Does anyone have it together anymore?

18 hours ago, Tank said:

In LA we all drive really fast, but it’s a group decision. As long as you aren’t blocking or cutting somebody off you’re good. If you want to go faster than me, I’ll get over.

Rush hour sucks, and interchanges can be a nightmare, but we all agree on driving like ***holes together.

In Phoenix it seems like you have three different classes of speed and none of them Which lane is there’s, and there never seems to be enough lanes. And SO MANY pickup trucks.

The thing with Phoenix in particular is that Arizona is a transient state, where people move here from all over the country.  So, you have a mish-mash of all kinds of driving styles.  Plus, and I am serious, the heat here makes people angry and impatient.  So you have all kinds of aholes driving.  

9 hours ago, Odine said:

You Americans with your big wide roads and massive freeways. Try driving in the UK or any European city, it'll be nailbiting for you.

Though, I've never heard of anyone pulling a gun. That's pretty terrifying

I am sure I would be.

As for guns, Arizona is a gun toting state, where everyone has one, and some idiots will pull them while driving, or other places.   I literally wake up every morning to the local news where there is a shooting somewhere in the Phoenix metro area over night or from the day before. 

I love how the south embraces flying flags around on their trucks attached with dubious attachments. SOOOOO many have come loose and wacked cars following behind them. It is worse than work trucks kicking a rock up and cracking your window shield.

14 hours ago, Ms. Spam said:

I love how the south embraces flying flags around on their trucks attached with dubious attachments. SOOOOO many have come loose and wacked cars following behind them. It is worse than work trucks kicking a rock up and cracking your window shield.

I've always found it weird that so many people in the US have flags on their cars and homes. I mean, you're in America already, you need a reminder of that all the time?

18 hours ago, Ms. Spam said:

We have those in Phoenix, too.  I once saw a Miata with a flag.  Yes, a Mazda Miata.   

1 hour ago, CoLA said:

I've always found it weird that so many people in the US have flags on their cars and homes. I mean, you're in America already, you need a reminder of that all the time?

I can understand on holidays like 4th of July or Veterans day. Or people flying from the house.  But in AZ we have the 4x4 trucks with trump flags flying all over the place and I don't know how that is legal.  Like Spam says, they look so flimsy like they will fly off the truck any minute and hit the car behind.  

LOL perfectsim! I almost did that with a twin bed in my yaris. I came close to slamming the hatch down on the long metal sides sticking out and realized whoa whoa whoa that might break something. So I tied the hatch partly open but ended up clonking my thigh into those damn metal parts and cutting my leg.

We have a family at the school that takes in foster kids.  They took in two bc their parents beat their 6 year-old younger sibling so bad he had to be life flighted to Denver and has permanent brain damage and is in a semi-vegetative state since the incident.  They have not been found guilty so they still have some educational rights.  We are holding back one a year so we had a meeting.  Their lawyer has to come--and surprisingly she is pretty cool and realistic.  When talking about the kid (neither have ever been in school and were only allowed to read the Bible) all she talks about is how wonderful she is as a parent and it takes every ounce I have to stop her from smashing her head through the fucking window.  I don't know how I keep it together. 

The other brother we have is really smart--super brain washed though (only read the Bible).  I have that kid in the dungeons and dragons club and Pokemon competition club. 

Aww...y'all with your traffic complaints. Cute. *laughs in Houstonian*

There might just be some sort of weird alignment with the planets or something. I've made like one boneheaded mistake after another with this new job. And it's all little things, and my new boss doesn't seem to notice or mind, but I'm about ready to throw myself off of a bridge here! Like...for real. It's almost like once a week I wake up dumb and incompetent. 

5 hours ago, Ms. Spam said:

LOL perfectsim! I almost did that with a twin bed in my yaris. I came close to slamming the hatch down on the long metal sides sticking out and realized whoa whoa whoa that might break something. So I tied the hatch partly open but ended up clonking my thigh into those damn metal parts and cutting my leg.

I got rid of my Yaris a number of years ago, though I wish I kept it. They are nice little beep beeps. I traded mine in for a Prius Prime. I live close enough to work that I was able to drive on all electric for the vast majority of all of my driving. After 2 years I decided to get rid of it in favor of having a much smaller car payment. Well, my childhood dream car came up for sale and I traded it in for a 2000 BMW Z3. I drove the shit out of that little convertible, including in the winter, which is obviously very inadvisable. Eventually I sold that to a friend who took it off-roading in Idaho. Some of my friends are dumber than me. He had a hell of a time, though, and with the increase in car prices he only lost $1k when he sold it more than a year later. 

Right now I've got a Subaru Forester with nearly 200k miles. There is some sort of transmission or differential problem; I can hear the grinding. I've been ignoring it. I COULD have it fixed... but I'd rather let things play out first. It hasn't gotten worse and there is a greater chance of something rusting off first. If and when that happens I will probably just buy my dad's old truck off him. 

Quite frankly, I've become my father. I like my cars how I like my women: 25 years old and almost reliable. 

On 7/18/2022 at 11:47 PM, Odine said:

You Americans with your big wide roads and massive freeways. Try driving in the UK or any European city, it'll be nailbiting for you.

Driving in Italy is the most terrifying thing I've ever done. If you have 2 lanes they will pass in between the lanes. We were driving on a highway and there was a sign that was literally a rock and an arrow pointing at the rock. We said what the hell does that sign mean? 2 seconds later we almost ran into a giant Boulder that was parked in the middle lane. My husband downshifted and changed lanes just in time. I love how instead of breaking up the Boulder and removing it, they just made a sign that meant Giant Fucking Boulder Ahead.

Not driven in Italy myself, but I imagine it's terrifying. Motorscooter is prolly the best way to get around their cities. Or a tiny Fiat or something. My friend always said driving around Naples is always absolute chaos. Alleys as wide as the car with right angle turns and shit 

In Mexico you just buy your license. No test I think. At least back in the day. Driving there is very different. And they bring it here. OH I WANT THAT EXIT comes across four lanes of freeway traffic with no blinker to make a right turn at the exit.

Perfectsim, that's why I stayed away from Subrarus and Hondas. Notorious for transmission problems. I personally love Toyotas because you can do your worse and they're like a dog and shake if off and keep going.

• 3 months later...

I think these issues of disorganization -- of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing, so to speak -- have been happening since long before the Great Toilet Paper Shortage of 2020. Every time you call someone to get an answer on why the thing didn't happen that was supposed to happen, you talk to a different person each time, and get rerouted to a different department, and they don't know what's going on so they transfer you to someone else who also hasn't a clue, and the problem doesn't get solved. It may have become worse due to staff shortages and whatnot, but it's always been there. Nobody seems to be able to keep files organized and easy to access, which is really bizarre to me. We have computers for a reason, because they supposedly make it easier to keep files in order and not lose stuff, but our technology seems to be having the opposite effect. Whether it's in a computer or a file cabinet makes no difference whatsoever. People still lose stuff and don't know where to find anything and are too incompetent to stay organized. "Organizing Your Shit" should be a class in high school. Then maybe people will be better at it by the time they get a job in an office.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.