Loaded supreme court’s lead to bs rulings.

Ms. Spam

4 hours ago, Ms. Spam said:

Here is another ruling that is wrong:

https://www.vox.com/2022/6/27/23184848/supreme-court-kennedy-bremerton-school-football-coach-prayer-neil-gorsuch?fbclid=IwAR0hzQwzHW53loVKiXwse-YOkWDqcbt7rNxqSi8lgNrLNKVeKKcpaMU__H4&fs=e&s=cl

the court was mislead by the facts and handed down a ruling that just makes life more confusing for school administrators. 

And how many years of practicing the law do you have to determine what is a proper or improper Supreme Court decision? 

Disagree with it all you want, but be honest - you disagree, but you have no freaking clue whether it's right or wrong. Nobody here has the knowledge required to comment one way or the other.

This case has been in the news big time here in Texas because everyone "Secretly" prays before games. One of the hallmarks of a result-driven ideological judicial decision making is when the facts of the case are portrayed in a manner that paves the desired result, but bear little resemblance to the actual facts of the case. This is more concerning because I think this court is loaded with a certain type that's going to make history for the changes in case law.

Exhibit A in this category is Justice Gorsuch's opinion in Kennedy v. Bremerton School District, handed down yesterday. The Court held that a public school football coach could not be disciplined for quietly and privately praying by himself, without involving students, during moments of free time -  but that is a far cry from what actually happened in this case.

Which creates a serious problem for school administrators of how to apply the case as precedent to future situation s - is the case precedent for the facts as hypothesized in the opinion, or the actual facts in the record?

The problem is a feature, not a bug, from the standpoint of an activist judge wanting to create con fusion and uncertainty that will make it more difficult for school districts to protect the students from proselytization by religiously-inclined teachers and staff. 

Just as thought as we move to a theocracy by the smallest voting voiced population asserting its authority over the larger uncaring atheist population we're converting to. Oddly I say this as a devote Christian. HA!

In this case, "actual facts" meaning the version that you prefer. That was one of the problems with this case, there was no agreement as to the facts. So both sides are running with the version that they prefer. And a lot of people pretending to be experts even though they aren't, because they did their research and read an article that coincides with their politics.

There are literally photos of the prayer session and students said they felt coerced to pray or lose playing time. One of the photos was apparently included in the courts decision as support to them saying it was a private not public setting.

You can shout down people all you want, Brando, you are both the admin here and a Christian, you have the power here. So keep getting your panties all twisted whenever Christianity is mentioned and keep ignoring reality.

I’m done here.

Ban me too, bitch.

Afterthought: So there is no confusion. Really and totally fuck you, Brando. Just disregarding Spam because she isn’t a lawyer. Just completely pushing her to the side because of some arbitrary qualification you have decided is needed to understand and comment on the topic. Fuck you so much. Taxes are going to Christian schools now, prayers in public school, abortion bans, contraceptive bans on the table, LGBTQ+ community at literal heightened risk, YOU DON’T NEED TO BE A FUCKING LAWYER to understand things. Look, Walt calling for violence was a line. But you are as much a fucking asshole as anyone that has posted here. So from one asshole to another, fuck you.

Yeah, I don't know. I actually liked Brando's last post because he has a point. I am not a constitutional lawyer but some rulings that are being handed down are going to affect some day to day life things. This one kinda affects me as a teacher because of prayer. There's actually some interesting state supreme court rulings here in Texas concerning a prayer mosque in a repurposed laundry room in an apartment complex in Dallas that may end up in the Supreme Court.

Yeah, I hope e wry one involved here is okay.  I know you’re all dealing with a lot. It’d stink if we end up losing both Brando and THT as active members here.

it just really sucks how polarized everything is, which just makes it so hard to have conversations with even other friendly folks like we pretty much exclusively have here these days.  Throw that on top of the difficulties we’re all experiencing in our own lives and…man.  Please take care of yourselves, everyone, and, when possible each other, too.

There are not any posts missing. For the record I am of course Spider-Man, Torch, THT, etc etc.

I went off because of Brando gatekeeping. The entire idea that someone has to be specialized to comment is repugnant. It is a tactic to quiet dissent. The US has been slowly dismantled from the inside for years, people have been showing what is happening for years while fence sitters in turn say that both sides are wrong. “It’s both sides, so sit down.”

No person or organization is perfect. And there is plenty of blame to show that Democrats aren’t seizing opportunities and the pathways presented to them in order to push through the begged for changes by the people en masse which put them in power again to make change. Those people that did what they were required to do by voting, and protesting, and financial support. Those people that continue to do so and are brutalized by oppressive police responses, during events occurring under the leadership of both sides that is true, but yet responses which are also not delivered equally to both sides.

It is one side that has unwavering support for this apparent police state. It is one side which has stripped reproductive healthcare and still is going for even more stripping of reproductive healthcare. One side is now going after indigenous rights over both land and indigenous children. One side is going after marriage equality. One side is working to recriminalize the private and consensual acts people do in their own relationships and homes. One side has finalized the authority of ICE to invade the vast majority every citizens home without cause or warrant. One side is clouding voting rights, and laying false claims of fraud to destabilize and delegitimize the process. One side is voting against regulations of price gouging. One side is working against debt relief for people. One side is working against school lunch programs, and going after other social nets including social security. One side literally voted against providing infant formula during a shortage. One side is voting against defining what a groomer is for legal purposes. One side spouts anti-scientific rhetoric that endangers everyone, highlight to the push against medicines, masks, and the environment. One side is against gun legislation, while the nation continues to mass murder itself. And this is not even everything.

Walt is angry, and rightfully so, and he expressed himself with vitriol here in Roe vs Wade.

I am angry and have done the same. I am married to a bisexual woman, we have mature children that have explained they too are on the spectrum of sexuality. We also have a child that requires medication lest she succumb to seizures which could result in serious harm or worse. These medications also lower the effectiveness of many forms of birth control, which puts her in double jeopardy given the gouging of prescription pricing, the lack of healthcare support, and the stripping of reproductive healthcare rights.

Spam here has every experience she needs to raise concerns. So when she was shushed, I responded. Whether that was 0 to 100 considering the above is for others to decide. I have no regrets. And I offer no apology. I am tired.

A faith I once held, which has been taken hostage by bigots, taught me that sometimes you have to over turn the tables to make a point. I don’t care anymore if you’re sitting at the table. If I had been diligent alongside others who were already, and fought for my faith perhaps this repulsive movement wouldn’t have reached this point.

Be that as it may, and I don't want to get involved either because it happens to be 2 people I like, I find it disturbing that SCOTUS is now trying to revisit LGBTQ rights and voting rights act.  It is already disturbing that Roe was overturned (to me...I don't like abortion, but also feel it is necessary in some cases and should not be restricted).  I don't know what the answer is, but I think SCOTUS has too much power, and I would argue that a mere 9 people deciding the fate of 320+ million US citizens is too little.   Just as the legislative branch has a mechanism to increase representatives in states as population grows, so too should SCOTUS grow.   I don't think it is unreasonable for SCOTUS to have 15, or even 21 justices at this point.  The fact we have a far right supermajority that does NOT reflect the current population of the US leads me to believe there is too much inequity and too much power given to SCOTUS right now.   A way to fix that I think is to allow more justices, and that is not unprecedented.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.