Wakanda Forever

Ms. Spam

• 2 months later...

Finally saw this— it wasn’t aggressively awful like Eternals but I was bored to tears. Not sure how I feel about them trading the movie’s heart on the actual death of Chadwick Boseman. Granted it had to be addressed, and I’m sure everyone involved had true grief for the guy, but it felt like a cheat to me.

I don’t think Leticia Wright was the right choice to center the movie on. She just wasn’t compelling and I don’t think she was a good enough actor to really give us what they wanted. I’ve wanted Angela Basset to be Storm for half my life so making her Black Panther would have been great. They used her to put over Wright, when they should have let her carry the whole thing.

Or for that matter, Okoye would have been better. She at least had the passion.

Namor was wasted and anticlimactic. I kept waiting for the bigger turn— we think it’s about Vibranium when really it’s about colonialism and multiculturalism… but no, it was really about vibranium and planning for war as opposed to showing us a war.

I know it had to basically be scrapped after Boseman died, and Leticia Wright was a problem on set— I just can’t help but think they should have let this one go and not make it until they could build up to a new Black Panther like they did the first one with Civil War.

THAT said, this is all very keeping with whatever Marvel phase this is.

I agree, I felt mostly let down with this movie. I didn't hate it but Shuri is not leading character material. Maybe a different actress could pull it off (like Bassett!) but definitely not Wright. I do feel like Okoye would have been a good choice, too, and thought it might be heading that way when she was demoted. Namor seemed less hotheaded than he is in the comics but he was okay. Power-wise he was portrayed accurately, I think. And he acknowledges he is a mutant! I'm feeling more and more that mutants are going to be revealed to have always been around but have stayed secretive for the most part.

Don't know where they will go for the next one, hopefully Shuri Panther becomes a stronger character by then but I'm doubtful. Recasting would have been the better choice for this movie.

I thought Namor was great but otherwise I agree. Riri was pretty neat too, but I can easily move on from Iron Man legacy characters.

This phase is over, which is a good thing. I think with Ant-Man introducing Kang as the next big bad, things are gonna start coming together again. I'm still not a big multiverse story fan though. I'm worried Kang Dynasty and Secret Wars are gonna turn into cameo fests.

• 6 months later...

I just got around to watching the movie while I’ve been laid up in the hospital.  It was such a slog to get through and was way too long.  I liked Namor and Bassett was fantastic.  Riri was even alright.  It sucks that the movie had to start over from scratch since they didn’t want to recast T’Challa.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.