The Queen is Dead

Odine

She passed this afternoon! Crazy. Just the perfect symbolic happening to top the current state of the country and the world. She was as constant as the ground beneath our feet and now she gone. 

I cant see Charles living up to her legacy 

5 hours ago, Odine said:

I hope Charles could just pass the Torch to William. For the sake of the realm, we need some youthful energy and optimism to galvanise the people, not a crusty old fart to take the throne.

I’ve tried reading up on this and always get confused— but does the Royal family have any political power?

1 hour ago, Tank said:

I’ve tried reading up on this and always get confused— but does the Royal family have any political power?

https://www.royal.uk/role-monarchy

Monarchy is the oldest form of government in the United Kingdom.

In a monarchy, a king or queen is Head of State. The British Monarchy is known as a constitutional monarchy. This means that, while The Sovereign is Head of State, the ability to make and pass legislation resides with an elected Parliament.

Although The Sovereign no longer has a political or executive role, he or she continues to play an important part in the life of the nation.

As Head of State, The Monarch undertakes constitutional and representational duties which have developed over one thousand years of history. In addition to these State duties, The Monarch has a less formal role as 'Head of Nation'. The Sovereign acts as a focus for national identity, unity and pride; gives a sense of stability and continuity; officially recognises success and excellence; and supports the ideal of voluntary service.

In all these roles The Sovereign is supported by members of their immediate family.

I've been confused about that as well.   According to the link above, the Monarchy seems to be largely ceremonial.

9 hours ago, Tank said:

Yeah the Royals don't have any direct political power in that they can't dictate policy. The Queen still had weekly meetings with the Prime Minister and did a bunch of ceremonial duties around parliament and things but no dictatorial power. That said, I'm sure during her conversations with Prime Ministers she would state her opinions and thoughts on the way things should happen, but she couldnt be like "Do this, mine subject and make it so". People saught her advice cause she'd seen some things and done some stuff in her time, but the Royal Family (like has been said here) are more like arastocraric mascots..relics of the past. To some people they mean everything proud and British, to others they are symbols of British Imperialism and colonialism, an out of touch relic of the past that should be burned and discarded.

Personally, my views are a mix of both. On the one hand they did represent the ugly colonial past, but that was not a uniquely British trait. It was just the way of the past- the French were colonizers, as the Dutch, Spanish, Germans ,Turks were. The world was just a horrible place. (And still is in many ways, but you take my point)

And on the other hand for better or worse the Royals did bind the British people together with a shared sense of identity though their relevance has eroded significantly as the 20th century started ending and we moved into the millennium.

All I know is, Queenie has always been around and now she isn't. It's weird. But I'm not sad. 

Very sad news- yesterday was a very strange day here in the UK, and it’s continued today. Feels like the country has lost its grandma. Certainly reminds me of when mine went at the same age. All very sudden.

She has been fantastic - where else to you have someone still wanting to do their job at 96 by welcoming the new Prime Minister just a few days ago?

I know the royal family divides opinions, but I think they are great for this country and she was always spoken highly of by others. 

I hope Charles does well in what time he has left - 73 for heavens sake.  He has said he will be toning down his opinions as fits the offices since the monarch’s power diminished in restoration period when Charles II was reinstated to the throne in the mid 1600’s. His “green”  views do come at an important time in the worlds situation at the moment.

Very sad news.

11 hours ago, Tank said:

No - their powers were largely stripped away in two phases:

- firstly after Charles I was executed in 1649 and following Cromwell’s death 9 years later, with the country being in a bit of disarray, Charles II was asked to come back out of exile to the throne with reduced power;

- and secondly when George I came to the throne as a second cousin of the childless Queen Anne in 1714. During his reign, power was largely moved across to the politicians to be more or less as it is today.

Very much a ceremonial and ambassadorial role these days.

And the succession rules changed about 10-15 years ago (maybe longer? Time flies sometimes!), so that daughters born after that point would be in their proper place in the order. 
For example William has 3 kids, boy, girl, boy, and they are in that order (based solely on age) for the succession to the throne. 
Whereas Elizabeth II’s daughter Princess Anne is below her younger brothers (Andrew and Edward) still as she was born before that rule came into place.

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.