Jan 6th Hearings

monkeygirl

I’m watching bits and pieces but so far it all seems kind of ... scattershot????? I don’t know. It doesn’t seem to be functioning well as actual political praxis (nobody important is facing charges!), it doesn’t seem to be functioning well as political spectacle (they’re not substantially redefining how the public sees the event itself!), it doesn’t seem to be functioning at all to provide what’s necessary for the historical record (forgive me, I’m not a lawyer, but shouldn’t every moment of every interview be online!?!?), what is it then!? What does it do? Who is it for? Probably better to do it than leave it undone, I suppose. It’d be odd if there weren’t hearings, y’know? It’d seem weird.

I'm not sure what things being online has to do with having a historical record. I've tried to think about it, but every time I do I just become snarkier and snarkier.

But, overall, this is important for all of the reasons you're claiming.

1) These hearings are part of an investigation, not a trial. So there is a chance that important people could face charges, but there needs to be a public investigation so that we can at the very least hold people accountable in the smallest of ways.

2) This is huge political spectacle, but it doesn't have to be about changing positions. The majority of Americans know what happened, but the facts are viewed through very different lenses - but the biggest danger is getting the people who are on the sidelines to understand that this wasn't a minor thing that happened, and the GOP is exceptionally good at blaming their evils on others. So keeping this in the forefront is important because if it isn't, these people will absolutely end US democracy.

3) Things being online has nothing to do with historical record. Every second of these hearings is being recorded in the Congressional records.

I’ll try to clarify my opinions, man.

Re: actual political praxis — My thing is that they seem to aiming straight for the absolutely smallest of ways to hold these people accountable instead of going big. They could’ve started out by declaring that they’re going to recommend to the Justice Department that they charge the former president of the united states and eleven other speakers at the rally with pretty much the same offenses they’re charging every other dumb dumb who went into the capitol building on January 6th, right!? The hearings could’ve been about laying out to the public why they’re doing that. Instead it’s about ... ??? ... the soul of the nation??? The future of democracy???

Re: political spectacle — My thing isn’t about changing hearts, it isn’t about changing minds, it’s not about changing positions, my thing is that they’ve got to show the shit smeared on the walls of the capitol building. They’ve got to show the blood on the corpses. They’ve got to show the gravestones of everyone who died that day or died a few days later. That’s what I mean by substantially redefining the event itself. Something like six out of ten Americans think the president committed crimes so if they’re not going to go big and actually put the cuffs on him then they can at least make it brutally clear to the public imagination what the nature of that crime was.

Re:historical record — For the hearings they conducted a lot of interviews, right!? I’m seeing excerpts of recordings of those interviews played during the hearings. I think the entirety of those interviews, soup to nuts, should be made available to the public, to the world at large, for the sake of history, for posterity itself. Because it’s the 2020s they can just put this stuff online, right!? They clearly have videos of these interviews! I’m seeing bits and pieces of these interviews and I want to see the rest! I want to read the transcripts of these interviews! That’s what having things be online has to do with the historical record, man! Historians have Internet too! They’ve got the same Internet I gots! I acknowledge that I’m not a lawyer so I don’t know if that is or isn’t strictly speaking legal. Maybe the reason we’re only seeing the relevant portions of what Bill Barr or whomever said under subpoena is because that’s the way it works. Maybe all that stuff will be released/published later. I don’t know! I’m speaking in ignorance here, on this and so much else!

• 3 months later...

Talk about Teflon. Turns out that him saying they put up the Secret Service free of charge was a lie and they overcharged for those hotel rooms. Trump is coming to Texas for a rally and a bunch of protesters are planning to go because trump has now turned this into a kind of business or in my mind the grifter is just continuing. 

• 2 months later...
19 minutes ago, Cerina said:

I'm thankful that this is going down in history books. I make no assumptions about the future, but at least it's been well documented for generations to come. 

Me too.  Regardless of outcome, Trump will go down in history as a 1-termer, twice-impeached, disgraced, and now, recommended for criminal charges.  He will be considered one of bottom, if not THE worst and most corrupt of presidents.  

I do believe he will go down in history as one of the worst, if not the worst. I have never understood what people see in him, I have relatives who still think he was one of the best we have had (and of course Obama was the worst somehow LOL). Somehow they still believe the stolen election thing even though no real evidence for it has ever been found and all the hearings are a witch hunt.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.