Does anyone have it together anymore?

Well she has a student ID number today so that's a good sign. However, my husband said, you sure the old school received her intent to disenroll? It's a Google form. So really, heck if I know. I emailed the lady who sent me the link to see if they got it because I did it Friday night. I have a feeling they did not. She has 2 days left, no one has reached out to us.

• 4 months later...

Found out tonight that my son's den leader is moving. They asked me to be assistant den leader. I said no. I just don't have the time for all the training and all the extra adult meetings. I've finally reached my limit with the volunteering. I'm happy to attend den meetings to make sure my son is focusing, I would even be glad to teach a single den meeting, but I'm done with everyone else getting to slide by while I do it all. And all the extra stuff that isn't actually working with the kids but checking boxes or listening to adults drone on about boring stuff like budgets.

• 2 weeks later...

Last week's den meeting was canceled a few hours beforehand because the assistant den leader didn't plan anything. So we worked on the Science belt loop on our own at home. Yesterday his wife asks if we are meeting today (um yes). At 3pm he says he is going to do one of the activities we just did this week. It takes 10 minutes to complete, if that. I said I can bring one of the other activities we haven't done yet. That was another 10 minutes. So I grabbed another few things and asked the guy to bring sugar because I only had the coarse grain that would take forever to dissolve. It took 40 minutes to complete those 3 things, and would've only taken 5 minutes to do the last one if I had remembered to bring oil. I could've walked these kids through an entire belt loop in 45 minutes AND it was more hands on than anything they've done other than their whittling chip. The assistant told me the den leader is only coming to pack meetings. He got his kid through rank so he is checked out. Lame. I'm finding a new pack. These guys don't plan ahead and just try to wing it and it's painful.

21 hours ago, Destiny Skywalker said:

Last week's den meeting was canceled a few hours beforehand because the assistant den leader didn't plan anything. So we worked on the Science belt loop on our own at home. Yesterday his wife asks if we are meeting today (um yes). At 3pm he says he is going to do one of the activities we just did this week. It takes 10 minutes to complete, if that. I said I can bring one of the other activities we haven't done yet. That was another 10 minutes. So I grabbed another few things and asked the guy to bring sugar because I only had the coarse grain that would take forever to dissolve. It took 40 minutes to complete those 3 things, and would've only taken 5 minutes to do the last one if I had remembered to bring oil. I could've walked these kids through an entire belt loop in 45 minutes AND it was more hands on than anything they've done other than their whittling chip. The assistant told me the den leader is only coming to pack meetings. He got his kid through rank so he is checked out. Lame. I'm finding a new pack. These guys don't plan ahead and just try to wing it and it's painful.

I feel you.  I think one of the first two things parent volunteer struggles with is the amount of planning involved in even the smallest tasks (including planning out how you are going to explain it) and estimating the amount of time an activity will actually take.  

I really try to walk through most activities myself before I do it with my Girl Scouts, especially STEM stuff. I want to see how I can possibly screw it up, how they can screw it up, but also how long it's going to take. I just did the Jeweler badge with the girls and one of steps was kind of hard and time consuming, but it came out really cool so I thought it would be worth it. They struggled and bitched up a storm. Finally I showed them the easy version and they all liked that. Sigh. Should've picked the easy version. Q was one of the few girls who persevered and hers came out nice. For the record, it's the wire caging and necklace in the picture.

Anyway, with the boys I didn't have time to do the activity beforehand so it didn't quite come out like I hoped but it wasn't well designed, either. It was layering liquids of different density but they were still too close to each other so it made more of a slight gradient than layers and eventually became homogenous. The exercise with water and oil and food coloring was a much better way to demonstrate. 

20230312_180935.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand Den Leaders who don't "plan" meetings. The Den Leader guide literally plans out every single meeting for you including opening and closing, all activities, songs, games, everything. It tells you exactly how to do everything, gives you a list of supplies needed, and even provides extras like printouts if needed. 

I am either switching him to a new pack or we are moving him to Camp Fire. I just found out there is a Camp Fire club in our neighborhood. A friend who is very involved in Scouts also told me about 2 nearby packs that might be a good fit, but I honestly can't get over how expensive national and council fees are for Cub Scouts.

I have a paper cut on my nose, am on my third iPhone SE because of temper issues where I HULK SMASH, and my ceiling has collapsed twice in a month because of a leaky fireplace that stems from a shoddy roofing job done by an underbidder that was chosen because the board in my condo complex was super cheap. OH and even though we're off for Good Friday I am still at work today doing stuff. UGH.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.