Songs You Use To Hear On The Radio But NO MORE!

Jedigoat

Sounds like this convo has happened here before but I've been thinking about this a lot lately.  A lot of songs on my playlists (70's, 80's, 90's) that were hit songs that got a lot of airplay when they charted but no longer get played.  Usually the artist might still get a lot of airplay but you only hear two or three of their songs even though they have upwards of 20+ charting singles over the years.  I put a lot of the blame on radio stations all being under the same national ownership.  Most were independent back in they day and had total freedom as to what they could play.  Now it's all controlled.

Anyway, what do you remember hearing a lot but no longer?  I'll post some of mine after getting some responses.

Fine, I'll go.  lol

I probably have tastes that don't align with anyone here, but anway.....One of the first bands that comes to mind is R.E.M.  After their massive success in the 90's, their radio play has died down in terms of how many of their singles get played now.  Stations here only play Man on the Moon and Losing My Religion.  Indianapolis has a rock station, an alt. station, and a college/indie station but a lot of the moderately successful bands from the 90's are gone from the airwaves.  Garbage, Hole, Live, and several others.  

I understand a station can't possibly play all of them.  That would be thousands of songs but it's odd that some songs still get airplay and others are gone.

6 hours ago, Jedigoat said:

Fine, I'll go.  lol

I probably have tastes that don't align with anyone here, but anway.....One of the first bands that comes to mind is R.E.M.  After their massive success in the 90's, their radio play has died down in terms of how many of their singles get played now.  Stations here only play Man on the Moon and Losing My Religion.  Indianapolis has a rock station, an alt. station, and a college/indie station but a lot of the moderately successful bands from the 90's are gone from the airwaves.  Garbage, Hole, Live, and several others.  

I understand a station can't possibly play all of them.  That would be thousands of songs but it's odd that some songs still get airplay and others are gone.

You have to understand how radio works to get this.

7 minutes ago, CoLA said:

That's like Def Leppard, they were huge in the 80s and now you never hear them on the radio even though they still release albums.

Classic rock stations here still play Photograph all the damn time.  And Love Bites and PSSOM.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.