intuition

Do you trust yours? Do you consider yourself an intuitive person? How the hell does intuition even work?

I've always thought of myself as intuitive--or at least, I have a trustworthy gut feeling about certain things. The strongest example I can come up with is when I went to Florida back in 2011. The whole reason for the trip was to meet with Dory Funk at his wrestling school, as I was trying to break into the business on the writer/producer side of things. Nearly everything about  meeting him and the school went exactly as I was expecting; there were a few curveballs, but nothing unsurmountable. However, the entire time, something in my brain was knocking around, saying "nope, this isn't it." In fact, it started before that, from the moment I stepped off the plane in Orlando, a day or two before the meeting. I knew somehow, just walking through the airport, that I wasn't going to be doing this, what I'd been planning for and working toward the last few years. I still went through with all my obligations with an open mind and with the intent of following through, but that voice was there. And it was right. Maybe it was because I had just met Katie like 2-3 weeks before the trip, but in such a short time, we weren't at all serious yet, and she knew even then that moving to Florida was my plan. I don't have any way to quantify it, but I knew it wasn't what I was supposed to be doing, and I think the last 11 years have proven me right.

Do you have any examples like that? Where your intuition spoke to you so clearly, and was correct? It can be positive or negative. I wanna hear about it. I've been thinking about this concept a lot lately.

I'm a super believer in it-- on the big scale, as in life choices, but also on the small scale, as in my writing process. I'm not sure where it comes from, or how even to control it, but my life has been significantly better since I tuned into it more.

I kind of think of it like a background process. Like sometimes in design work, photoshop needs to process and crunch a filter and needs a few minutes before I can do anything else. So I generally bop over to my browser to start hunting for the next element I need, or check my email, or come here, or whatever-- and photoshop is still working in the background.

I think our brains process things in the subconscious. You can get woo woo about it if you want, or maybe it's just sciencey brain shit-- but I think all the info we take in, and maybe even stuff we are unconscious of, and it processes it all. The same way you can look at a rabid dog behind a gate and know-- "Nope, I better go around" I think your brain does for all sorts of situations. Listening "to your gut" or "feeling/ not feeling" something, is your conscious mind listening to the results of whatever data crunching your unconscious has worked out.

I once read something that described intuition as "a thought process that you cannot reflect upon". To that, I think that I operate pretty instinctively damn near all the time. I process shit pretty quickly most of the time, and I can't always tell you how or why I came to the solution that I did, I just know that it's the best way forward given all of the options. Now that said, just because something is the best option hasn't always translated it into being a good ending. This has happened in my life more than I care to think about as well. 

A concern I have for me in following the gut feeling is my fight or flight instinct is tilted heavily toward flight. I run away pretty quickly from situations I don't feel comfortable in, and it's gotten me out of a lot of really bad situations many times. But, it's also screwed me over. I've started bailing on things and in the middle of it I know it's wrong, that I'm being impulsive and quitting too early, and it's cost me. This is usually on small things, nothing life altering or anything, but still--even my kids have picked up on my drama with this lol.

I guess on things I'm unsure about, even if my intuition is screaming at me to run away, sometimes I gotta stick it out a little longer to see. I dunno, I'm definitely not explaining this the way I'm thinking it very well. I blame Eli interrupting me three times during in when I told him to just give me a goddamn minute and then I'd help him.

Hmmm. I have a tendency to bail when something isn't working out. Like I am all in and will make something work until I can't anymore. The truth is life is short and I don't have time to make people happy/comfortable who make me miserable. And honestly, it worked out for me for the most part, I've usually jumped to a better situation. The couple of times it hasn't worked out for the better, it's been out of desperation and I ignored my intuition. I took a job with a guy who gave me the creepies in an interview, and he absolutely turned out to be the worst person I've ever worked for. So the next 2 times someone was a jerk in an interview, I turned down the job, because lesson learned. In one case I think it was absolutely the right call, in the other case I'm still wondering if I made the right decision but I would've been stuck with that guy for at least 3 years, and I'm not sure I could've put up with him for that long. But I always find it funny when people are rude and then shocked you don't want to put up with their shit.

Always trust the intuition. It's never done me wrong. Any situation that's come to bite me in the ass is because I've not listened to my intuition, or I have tried to convince myself with a compelling argument that in X particular situation I should listen to my brain not my gut. It seems to never work.

Now if I could get my "conscious" brain to work in union with my instincts..."then we'd be sucking diesel." (That's a good ting)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.