Wednesday (Netflix)

CoLA

I must have liked this as I watched it over 3 days! I usually don't binge series that quick unless I'm worried about spoilers like Stranger Things. This had a very Harry Potter vibe to it with the school for supernatural creatures and magic and I'm always down for that stuff. Jenna Ortega is great as the title character and it even has the previous Wednesday, Christina Ricci as one of the instructors.

I wanted to love it, but hated it. The whole reason the Addams Family is fun is because you take a weirdo macabre family and put them into context with normal people. That’s where the funny is.

How am I supposed to buy that a school of teen monsters that Wednesday is an outcast weirdo? The dance freaks out cause they have blood dumped on them but literally a third of them are vampires. When everyone is weird, no one is weird.

I just don’t buy any of it. And even though I am a horror guy and a gore fan, I don’t like taking something meant for all ages and making it overly gritty and horror-y, especially if it isn’t scary.

At the end of the day, Wednesday was always a minor character in the ensemble. It wasn’t until Christina Riccci’s version that we got the deadpan one-liner Wednesday that redefined the part.

Honestly, I’d have preferred her returning to the role as an adult Wednesday to maybe teach at this school or something.

Yeah, I can see that. That's part of what made the movies entertaining, seeing them mingle with the normal crowd. And LOL at that blood part, I had the same thought about the vampires. I guess this series was only focused on the neatnik type vamps who don't like to get their clothes bloody. Not sure why they had the whole supernatural school thing, really, the characters seemed normal otherwise except for the rare occasions they would show off an ability.

They don't really address much that the world has real vampires, werewolves and a bunch of other mythical creatures just going on about their lives with normal people. Like, if a werewolf goes to a regular public school, is it generally known to everyone or do they hide it? Then again, in real life Wednesday wouldn't have just gotten relocated to another school after mutilating someone, so it's not meant to be realistic in any sense. :P

We really enjoyed this show. It's like Addams Family fan fiction for people who like Harry Potter and The Vampire Diaries. It's just one of those shows that you can't devote too much thought to because it will hurt your brain and the questions and holes won't stop (just like everything Tank said). You have to enjoy it for what it is in isolation and nothing more. 

That said, I felt like the parts with the rest of the Addamses and the love "triangle" were really shoehorned in. It was so forced that it really pulled me out of the narrative and reminded me of everything that the show was not. 

On the other hand though, I LOVED Enid and the actor who played her. She could have been so one-dimensional and tropey, but the actor made her just loveable. She was honestly like a puppy. 

And despite what the internet thinks, I caught no lesbian vibes from the Wednesday-Enid relationship. 

1 hour ago, Darth Krawlie said:

The internet thinks any same sex friendship with decent chemistry in a show or a movie automatically makes them gay

5 minutes into Willow I was thinking "oh boy is the internet going to LOVE these two!", but then...yeah. 

I never pick up on the lesbian vibes. My gaydar is broken. I think my thing is that I just appreciate Girl Power at face value and don't think much else about it. But I admittedly thought the love triangle was lame and didn't see how any of those 3 would be into each other.

I liked the show. I'm not much of a horror fan, though. Not that Addams Family has ever been hardcore horror, more campy. I liked Uncle Fester's characterization much more than I usually do.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.