The PT as prestige TV

The Choc

Okay I recently watched and made a post about Tales of Jedi, specifically the episodes focused on Dooku. I really enjoyed it and thought how cool it woulda been to have some of this in the actual PT to flesh out the character. Then I thought with how much alot of people like The Clone Wars and even the early rebellion stuff of Andor that the story of the PT coulda been great as a long, multi season TV series. I mean the whole "taxation of trade routes" thing seems boring when put into the scroll but actually in a way could have been strangely compelling if like given a whole season. 

The OT and ST are fairly simple stories, well suited to being told in 6-7 hours. The PT just isn't. Hate to make it as simple as GoT in space but I mean the PT 100% could be that in alot ways. There are so many interesting facets of the PT and this is evident in like I said earlier how much people like most of the stuff thats spun off from the PT. There is so much in the PT that is either in there so vaguely or not in there at all that fans then extrapolate out that is in alot of ways really interesting. 

Obviously in the mid 90s when Lucas decided to make the PT the idea of putting it on tv would have seemed basically insane. In todays landscape, not so much. 

Most Star Wars fans, even thouse who like the PT, have probably spent time thinking about how they could have been better or what they should have been. I think though the story Lucas wanted to tell was just not really possible in a movie trilogy format and that really that story shouldn't be told in 7 hours, it should have been told in 80.

Yes, I agree to an extent. Rod for his own back in terms of us having seen Episodes 4-6, so 1-3 needed to be the big cinema release.

But in this day and age, there could have been a series or two between films to better explain Dooku’s background, the Syfo Dyas element (never clear in the films), and who Grevious was maybe, plus more besides.

The Clone Wars series did a little of nice things in there with explaining how Palp’s gets more and more control slowly but surely - taking over the banks for example.

I really liked the six part Tales of the Jedi. Totally agree that the Dooku elements were the best, but enjoyed the final part of Ahsoka’s 3 episodes.

Yeah, I mean Im not saying they should have done this in the 90s. It would never have worked and would ahve seemed "less" than a big movie trilogy. Nowadays though? You 100% could do it as a big TV show and not have it feel less important. As for the idea of them doing TV shows around the movies, well thats what has happened just spread out over alot of years. Personally I don't love that type of storytelling. Id much prefer just like a single series titled "Fall of the Republic" or whatever. 

Its pure just fantasy booking at this point just something I thought about watching Tales of the Jedi. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.