Starfield

Odine

Yeah I think I’ll be jumping on the hype train as well. The fact it’s a Games Pass day one release means less opportunity for any ‘pre order’ shenanigans to go on and unless I missed something, no mention of any multiplayer - hopefully means the corporate side has leant from the F76 stuff and backed away a bit. 

And building your own ship like a settlement in F4 is really cool. 

I've been lowkey imaging a game exactly like this in my head for years (more or less). I was VERY excited by that gameplay video... but No Man's Sky, Cyberpunk, and Mass Effect Andromeda hurt me bad enough that I remain skeptical that all these things will survive and work in the final product. I hope I am wrong, because if I am, and this game delivers as they promise, it may be my favorite thing ever.

That said, not loving that they are not giving the PC a voice, and the quest for alien artifacts is something I feel like is pretty tired.

I too am cautiously optimistic. Everything shown about this game looks like it was plucked from my day dreams, except like Tank noted the ancient “mystical” artifact trope. I’d rather it just be ancient artifacts, space archaeology essentially… the non-Indiana Jones type of archeology anyway. lol

I’d get a kick out of discovering some ancient civilization and then having my team analyze the findings to discover these people killed themselves and their planet via such and such thing wrong in our present society. At least once anyway. Feels like it’s better than racing for some Holy Grail for the power, fortune and glory.

I'm in love with the UI, the character creation, the ship building UI looks soooo satisfying and fun. Like making a Lego space ship but cool. 

I wanna become a space pirate/viking and bezerk my way across the galaxy. 

Ah man - shame this isn’t coming to the PlayStation.

Out of interest, did No Mans Sky improve with later updates? I got it at release and enjoyed playing it, but it was a bit light initially.  Meant to go back to it, but other things got in the way.

No Man’s Sky is notable for over promising and under delivering, but then delivering. It’s a robust game now, with hundreds of hours of gameplay. That said, it’s still not a story driven experience (in the sense of Mass Effect etc) nor is it everyone’s cup of tea in the control scheme manner. I personally didn’t like the flying and navigation stuff, unless they changed that too, because it felt like maths. lol

Afterthought: No Man’s Sky and Fallout 76 are two neat turn around stories for when the developer and fans both don’t give up on a game. Neither are everyone’s thing still (usually because of how the story is told in them), but they have improved so much and are solid gaming experiences.

Yeah. No Man's Sky took until basically the last couple years to be what it said it would be at launch. They've also added a lot of DLC content to improve things and seem to really listen to their fanbase. My son plays it on and off-- there's not enough story for me to get sucked into it.

Cyberpunk and Andromeda got better partially thanks to patches, but also thanks to modding communities.

Fallout 76 is still trash in my opinion. I just don't like forced multiplayer. Even if they make it so you can't get sniped or attacked or otherwise harassed by no-lifers, the mere presence of uber-gamers on my map is disruptive. ESPECIALLY when they can build their temp bases wherever they want, and all quests recycle, and all loot is randomized. It is just lorebreaking for me-- and I'm not even getting into potential glitches that come with streamed games. I just hate it.

I really hope Starfield doesn't use Direct X 11. I think it will at least use Direct X 12, but might even be Vulkan. (That would be best for me) because I have discovered even though I have a high end Radeon GPU (RX 6800) it doesn't deal well with old rendering APIs like Direct X 11. As a consequence I sometimes get low frame rates in games like Skyrim. And it's not my hardware, its just the way bethesdas old engine and direct X 11 handles draw calls. Sometimes my modded skyrim dips to 30 FPS in cities or the open world in some instances, and then in a dungeon I'll be running 85-110 FPS. 

Cyberpunk on the other hand, a much more demanding game, runs at a stable 85 fps everywhere..with the odd dip to around 60fps but that's rare. Cyberpunk uses Vulkan as it's API which I think is better with modern GPUs, particularly Radeon cards.

(Boring nerd talk soz)

Yeah there is so many variables in PC builds that can affect how the game looks and runs it's crazy. So many minutia to think about. Consoles are an even playing field, though I wouldn't trade my PC for anything.

• 1 year later...

Had nothing to do on the weekend and paid for the early access…love love love this game. A lot slower to start than other Bestheda games, I’d say it took just over 10 hours for it to ‘kick in’ but when it does, it kicks hard. 

Helps that the sci fi setting they’ve gone for is my favourite - not too distant-far future, more Expanse/BSG than Mass Effect/Star Trek. Probably their most RPGish game since pre-Fallout 3 as well, can easily see this one topping their best. One of those ‘thinking about all day at work’ games…which we’re getting a bit spoiled for this year! 

I'm waiting on the mod community to fix a bunch of stuff and and some things and maybe a price drop before I commit. 

Still chugging through BG3 at the moment and I'm going to need to put distance between that and starfield before I play it. Because compared to BG3 it's not going to stack up for me. But since SFSE has been released the modding scene will go into overdrive in the coming months 

I’ve been playing Mass Effect Legendary with Mods (which has been amazing, ME3 is completely different experience) as a build up for Star Field. I too am hoping there’s a solid community patch mod soon to fix the usual “Bathesda jank” as one review put it.

There is a lot less of the usual jank in this one, it’s probably been the smoothest Bestheda release out of the gate, I think the additional months to iron and smooth out performance has really made itself apparent. But….yeah I still have some companions and NPC’s stare the complete other direction, so not perfect.

Yeah that UI is pretty dreadful in parts. I think I’ve spent 60% of playtime in the combat in the weapon inventory screen.

I don’t mind the Map/Star system as much now but last night I couldn’t land on New Atalantis cause I was already in Orbit from another mission, but they needed to scan me for contraband, so had to fly to another planet and then come back. But the game doesn’t tell you that, so I just assumed for 30 mins it was bugging out. 

But I’ve already sunk a lot of hours into this game and I’m still absolutely loving it. Putting points into the ship building, have a Class C ship with laser turrets…there are moments during space combat I feel like I’m playing a scene right out of the Expanse and it’s epic. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.