Help me with Bible Verses!

Ms. Spam

So for Tina's funeral I am asking people to wear comfortable pants and an oversized t-shirt preferably of cats and memes on them. Because it should be fun.

But it will also be somewhat traditional and I am wracking the old noggin' for Old Testament verses to be read. Psalms is easier and New Testament and the Gospels will be easy. But the Old Testament was never my favorite part beyond Psalms. 

Isaiah 41:10 

Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.

Then there's Lamentations 3: 22-24:

Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, “The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.”

The whole thing has been left up to me so I am just working through this and probably need a place to put it. But if you guys have any ideas it would help me infinity.

Tough one! I’ve personally used Psalm 91:15 (“He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him, and bring him to honour.”) in a little mini-speech to mark the occasion of my grandfather’s death but I’m not necessarily sure the particular contexts which made it meaningful will automatically translate outside of the local circumstances. Umm, I’m thinking, I’m thinking ... oh wait, I see you’ve said that Psalms is already covered and you’re trying to cover the Old Testament now, oops, sorry... umm... okay, now I’m just looking through my browser history trying to find what bits and bobs of the Bible I’ve looked up recently (I Samuel 13:19, Song of Songs 2:13, Genesis 2:7, Deuteronomy 23:3, I Kings 11:3; nah, not sure these would really be fit to purpose) and coming up kind of empty.

Huh. I don’t know. There’s Numbers 11:11-17 where Moses complains to God about how tough is to look after others (“I am not able to bear all this people myself alone, because it is too heavy for me.”) and God is all like, okay, man, I’ll find you some folks to help you out, here you go dude (“And I will come down and speak with thee there; and I will take of the spirit which is upon thee, and will put it upon them; and they shall bear the burden of the people with thee, that thou bear it not thyself alone.”).

There’s Isaiah 53:10 (“Yet in whom the Lord delights, He oppresses them with disease; to see if their soul would offer itself in guilt, that he might see their children, lengthen their days, and that the desire of the Lord might prosper by their hand”, I’ve freely translated there a little, sorry) and Jeremiah 15:18 (“Why must my pain be endless? My wound incurable, resistant to healing? You have been to me like a spring that fails, like waters that can’t be relied on.”), probably too morbid, hmmm, I’m trying I’m trying, let’s see.

Uhm. Isaiah 43:2 (“"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee") and Job 22:21 ("Acquaint now thyself with Him, and be at peace, thereby shall thy increase be good")? Micah 4:6 (“On that day, saith the LORD, will I assemble her that halteth, and I will gather the outcast, and those I have afflicted”)? II Samuel 22:29-30 (“For Thou art my lamp, O Lord; and the Lord doth lighten my darkness. For with Thee I run upon a troop; with my God do I scale a wall.”)? Jeremiah 29:11 (“For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and hope.”)?

I don’t know. Bibbling and bobbling through Sefaria Dot Com trying to find relevant verses kind of makes me feel like Matt Walsh’s character from Veep (‘12-’19) asking his phone why God allows suffering. Hope this helps!

In the past, you’ve maybe mentioned being Episcopalian - do you accept the dueterconanical books? I have suggestions but I’m tired and a little buzzed.

I too have been a little buzzed. Ha. We are Lutheran. Or Catholic light as I call it. So it will be a kind of mass said for her. If I can do it I am going to try and sing the Psalm. I had prayer cards printed with “The Lord is my Shepherd. . . “

We are not doing communion which would be weird for the heathen Baptist side will be confused as to what to do. 

i am also getting her rosary cleaned so it can be on the altar. No open casket. I am trying to pick a good photo to blow up and print. I like this one of her all bandages up after getting surgery for her port. It was a day or two later and we had gone for Thaiimage.thumb.png.d155f868d371aa081de73c2dc3ab00e1.png

That’s a great picture! I remember now, but Catholic light kinda works for both, even more if you’re actually in England with the Episcopalians/Anglicans.

I’ll share thoughts in the morning. 

For both of my parents I went with 2 Maccabees 12:43-46

Judas [the ruler of Israel] then took up a collection among all his soldiers, amounting to two thousand silver drachmas, which he sent to Jerusalem to provide for an expiatory sacrifice. In doing this he acted in a very excellent and noble way, inasmuch as he had the resurrection of the dead in view; for if he were not expecting the fallen to rise again, it would have been useless and foolish to pray for them in death. But if he did this with a view to the splendid reward that awaits those who had gone to rest in godliness, it was a holy and pious thought. Thus he made atonement for the dead that they might be freed from this sin.

I also love Job 19:23-27, Wisdom 3:1-9,  Isaiah 25: 6-9, and Lamentations 3:17-26.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.