"Why do I feel like we're never going to see him again?"

Quetzalcoatl

Growing up, I watched ANH countless times.  When I was in Kindergarden, it was shown on one of the cable movie stations every night, and watching it was part of my nightly routine.  The scene when they're all on the Death Star, and Obi-Wan leaves the rest of the gang to go deactivate the tractor beam so the Falcon can escape, I could swear Luke used to say something like "Why do I feel like we're never going to see him again" after Obi-Wan leaves the room, but he doesn't say it now.  Am I crazy, or did he used to say that?  In the film now, the first line uttered after Obi-Wan leaves is Han saying "Where did you dig up that old fossil?"  Am I remembering it from something else?  I remember my cousin used to have audio records of the movies.  They didn't contain the complete dialogue, but I remember that they came with picture books and we were supposed to follow along while listening.  Maybe I heard the line there?  Does anyone else remember that line?  

I know what you mean though - there are really small things I remember differently from the countless times I watched the film in the ‘80s before the big changes came.

One really random one is when Owen is asking Beru if Luke took those 2 new droids with him when he started work early. Her reply in my head is more of a chuckle version of “I think so” rather than the more emotionless answer we have. Hard to explain that properly but hope it made sense!

Has to be my memory getting it wrong as there’s no reason to change that sort of stuff!

But the one that annoys me is that with all the changes made since the SE’s were released in ‘97, they never cleaned up the issue in ESB where after Luke has kicked Vader off the carbon freezing chamber platform and then jumps down, you can see Mark stand straight back up again. 
Surely that could have been tidied up by now?

5 hours ago, Rogue 3 said:

I know what you mean though - there are really small things I remember differently from the countless times I watched the film in the ‘80s before the big changes came.

One really random one is when Owen is asking Beru if Luke took those 2 new droids with him when he started work early. Her reply in my head is more of a chuckle version of “I think so” rather than the more emotionless answer we have. Hard to explain that properly but hope it made sense!

Has to be my memory getting it wrong as there’s no reason to change that sort of stuff!

You’re not the only person to note this, there’s been debate over the years that her voice was redubbed at some point. Some people say it was for the first rerelease before ESB came out, some say in the early 90s THX remaster.

1 hour ago, Tank said:

You’re not the only person to note this, there’s been debate over the years that her voice was redubbed at some point. Some people say it was for the first rerelease before ESB came out, some say in the early 90s THX remaster.

Oh really? Ah thanks goodness! Thought I was going nuts! 
But of all the things to change!

15 hours ago, Quetzalcoatl said:

In the film now, the first line uttered after Obi-Wan leaves is Han saying "Where did you dig up that old fossil?"  

Actually, the first line uttered after Obi Wan leaves is Chewbacca saying, "That old man is mad." ;)

7 hours ago, Rogue 3 said:

They used to have the Storybooks in my elementary school library. I'd check them out an reread them every chance I got. Those books had pictures of things that were either not in the films (Luke and Biggs talking on Tatooine) or of stuff that was in the films but different angles/different looking shots. That stuff got burned in my head and it would confuse me years later of whether I had really seen it in the movie or not. 

I had both the LP story version and tapes of the radio production and for years was conflating lines and memories.

I still remember Luke having a yellow lightsaber in ANH.

We used to have a thread dedicated to all the false memories and misheard lines of the OT.

I remember in TESB, in the scene where R2 gets swallowed by the swamp monster and then spit out, Luke used to say to R2  "You're lucky you don't taste good," instead of "You were lucky to get out of there."  Changes to dialogue like that seem unnecessary. 

Same in ROTJ. When Han grabs a gun to shoot the tentacle pulling Lando down into the Sarlacc, Lando screams, "No way, I thought you were blind!" Han used to respond, "It's all right, trust me." But now Han says, "It's all right, I can see a lot better." As Zathras said, unnecessary changes to the dialogue that in this case, hurts the film because it was more in line with Han to say "trust me" in his usual sarcasm. 

That whole addition was unnecessary and it’s  confusing as to why it was added. They changed Vader’s line because they added the shot of him walking up to his shuttle already parked. So it wouldn’t have made sense for him to say, “bring my shuttle” when it’s  already right in front of him. But why add those shots at all? It hurts the film because the focus should be on the Falcon and its escape. The new shots even cut off Williams’ score that builds as the Falcon gets closer to being caught before R2 fixes the hyperdrive. 

Agree completely. Trying to solve a prob that wasn’t there - thinking that it was confusing that Vader just suddenly appears on the Super Star Destroyer.
Worked perfectly how it was and just is odd having outtakes from the start of ROTJ.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2022 at 5:38 PM, Tank said:

I had both the LP story version and tapes of the radio production and for years was conflating lines and memories.

I still remember Luke having a yellow lightsaber in ANH.

We used to have a thread dedicated to all the false memories and misheard lines of the OT.

Is that why the old action figure had a yellow lightsaber?

Other way around. The OG toys presented Luke’s lightsaber as yellow just so it would stand out as different from Obi-Wan and Vader. It created a cognitive dissonance and tons of people my age swear we saw it in the movie— but it never happened.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.