend a lot of time time sweeping and mopping and this thing would make my life so much easier.  She didn't like that idea so I got this portable pickleball court (I don't play picketball and since I live on a mountain I have no where to put it--so I am donating it to the school), a alarm clock phone charger which I don't need, and a waffle machine (I already have two).  All of this cost more than the wet vac I wanted.  I don't want to sound ungracious, but if she doesn't like what you want she buys whatever she thinks you should want.

Oh it's not within the family. I was just making the joke about cousin Roger because the closest hits I get are like 1st cousins 1x removed. So obviously people are asking who the heck I am. And I'm not getting concrete hits but I figured it out doing a lot of tracing way back through his mom's lines and stuff like that. I had to basically do process of elimination for about 10 different men who were the right age. And he denies it to high heaven. So either he was drunk and doesn't remember, or he is really worried his ex wife will find out.

Your MIL is like my MIL, except my MIL is cheap. She hates the stuff I put on Q's Wishlist. It's not girly enough for her. So she will buy Q this hideous old lady outfits that she refuses to wear and I end up returning. She wants a mini me, but her mini me is about 60 years younger and likes sweatpants and hoodies, not flowery pants and tunics.

We have a few returns to make, less than in previous years, and it’s partially because certain family members (particularly my parents) finally actually bought things off the Amazon wishlist. They ask every Christmas and birthday what the kids want, and it’s a constant refrain of LOOK AT THEIR WISHLISTS and it’s a surprise every time. I’d blame my moms dementia but my dad should know better by now. I’m a big proponent of getting people things they want instead of things you think you should give them. Probably because since I became an adult, no one who buys gifts for me does this for me.

11 hours ago, Hobbes said:

I love this!   Has anyone ever won like an overwhelming amount of the pot? 

This is the first time we've done this game. We haven't done games in years. She used to buy a stack of the latest DVD/Blu-Ray releases every year and make us play a White Elephant sorta game for it. This year's money thing was kinda funny. My BIL and sister got the most money, and yet my BIL's salary is over 3 times as much as mine. Trevor starts a new full time job next week, and we got the 3rd and 4th largest pots. My unemployed brother only wound up with like $70. But he also lives with my mom and grandparents rent-free so there's that. 

This was the first year I've been able to convince my parents and grandparents to buy things off of the kids' Amazon wishlists! They've had them for about 6 years now, but not once has anyone ever used them besides me. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.