House of the Dragon

The Choc

Interesting one! Our snake in the grass has been outed by the king (via his daughter of course!), and so what will that bring for that character now?

Enjoying this show a lot - has hit the ground running. I’ve deliberately. It read the stories from this era, so anything I know is vague memories from references made in GoT itself. So it’s fascinating seeing how it’s all going. 

15 hours ago, Odine said:

Really? That felt like filler to me. I mean lots of small things happened but then nothing happened 

Thie episode was so rich with great moments and character developments. Just start with Rhaenyra. Start of the episode she is sitting there blowing off suitors. She wants to be heir and thus Queen but she isn't willing to take on the duties and responsibilities of it. Her father even has allowed her to make her own match, something very very few high born ladies would be afforded. Then her uncle shows up and takes her out drinking and fucking, or tries to the 2nd one. He tells her "marriage is just a political arrangement, we do waht we want." The Princess comments she doesnt care what the small folk think. Daemon tells her she better if she wants to rule. She takes that first lesson to heart, goes back home and does what she wants to fucks Ser Criston. She is confronted by Alicent and swears on her dead mother that what she is being accussed of is not true. She then accepts the duties of being heir by agreeing to marry Laenor but plays the game by making a deal with her dad to fire Otto.

You have poor Alicent, the shot of her lying under the King is just so sad. When she confronts Rhaenyra she is upset by also jealous perhaps? She is having to be with this old King and Rhaenyra gets to go out and party with her cool uncle? Its terribly sad when she says that Lady Alicent is gone and all that is left is the Queen. 

You can go further down the line with Daemon and the King too as far as such important moments. But even just from a purely push the plot forward perspective Rhaenyra agreeing to marry Laenor and Otto being fired are incredibly important moments. 

I mean, I agree there were plenty of plot pushing moments. Pawns being moved on the board as it were, I just didn't find it as engaging a watch as previous episodes. Those things are all important, yes, but not that entertaining to watch. Drawn out sex scenes in cinema bore me because they are always so corny, or unrealistic. Though I would say the shot of the king's back was good use of nudity. His scabby sores looking pretty serious now. Don't think he is long for the world.

The sex scenes had to be a bit long here. They are too important for Rhaenyra. She has grown up thinking she will be married off to some Lord not of her choosing and have sex with him to have babies. For her sex is not something she is looking forward to. It leads to how she saw her mom and eventually her moms death. We see this with Alicent when she is conforting Rhaenyra. For Alicent sex is just a duty, its not something she likes. She can't even understand why Rhaenyra would go to a pleasure house. Thats how Rhaenyra views sex prior to this. Then she is at this pleasure house and her uncle says that fucking can be as pleasurable for a woman as a man. She looks around and sees this. Sees women in the throes of pleasure. Its life changing. We had to see or hear all the things she does.

Same goes for the scene with Ser Criston. This is the moment for maybe the first time in her life that she is taking charge of her own life. Doing what she wants to do. The moment she truly realizes that she doesn;t have to be a prisoner who marries some guy and has sex just to pump out babies. Its no coincidence that after this she decides to marry whoever he dad says.

These scenes couldn;'t be short, we had to experience them along with Rhaenyra. 

Another great episode. The show definitely knows its groove now. Definitely kinda sad that we have to say goodbye to Milly Alcock and Emily Carey who both I feel have just been fantastic playing Rhaenyra and Alicent. What a great moment for Alicent walking into the wedding in that green. I remember once saying how "Thrones" at one point was so good it made a thrilling scene out of Davos applying for a loan in Braavos. Well this show has made a truly great scene out of Alicent simply walking towards a table. Great stuff!

This was the first time for me a time jump really affected the show. Hard to get so worked up about Harwin Strong or Laena dying when we barely know them. Having said that still a good episode and I feel the pieces are set for a really blockbuster final 4 episodes.

Not defending Alicent's actions here but I can do identify with her. She does things the right way in her eyes. Does her duty. Fucks old man Viserys who quite literally is falling apart. Then Rhaenyra is like fucking Daemon, Criston, Harwin. Having bastard kids. With zero consequences. It's like when you are sitting in traffic and some ass in an expensive sports car flies down the shoulder. There are definitely times I'd have wanted to pull a dagger on that guy. 

Sure I can see where Allicent is coming from, but she's a mug, shes always just done as commanded and was manipulated from birth by her father. Rhaenyra was born royalty and strong willed so of course can just does as she likes. That's going to happen when from birth you're told you're the blood of the dragon. Daemon was always a strong influence on guiding her sence of independence too, they're basically the dragon riding rock stars of westeros. Fuck what anyone else thinks (basically). 

But there are still consequences, everyone whispers about legitimacy of Rhaenyras kids, she's lost her friend (she was never the hostile party), she lost the true father of her kids, and she lost the loyalty of Ser Christen the simp. Yeah, she never was punished for in an official way for fathering bastards but royalty seldom are. Males father bastards left right and centre (although they probably seldom were in line for the throne).

As a parent, I can understand Allicent wanting to take an eye for an eye. As a viewer of the show, I recognise that all her kids are stuck up twats or idiots so ya know, kid deserved to lose his eye. Plus it's a fair trade for that enormous dragon!!

Oh I agree completely! Fantastic set of episodes - can’t believe it’s whizzed by so quickly.
Last nights was epic! The queens outrage at learning of the mens plot to put Aegon on the throne regardless, the hunt for him in the city, the lords being made to break their oath and bend the knee or pay the price. And that ending! 
Should be a fantastic final part!

On 10/18/2022 at 3:46 AM, Odine said:

Go on, give us your theory! Maybe in a spoiler tag for those who don't wanna speculate

It's not a theory. It's gonna happen in the show, just a matter of it's the climax to this season or the start of next.  So I don't really wanna post it cause its a flat out spoiler. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.