Diets suck

This is totally my own fault for going in a diet in the first place, but I am on day 2 and already dying (as usual). I want to try carb cycling because I know something like keto is completely unsustainable for me. However, I'm struggling to find an app that does this properly, not to mention the amount of protein this pushes has me worried that I will never poop again.

I've already had 102g of protein for the day and I'm starving. I'm supposed to have 100g of carbs and I'm 50g short, but there's 50g more of protein planned for today, but only 600 more calories. Right now there is a metric shit ton of Mac and cheese and pumpkin pie in my fridge. I know what I would rather have than a half pound of freaking salmon.

I  never go on diets because I hate the idea of managing what I eat. But I also don't eat as much as I should, so I'm pretty thin, anyway. And couple that with my high activity level and I've even passed out a few times in my life because of not eating enough, that was fun. I just like to eat when I feel like it, which can sometimes be a while. There have been days I'll realize it's been 8 hours or so without eating anything as I just didn't think about it.

Oh man, Tina was hungry all the time on protein diets. And she had definite poop issues. 

I can't remember if my FitBit app does what you need. I have to check it out. I don't really log that stuff in it. I do log my drinks of water. Since school started I've dropped 24 ounces. I drank more when Tina was here. 

This summer I did really well.  I am usually around 205-210 but I started to drift last spring up to 220.  I bought an app, Fastic, to help with intermittent fasting.  Every morning I would wake up, get the kids to school, then ride my ebike to the gym everyday--spend 2 hours lifting, then ride to work and dick around for a few hours.  I dropped to 195 in like 6 weeks.  I was feeling great. 

School is back in session, I fall off the wagon, and boom--back to 210. 

IF works really well for me--I actually like it.  My problem is that at work, there is ALWAYS food around me.  I have really cut back on drinking at night, but somehow I have put on weight since.  Ugh. 

Last night I started feeling nauseous. I knew I didn't eat enough calories but I was sick of protein. So I had a tiny slice of pumpkin pie and felt better. I can't seem to avoid carbs. I'm hovering around 86g a day and somehow with this carb cycling I'm supposed to have some days as low as 50g. At this point I would even take a salad BUT CARBS. I hate this shit. This can't be healthy.

One thing I did learn is that I need to do HIIT workouts again. Orangetheory totally worked for me but the schedule stopped working. I've been doing the slow running that keeps your HR down because that's what all the running coaches say to do, but I've gained 10 lbs instead of losing anything. So eff that, I was faster and skinnier doing intervals 3x a week.

21 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

Last night I started feeling nauseous. I knew I didn't eat enough calories but I was sick of protein. So I had a tiny slice of pumpkin pie and felt better. I can't seem to avoid carbs. I'm hovering around 86g a day and somehow with this carb cycling I'm supposed to have some days as low as 50g. At this point I would even take a salad BUT CARBS. I hate this shit. This can't be healthy.

One thing I did learn is that I need to do HIIT workouts again. Orangetheory totally worked for me but the schedule stopped working. I've been doing the slow running that keeps your HR down because that's what all the running coaches say to do, but I've gained 10 lbs instead of losing anything. So eff that, I was faster and skinnier doing intervals 3x a week.

I am not a huge fan of the rec center near me--but I love their indoor track for doing HIIT.  I did like 30 min of HIIT everyday this summer and loved it. 

Have you tried IF?  I have the same challenges as you--I hate having to not eat something.  I do much better if I know I can have whatever...I just have to wait.  The app gives me a sense of accomplishment when I hit it.  Honestly, I didn't even try to keep IF when I came back to school.  I just figured it was a lost cause.  I kinda want to get back on the wagon.  You don't have to do it everyday either...

I think the biggest obstacle to IF for me is my kid's sports/activity schedule and my need for morning coffee. Some nights we don't eat dinner until 7 or 7:30 when Q gets home from practice, because we have to leave the house at 5 and its impossible to get us all fed before then. Then I wake up and eat a quick breakfast and have coffee. Since I often eat dinner so late, I would have to wait until 11 AM or so to have coffee (because I can't drink it black) and caffeine works like a charm for lifting my morning brain fog. I probably need to figure out my IF type. But I don't think I can jam it in to 8 hours.

I'm starting to suspect I'm hypoglycemic or will be eventually. My fasting diabetes testing is always ridiculous. My non-fasting looks like someone who was fasting. Maybe I just have an overactive pancreas.

I had bariatric sleeve surgery done August 10th, and I’m down almost 90lbs since surgery. I’ve also completely changed my diet. My #1 priority is protein. I focus on getting at least 80 grams a day. I usually get a head start by drinking a premier protein shake which is 30 grams of protein. I’ve never done well with breakfast in the mornings, so a simple protein shake in the morning is best for me. I have a lot of prepped snacks/food ready to go as well. Hard boiled eggs, sliced cheeses, sliced deli meats, Greek yogurt, starkist tuna packets, chicken breasts, etc. I stay away from heavy carbs such as pasta and bread.

Getting full before surgery and getting full after surgery is very different. Before, I would still eat after I was full. Now, when I start to get full, that’s my sign that I need to put down the food. Otherwise I get incredibly uncomfortable and if I’m not careful, will throw up whatever I over ate.

I hear you on coffee.  I am sure it isn't best practice, but I had creamer in the morning or if I was going to the gym, I had 0 calorie pre-workout.  They also have creamer for IF--but I have never tried it.  I think as long as you keep it below like 50 calories you are okay--it doesn't break the fast just slows it down.  My weakness is late night snacking so my 16:8 eating time was around 3-11PM so I still got chips and salsa at night.  I might buy the recommended coffee creamer and report out--I think once I get over the flu I will try to get mack to it.

