I am pretty sure I just fell for a scam that old people fall for--please mock me

Hobbes

I really wanted a pair of shoes for months and on release day they sold out within seconds.  For the last month I have been scanning the internet for a pair that wasn't double retail (retail was $170).  Last night I couldn't sleep despite taking sleeping pills and having a drink or three.  At like 3AM I decide to look at my google machine to see if there are any auctions with a reasonable price.  In the Google shopping window I see the shoes for $215 (actually 170 pounds).  Without any hesitation--I buy the shoes.

Here is the website

Immediately after placing my order I look over the website which looks sketch as hell--from selling only Christmas trees on the main page, description of said Christmas trees describing shoes, being the only retailer having multiple sizes in the show, the address of the company being a shady ass looking apartment, etc.  I did receive a confirmation email, order number, and you can track the order online, but I am assuming that is just so people don't realize what they did and contest the charges right away.  Which I would do, but I used my BitCoin account to pay for them--and I have been losing money from that account non-stop; in my head I am just trying to frame it as another bad day for BitCoin. 

So, on a scale of 1-you are a complete idiot...how likely am I to actually get these shoes?

THT Edit: For the record--this is the only place I will ever confess this.  I will take this with me to my grave. 

Oh no! This happened to me too. I know exactly how to help! I can get you all your money back plus the shoes themselves. It’s very simple. All you need to do is send me twenty thousand dollars, cash, by direct courier. Mortgage the house, sell a kidney, whatever, don’t worry, you’ll get every penny back + interest. The important thing is you have to do this immediately. You can’t wait. Or else!

We bought a car seat using Google shopping and it turned out to be a scam. They delivered a letter to a neighbor or something (it was less than 1 lbs so clearly not a car seat) so that a UPS tracking number was generated and delivered. When I called UPS they said your address is not listed and we can't tell you whose is.

Moral of the story is Google shopping is full of scams. Report them ASAP. Contact the fraud department at your credit card company as well. You probably won't have to pay, but start documenting.

On 11/30/2022 at 8:33 PM, Destiny Skywalker said:

We bought a car seat using Google shopping and it turned out to be a scam. They delivered a letter to a neighbor or something (it was less than 1 lbs so clearly not a car seat) so that a UPS tracking number was generated and delivered. When I called UPS they said your address is not listed and we can't tell you whose is.

Moral of the story is Google shopping is full of scams. Report them ASAP. Contact the fraud department at your credit card company as well. You probably won't have to pay, but start documenting.

Is this you?

As a person who takes those calls at a bank in the south to cancel debit cards I have to say not only do old people fall for those scams so do young people. Please text to unlock your card it is blocked. They then give out all their details to the text including the account number which was supposedly blocked and the people scamming them should have. THEN ARE SHOCKED AND ANGRY that their money is suddenly gone. 

Also in this day and age you have to check your virtual account every day because nothing is safe from scammers. Credit cards, checks, debit cards online wallets. It's all going to have a scam for it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I almost fell for one today. "Comcast" called about my modem but then they asked me to go to my computer and type in the windows key + R, I was like, call me later.

I called Comcast and they assured me they never call out about modem trouble. I assumed that was the end of it but the scammer actually called me back!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.