Are you ready for for our STORMAGEDON for Christmas?

Ms. Spam

We'd love it. I think the kids would benefit from a 2 or 3 week break every quarter instead of the long break over summer. I hate being pigeonholed into only taking vacation in the summer, especially since that's when Seattle is beautiful and it sucks the rest of the year.

E in particular really gets messed up because of summer break. That's just too long for him to be out of the routine.

On 12/29/2022 at 2:07 PM, Destiny Skywalker said:

We'd love it. I think the kids would benefit from a 2 or 3 week break every quarter instead of the long break over summer. I hate being pigeonholed into only taking vacation in the summer, especially since that's when Seattle is beautiful and it sucks the rest of the year.

E in particular really gets messed up because of summer break. That's just too long for him to be out of the routine.

I would love to go to a similar model.  But a lot of the reason schools have tried to do this schedule but fail is due to a lack of childcare during these breaks and families have to find a school with a traditional summers off schedule. 

Most places want the consistency of seasonal help. I get it, it's easier to hire someone for 3 months rather than a la carte. Admittedly, we'd use our vacation days for these breaks, but then I could probably also work from home for some of it. My bosses tend to understand oh you have to work from home for a day because school is out, cool. But getting them to agree to all summer is tough. We are thinking about asking our bosses if we can go 3/2 hybrid schedule for the summer. I'm just not confident E will do well in summer camps, largely because the staff is usually minimally trained and just there to collect a paycheck with the minimum effort. Or maybe we could do 1 day a week childcare at one of the camps I mention below.

Out here, there are a few places that offer school day off camps, and then they also offer summer camp a week at a time (some are even a day at a time). Places like that could probably accomodate that model. Traditional East Coast outdoor summer camps would not do well in that model.

32 minutes ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

Most places want the consistency of seasonal help. I get it, it's easier to hire someone for 3 months rather than a la carte. Admittedly, we'd use our vacation days for these breaks, but then I could probably also work from home for some of it. My bosses tend to understand oh you have to work from home for a day because school is out, cool. But getting them to agree to all summer is tough. We are thinking about asking our bosses if we can go 3/2 hybrid schedule for the summer. I'm just not confident E will do well in summer camps, largely because the staff is usually minimally trained and just there to collect a paycheck with the minimum effort. Or maybe we could do 1 day a week childcare at one of the camps I mention below.

Out here, there are a few places that offer school day off camps, and then they also offer summer camp a week at a time (some are even a day at a time). Places like that could probably accomodate that model. Traditional East Coast outdoor summer camps would not do well in that model.

Child care in the summer is sparse here too.  I want to offer a summer camp at my school this summer.  I hate my school just sitting there for two months not collecting revenue.  My challenge is exactly as you stated.  It is unlikely my teachers will sign up to work it so I will be reliant on much less qualified staff.

Is there anyway you could rent the space to a company? Like Steve and Kate's Camp? I think they are associated with Bright Horizons. Then they are responsible for finding the adults and you just rent the space to them. They rented from the local school district this summer. We didn't use them because we have a permanent stop payment on Bright Horizons on our bank account from some shady shit when we pulled E from the daycare, and they suddenly pulled money they refunded to us. Which really sucks, because they are our company's backup care program administrators.

I really like YMCA day camps in the summer. I learned to swim and work on computers when my grandma would sign us up for those summer camps. 
Honestly our school offers summer programs and a lot of teachers sign up for extra pay. There’s a gamer camp that teaches coding. A reading camp where kids read and discuss books and work on writing skills. They run about a month and meet at a specific school. 
My favorite camps growing up were with my best friend. She did one where the finale was to put on a talent show and play. 

13 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

Is there anyway you could rent the space to a company? Like Steve and Kate's Camp? I think they are associated with Bright Horizons. Then they are responsible for finding the adults and you just rent the space to them. They rented from the local school district this summer. We didn't use them because we have a permanent stop payment on Bright Horizons on our bank account from some shady shit when we pulled E from the daycare, and they suddenly pulled money they refunded to us. Which really sucks, because they are our company's backup care program administrators.

I did last summer and it ended up costing me money.  Long story. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.