I am not too familiar with hypoglycemia--I know what it is--but how does that affect you?

27 minutes ago, David said:

I had bariatric sleeve surgery done August 10th, and I’m down almost 90lbs since surgery. I’ve also completely changed my diet. My #1 priority is protein. I focus on getting at least 80 grams a day. I usually get a head start by drinking a premier protein shake which is 30 grams of protein. I’ve never done well with breakfast in the mornings, so a simple protein shake in the morning is best for me. I have a lot of prepped snacks/food ready to go as well. Hard boiled eggs, sliced cheeses, sliced deli meats, Greek yogurt, starkist tuna packets, chicken breasts, etc. I stay away from heavy carbs such as pasta and bread.

Getting full before surgery and getting full after surgery is very different. Before, I would still eat after I was full. Now, when I start to get full, that’s my sign that I need to put down the food. Otherwise I get incredibly uncomfortable and if I’m not careful, will throw up whatever I over ate.

That's awesome!

Hypoglycemia is low blood sugar. I've never ever seen high blood sugar readings otherwise I would be worried it's diabetes. Maybe my pancreas just works overtime?

Dr Google just told me heavy cream won't break my fast. I usually drink half and half, which is half cream and half milk. Hmmm. I could probably take the calorie hit.

I'm trying to to stay low carb today because we have a wine club party tomorrow. I do like a lot of the recipes I've discovered, admittedly. And I've used my instant pot a lot. But I'm not sure I've lost any weight this first week. I'm admittedly weird and do better on diets if I hit the gym really hard, which is not what they recommend (can't outrun a bad diet, etc). I'm not there yet, I haven't quite gotten into the gym swing because my husband has been sick and the kids had a bunch of snow days.

• 3 weeks later...

I am back on the fasting after hitting 213 and my ski pants barely being able to buckle.  I started back on the Fastic app, which really worked for me.  Day 1 and 2 back on it was a success!

Is anyone interested in a nightly group app competition of some sort---vertical feet skied?  weight loss?   steps per day? 

I might be up for steps. Do you have a Garmin, by any chance? It tracks that automatically and you can view your friends if they make that available. 

I'm finally down 5 lbs. I've had a few girls nights out where I've had some wine and a nice dinner with my family but I've managed to compensate by doing lower carbs on those days, and it turns out a glass of wine is only 3 carbs (but 125 calories, so that's more what I need to worry about). I do plan on being a little more lax over the holidays. My dad will be here and he likes his wine and Christmas cookies and angel food birthday cake. But you try to keep it to 1 cookie a day and a glass of wine or two.

48 minutes ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

I might be up for steps. Do you have a Garmin, by any chance? It tracks that automatically and you can view your friends if they make that available. 

I'm finally down 5 lbs. I've had a few girls nights out where I've had some wine and a nice dinner with my family but I've managed to compensate by doing lower carbs on those days, and it turns out a glass of wine is only 3 carbs (but 125 calories, so that's more what I need to worry about). I do plan on being a little more lax over the holidays. My dad will be here and he likes his wine and Christmas cookies and angel food birthday cake. But you try to keep it to 1 cookie a day and a glass of wine or two.

I can't do one cookie.  Props for you to the willpower.  The nice thing about fasting is I don't have to drink as much as night.  I had gin and orange juice last night and was buzzed after one and a half drinks. 

I don't have a Garmin but I was thinking about that or a FitBit or a Garmin.  Do you have a recommendation?  I would like one that tracks when you are  hiking.  I would LOVE LOVE LOVE one that tracks skiing/elevation.  I thought about an Apple Watch, but call me getting old, but I hate being too connected.  I like being able to put my phone away so getting text on the watch is not an issue. 

8 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

I think Garmin is better for sports users in general, and they have a lot of affordable options now. I believe it should track things like elevation change, it does for my runs.

Platform agnostic with automatic sync is a good idea. I'm in.

Look up walker tracker—do you have a preference?  I think I like Walker tracker  more based on what I’ve read.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I forgot I never replied. Walker Tracker also looked good. Really I just want something that auto-syncs. Keeps people honest and I don't have to remember to enter it somewhere.

Anyone doing Dry January? I partied a little too hard with whiskey and champagne on Wednesday, but my birthday is in January so it's basically always a no-go because I probably want a steak and wine on my birthday. Also I'm going to Luxembourg the week before, and I'm hoping I get a chance to try some local wine with dinner. But otherwise I'm not drinking much because of this stupid diet.

I'm up 3 lbs since the holidays. Sigh. I tried, somewhat. But I also enjoyed myself. Time to get back to the routine (which is honestly easier when I'm working because I like the meal planning that it forces me to do).

On 60 Minutes last night they had a couple of doctors stating that fat genes are 60% why we're obese and that there's a set point for fat storage that our bodies want to be set at. So apparently my body wants to store a larger amount of fat. There is a super expensive drug you can take that helps kinda trick your body to store less fat and change it's baseline. But honestly if 96% of the Biggest Loser's gained all the weight back and they ate like 500 calories and exercised 10 hours a day to get that loss I just give up. I like calories more. But knee replacement surgery looms in my future if I keep up at my weight.  

OOOOO it syncs with Fitbit. I've been using Fitbit and Pokemon Go for fitness. My school insurance company offers a discount on my premiums for health insurance if I use my Fitbit. They would pay for the Fitbit but I actually won three of them at my second job over the years. HA!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.